The Tango Lesson Reviews

• Sep 29, 2017

The photography is really nice and the overall mood is warm and appealing. There's a few very well-made dancing scenes too; I did feel though that there were too many of them - and little story in comparison. Quiet romantic dramas may not require the most mind-blowing plot but good characters are still needed. When towards the end the two protagonists get to talk a bit more about themselves and each other it's a stark contrast to the schematic meta meditation on tango and film that came before.

• Sep 21, 2014

This daring feminist film depicts the relationship between a female film director and her male muse, a tango dancer. The intersecting motivations behind their relationship compel them to work together, even as they question the purity of their love. Many beautiful depictions of dance. I found this film profoundly nourishing.

• Nov 07, 2012

Slow paced, self indulgent and with some shallow performances and a paper thin plot. Yet, it's hard not to at least admire Potter who, at least behind the camera, shows creativity and passion, particularly when filming the many dance sequences.

• Jan 09, 2012

Watched this on IFC. Loved how intimate it was.

Watched this on IFC. Loved how intimate it was.

• Aug 01, 2010

An itinerary between beings, through different worlds, the worlds of tango, and a reunion... Definitely not a well calibrated product to conquer the largest audience, rather a voyage, a soul call

• Conner R Super Reviewer
    Apr 14, 2010

If I wanted to watch a movie stemmed from the likes of Dirty Dancing, I'd just watch Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. At least then I would felt like I had been watching a film. This is just one big dance lesson with a stereotypical shy Jewish woman and her Chilean lover. In no way is it entertaining or even the slightest bit interesting, it's probably one of the hardest movies to watch because it's so bland and downright idiotic. The film within a film idea is done horribly and constantly confusing for no reason. Just because you want to break the average narrative doesn't mean you need to do something like this. There's many more brave and rewarding films out there.

• Feb 28, 2010

One of the few arthouse films that I've enjoyed, one of the few that I've seen, and one of the few that I would give time to seeing. This film must have a *very* niche audience, who I dare say would adore the style- which would suite perfectly students and teachers of modern art schools and of the bohemian sub-culture in the UK and perhaps Europe. It just so happens that I liked it too. The dancing is what really grabbed me. There is nothing quite so beautiful and exotic as the Argentine Tango- and this is the real thing. There is lots of very well filmed dancing in both black and white and colour, in some very artistic settings- such as spontaneously while on romantic walks along the banks of the Seine River in Paris, and in vacant apartments in Buenos Aires. The film is in a sense about itself (Wah? I hear you say). That's right, the director (Sally Potter) plays the lead role in this, her own film, which is about a director who wants to learn the Argentine Tango from a star Tango dancer (who is actually played by a genuinely acclaimed Argentine Tango dancer from Europe), Pablo Veron. He in turn wants her to make him an actor in exchange for teaching her the Tango (confusing isn't it?), and so here he appears on screen, as her teacher. I did have an appreciation of the style of the film, which does take some forbearance in places- and I was amazed and enthralled by the dancing. Since seeing this film learning the Argentine Tango has been on my to do list before I eventually kick the bucket. It is a very mature and beautiful film.

• Nov 12, 2009

Wonderful movie by Sally Potter! The tango music is soo sensual and erotic that can means love, passion or hate! I love this movie!

• Jun 16, 2009

i loved this. self indulgent maybe. chick flick not really. framed like a documentary, questions of age and desire. and filmed beatifully.

• May 12, 2009