Texas Chainsaw - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Chainsaw Reviews

May 26, 2013
two stars
May 24, 2013
There's no "there" there. Someone at the studio wasn't thinking when they put this one together.
January 24, 2013
Evil wears many faces.

Good movie! When the movie first started I thought it was going to be a pretty good movie. I thought the opening sequence was amazing. After that the introduction with the main cast was corny but pretty much every horror movie is, because for some reason producers don't want to spend money on actors that can carry on a scene without running and screaming. When the horror begins, it starts to get better. I really liked how the film was unpredictable and you didn't know what was gonna happen next. Overall this film gets a 6/10 because it pays good homage to the original 1974 film, while adding different, original elements to the genre. Just don't take this movie seriously, because you will be disappointed. Go into it thinking it's a continuation/spoof of the original film, because this movie has some pretty funny moments. The sad thing is, is that I don't know if the makers of this film were intending it to be funny.

After the first massacre in 1974, the townspeople suspected that the Sawyer family were responsible. A vigilante mob of enraged locals surrounded the Sawyer house, burning it to the ground and killing every last member of the family. Decades later a young woman named Heather learns that she has inherited a Texas estate from her grandmother. she decides to bring her friends along on the road trip to invesitgate her inheritance. On arrival she uncovers she has inherited a mansion but is yet to uncover the terrors that lurk in the basement below it.
May 7, 2013
One of the worst movies I've ever seen horror or not. Why they continue to destroy this franchise is beyond me. I actually thought the 2003 remake was much, much better than this trash and at least watchable. I had to torture myself into finishing this because I wanted to shut it off after 30 minutes, but I stuck out the full 90 minutes. The plot is just beyond terrible. They seriously want us to sympathize with these characters? Please, I have more sympathy for myself for having to watch this. The acting is awful, the script is laughably bad, and the movie is just plain ugly. There's not a hint of intelligence in this. There's lots of gore, though. Obviously the movie does not even begin to approach being scary either. This is absolutely everything wrong with the horror genre these days. I only recommend watching this is you want to have the perfect example of what not do to. The worst part is that they wanted this story to be a sequel to the groundbreaking original film. Talk about disgraceful!
Mr Awesome
February 1, 2013
Disgusting, pandering, exploitative, and dumb, Texas Chainsaw 3D manages to be all of the above and more. It's offensive. Not in the way the original offended with it's stark naked brutality, but in the way something like "I Spit on Your Grave" offends, in that it has no value other than that of dollar signs to the filmmakers. It's offensive in that it seeks to manipulate the audience into siding with the blood-thirsty cannibals over the vigilantes who put them down. And much like I Spit on your Grave, the villains are dumb, southern white trash stereotypes in the way only people from Hollywood can portray them. The whole film strikes me as a battle of evil vs. evil, and in that situation, who cares who wins?

