Take the Lead Reviews

• Oct 29, 2018

Take the lead isn't so much a motion picture as it is a lesson in how to force-feed every aspect of cinema into a formula. There's not a lot I can say in defense of Take the Lead. It's a Hollywood product, likely designed primarily for the DVD market. In the interests of maximum appeal, it loses any potential hard edges, soft peddling tough issues that deserve to be shown in their full ugliness. I don't doubt that there's a good story to be found in Dulaine's experiences, but it's not told here. If the topic interests you, I suggest bypassing Take the Lead and renting Mad Hot Ballroom. Not only is it a better made film, but it features richer characters and is a lot more suspenseful. (Could have been better but for the lack of a story).

• Dec 01, 2017

Extremely predictable, but hey the dancing and soundtrack is damn good

Extremely predictable, but hey the dancing and soundtrack is damn good

• Nov 19, 2016

We all seen this movie dozens of times. Antonio Banderas plays a latin dancer who gets a job teaching in a rough New York High School. His dances moves proves to provide valuable life lessons to the wild bunch.

• Sep 14, 2015

simple but fun to watch the dancing!

simple but fun to watch the dancing!

• Aug 15, 2015

I had seen this when it first came out on DVD; it's a very cheesy yet charming teen film, with some memorable moments, but it's hard to get past the terrible acting and very cliche moments.

• Jan 29, 2015

The dance sequences are occasionally great but the storyline is entirely too predictable and the characters barely even land. Full review later.

• Jan 11, 2015

Nothing new in this paint-by-numbers pic in which a group of misfits are redeemed through the majesty of dance. Antonio Banderas is, as always, likeable and the film should appeal to its target audience. Consistently engaging and altogether harmless with the right amount of sentiment.

• Jan 09, 2015

Cliched dance film, but Antonio Banderas was awesome as always

Cliched dance film, but Antonio Banderas was awesome as always

• Oct 03, 2014

Movies about dance are just as predictable as romantic comedies. The former always end up in a dance competitions, the later enjoy reunions after stumbling on an obstacle. Despite not having the most impressive dance choreography, the cast is interesting and watchable.

• May 24, 2014

I loved this movie! It's really good, and also very realistic I feel. Except for the fact that a school would never allow a teacher to teach the kids in detention how to dance. But one question... How many days of detention do these kids have?? Honestly, they're there all the time. ð???