Alexandra Daddario stars as a girl on her way to New Orleans with her friends for Mardi Gras. On the way, they must stop off in Texas, as she's apparently inherited a bit of property from a grandmother she never knew she had. This property comes with stipulations, all hidden neatly in a letter the lawyer instructs her to read right away. She ignores this advice and soon is facing down Leatherface himself, now 20 (or 40) years older than he was in the original movie. The redneck townsfolk who killed Leatherface's family off all those years ago are now in charge of the town, and they're ready to finish the job they started. Of course, Leatherface is still a chainsaw-wielding cannibal, yadda yadda, let's not hold that against him please. You eat a few people and the next thing you know, people are trying to burn your house down, jeez. And, that's basically it. There's no real plot to speak of, just a lot of running around, running away, and getting caught. There is an abundance of unrealistic computer animated gore that just doesn't have any effect on me at all. It's almost cartoon-like. Texas Chainsaw 3D is a failure in just about every way. A big, dumb bore.
½ September 1, 2012
They just don't care anymore.
½ January 11, 2013
Tobe Hooper created one of the most terrifying horror films in horror history. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which was released in 1974 introduced horror fans to one of horrors greatest villains, Leatherface. Numerous sequels followed, and none were as great as the original. With the dawn of the 21century, remakes were in full swing, and of course The Texas Chainsaw was remade. Now fast forward to now. This is another bloated entry in the now ridiculous Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise and man was this film painful to watch. This is one of the worst horror movies that I have ever seen in my life and this is a poorly crafted picture that really doesn't any good entertainment value whatsoever. This is the worst type of filmmaking that I have seen, and the filmmakers clearly did not care about creating something fun, entertaining and ultimately memorable. Texas Chainsaw is very forgettable, and the cast is comprised of some of the most dreadful actors that I have seen, and the gore effects were horrible and laughable. This is the type of film that isn't it's so bad it's good. This film is so bad it's bad. The last dreadful horror film that I have seen was My Soul to Take directed by Wes Craven, and I have to say this film is pretty close to Craven's film in terms of sheer awfulness. This could have been an interesting horror film, if the filmmakers would actually have taken care of writing a good script, but this was definitely not the case. This is a film that relies on the same old clichéd formula of having good looking girls being run after by a maniac, and other such horror elements. But with this film, nothing works and it ends up being a laughable film that simply sucks big time. I hated the film, and this makes any Uwe Boll movie look like a Martin Scorsese film by comparison. If you're a fan of Tobe Hooper's classic film, you will be sadly disappointed in this one. As far as I'm concerned, this entry does not exist in the series, and for what it is, it is the Batman & Robin of the TCM franchise. Definitely avoid this one like the plague; you will be very happy that you did.
½ January 11, 2013
The most important thing to remember when you watch a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, is that you can't compare it to the original. No movie will ever reach the grisly terror that was unleashed in 1974. If you're hoping to stroll by the theater and witness anything comparable, you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment. If you do elect to view new "Chainsaw" movies, it's best to judge them as just another slasher film. If you do, you'll realize that there have been some entertaining installments in the past 39 years. Well, few, but still.

"Texas Chainsaw 3D" came about when Platinum Dunes announced that they would not be producing any future installments of the series. This prompted Lionsgate, who enthusiastically promised great things, to secure the rights to the franchise. Volumes could be written about how poorly Platinum Dunes handled several of their remakes, but to their credit, the pair of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movies weren't that bad. Both films were far from perfect, but they attempted to make the story their own, while delivering some sadistic brutality. Surely, if Lionsgate made good on their bold promises, fans would be in for some quality Horror movies. Unfortunately, the studio's initial effort failed miserably.

"Texas Chainsaw 3D" was intended to be a direct sequel to the 1974 classic. The best parts of the 2013 version are the first 5 minutes when they recap Tobe Hooper's film. Sadly, I'm not even exaggerating. The only good parts of this movie are the highlights of another movie. After introducing several plot holes, the story attempts to start off exactly when the original ends. Everything that transpires from that point on is just ridiculous. Even by slasher movie standards, the storytelling is absolutely shameful. The most unforgivable blunder is the fact that the filmmakers actually attempt to make the viewer feel sympathetic toward Leatherface and the Sawyer family! Really? I couldn't even make this up if I tried.
What an embarrassing error in judgement. So they begin the film by showing the clan shred an invalid with a chainsaw, before torturing his sister to the brink of mental incapacity, but this behavior is apparently excusable because the whole lot is just misunderstood. Talk about a massive departure from the realm of competent storytelling. The self-proclaimed writers are actually attempting to shovel this manure down the viewer's throat. As a lifelong fan of Horror movies, I was offended.

Aside from the horrendous liberties taken with the characters, this film offers nothing unique or even vaguely interesting. The murders are generic, the body count is slim, and to label the 3-D effects uninspired, would be a gross understatement. "Texas Chainsaw 3D" is an utter catastrophe.

The makers of this film should be entirely ashamed of the feces that they served up. They should be as embarrassed to have made this wretched film, as I am to say that I spent money on it. Here's hoping the crew responsible for this negligence aren't allowed anywhere near this franchise in the future.
½ January 6, 2013
Okay this review will contain some spoilers so if you don't want to know anything about the movie, just know it sucks and you should skip watching it. First, I will say the movie has some good gore and a couple of good "jump" scare moments. Oh an the 2 leading girls are hot. Those three things are the only good things about this turd of a horror movie. Okay, now the bad, this is a direct sequel to the original(forget the four sequels, remake, and prequel). Movie starts with a montage of the original, then picks up the day after the original when the people of the town burn down the house that the Sawyers live in. When the fire settles a man finds a Sawyer woman with a baby in the farm, kills the woman and steals the baby. The movie jumps to 2012 and that baby is now a 18-20 year old. Um, the original was set in 1974, so shouldn't she be almost 40?! From there the girl, Heather gets a letter that her grandmother has died and left her stuff. She, and three friends, drive an old beat up VW van to Texas to find that her grandma(that she didn't know about, because she didn't know she was stolen/adopted), was rich and left her a mansion. In the basement of the mansion lives Leatherface(who I guess should be 60 and runs super fast). He then kills her friends(and the hitchhiker they picked up), and she finds out about how her real family was killed, and ultimately Leatherface saves her from the town people. That's right, Leatherface is the hero of the movie. Now I love Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, and Michael Myers, but they aren't heroes. Their sole goal is to kill, that's it. No, Leatherface wants to protect this cousin he never met, and I guess she doesn't care at all that he murdered her boyfriend and friends, because she is buddy buddy with him at the end. It's stupid. I seriously can't believe someone wrote this script and it passed, and they made this a movie. I love horror movies and for the most part the remakes. I really liked the remake with Jessica Biel a couple of years ago, and if this were a sequel to that version, it could have worked better. But this is just a cash grab, because there was no thought to it at all. I saw it in 3D, and the 3D sucks. There are like two or three scenes where the 3D pops out and it doesn't even pop like I've seen in other movies. When you see a horror movie in 3D, you expect blood flying at you, but there isn't any of that. If your a horror movie fan, then you should give it a shot(don't pay for it though), because there are couple good deaths. But just know this is an insult to the legacy of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and will ultimately be forgotten.
½ October 26, 2015
I know I should have hated Texas Chainsaw 3D, it was an insult to the audience and more importantly to the original film. The CGI in the climax was awful and the story was about as dumb as they get. The whole time I couldn't stop myself thinking about how the whole thing made literally *no* sense.

But darn it I actually had a fair amount of fun with this one. And I guess, points for trying your hand at an iota of originality, even if, again, it made no sense.
June 10, 2013
Sharpen your chainsaws, cause it's time for another massacre in Texas Chainsaw 3D. This pseudo-reboot picks up where the original ended, as a lynch mob comes for Leatherface and the Sawyer clan, and burns them alive in their home; however a child survives and returns years later (along with some friends) when her grandmother leaves her an estate, but she finds that she's inherited more than she'd expected. Alexandra Daddario leads the cast and does a fair job as a scream queen. But there are a lot of script problems, and the film doesn't do anything new or interesting with Leatherface. Texas Chainsaw 3D has a few thrills and scares, but it's too formulaic and lazy to really deliver that much terror.
½ February 11, 2013
Texas Chainsaw 3D takes an admirable premise and slaughters it with a horrible script, wooden acting, and a large amount of gore with no scare factor behind it. Texas Chainsaw 3D's only pro is that it guarantees that the quality of films for the rest of the year has nowhere to go but up.
½ February 4, 2012
This iteration of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a direct sequel to the 1974 original. They really tried to make this one have a good story versus it being a 90 minute non-stop gore fest. Five teens ride out to Texas so Heather (Alexandra Daddario) can claim her grandmother's estate after her death. This is not an ordinary house, as the basement reveals. It isn't very long before Leatherface starts terrorizing the group, and that actually doesn't last long. The 2003 remake did not focus on telling the family's story but focused on what a horror movie should focus on: blood, gore, and being scary. This Chainsaw is hardly scary and while there is a lot of killing, it isn't as satisfying as it should be and the kills are not creative at all. Although it should have focused more on Leatherface chasing the teens, I still appreciated the fact that they tried to give this one a better story than it just being kids being killed by a psychopath. Towards the end, the main character Heather says "Do your thing, cuz." This is easily one of the cheesiest lines I've ever heard in any movie, and Alexandra Daddario's poor delivery does NOT help. Here, it seems taken out of context, but if you were to see the film, it would make more sense and the badness would be more understandable. I never thought one line could ruin a movie, but this one nearly did. Even though it should have been more scary and more entertaining, I was still relatively amused at where they were trying to go with this.
½ January 9, 2013
Texas Chainsaw 3D is just a mess of a film and shows how Hollywood just loves to keep horror franchises alive as long as they can. I enjoyed the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" film which was back in 1974, and this new film claims to be a sequel to that horror classic. But it's really just starting to get annoying that although this film claims to be a sequel, there are still about three other Texas Chainsaw films claiming to be sequels, and two other films claiming to be a reboot, and now we have this film and I just have given up. We have all the horror clichés here, which we all expected but now they are just getting ridiculous. There is nothing but attractive woman here with short shirts and short jeans and men that have brains smaller than a peanut. Then we have those ridiculous chase scenes where we all know it ends up with them getting caught by the villain (Leatherface). Then to top it all off it claims to be a sequel but almost tries to copy the entire premise of the entire to a point where I just started laughing. This movie is a direct example of the humor in Joss Whedons "The Cabin in the Woods" as he showed that horror films like this are what's wrong with the genre today. It's always just a bunch of dumb teenagers in a stupid situation, and at this point we really have covered how pointless this film is. I enjoyed the original film of this horror franchise, but it's not enough to make up for a pathetic waste of time.

The story follows time after the original film, where a girl named Heather (Alexandra Anna Daddario) discovers she is adopted and goes to collect the inheritance from her recently deceased grandmother. She takes a road trip with her friends to collect the inheritance, unaware that it includes her cousin, Leatherface, as well.

The plot of this film couldn't have possibly have felt more undeserving or pointless if they had tried. I mean not all horror franchises are terrible, I have enjoyed the Scream series and the Alien series, but for most franchises they just lose their luster after they make a first great film. This story just felt like they got a bunch of college frat boys who love horror films and sex to write a script to a horror franchise that just needs to die already. I would've loved to see another Texas Chainsaw film if they actually tried something new for once, but overall once I saw the "3D" in the title I knew this was gonna be a disaster. The characters are just annoying and play the common horror film teenagers clichés, and that's about it in a nutshell. Leatherface remains one of my favorite horror films icons of all time because of his haunting and mysterious role in the original film, but just as all the other sequels did, this just doesn't have the edge that I love about him as a brutal and heartless monster. It was a bold move to give a new twist on the character of Leatherface, which I actually did give the film a bit of respect for. But it doesn't change the fact that this was just an unwatchable mess of a movie. It's difficult to say something about a movie where we all knew it would end up a mess, but I just wish the writers had done something else to try to make this unique.

The cast made me sick to my stomach, and that is something I have rarely ever said about a ensemble cast. Alexandra Anna Daddario was a pathetic actress who was only on the screen for the men of the audience who love to see ditzy girls run from horror baddies. Her presence on the screen just made me wish this film would end sooner. Tremaine Neverson should've just stuck to his singing career, because this honestly was a pointless performance and character that just shows how low Hollywood will go for some screen time with an R&B singer. Tania Raymonde was nothing but eye candy for some more men, and she proves that looks actually cannot be deceiving. Scott Eastwood is the son of Clint Eastwood, and that is about all the talent this guy has in this film. I could go on forever about how every actor in this movie just made me bust a gut laughing at their terrible performances, but I will save you the trouble and just tell you that you will see nothing of interest in this film.

Texas Chainsaw 3D is exactly how it sounds from the title, a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie that has some cheesy 3D moments and starts out 2013 with a piece of trash. Nobody will remember this movie in a few months, just the same as all the other sequels to this franchise, and it will only remind me more of how much I treasure the original classic film. My favorite horror film of all time is Halloween, and sadly they were able to pull off a large number of sequels and a reboot that were all just complete trash. Luckily, the original Halloween still remains my favorite horror film because it reminds of a time when horror films were great and is also a reminder of how we should never pay attention to sequels in a franchise. This new film didn't peak my interest from the first few minutes I watched this film because I could play out how this movie would end and it turned out I was about 95% correct about everything. Some people really find a love and interest in crappy horror films like this one, and to them I say that they need to go see this right away because its truly as cheesy as a horror film can get. But to people who like a good horror film, I recommend you keep your money in your wallet and just stay home.
½ January 8, 2013
I love the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even if it did itself become an overuse staple for horror films I still consider it a classic. The sequels on the other hand I really don't care for, except this film is said to be a direct sequel to Tobe Hooper's 1974 classic. That alone made me judge this even more harshly because if any studio dare claim to make a sequel to a classic they better deliver and this does not in all deliver it is possibly the worst Texas Chainsaw sequel.

Texas Chainsaw 3D follows a young woman travels to Texas to collect an inheritance. I have to admit I haven't seen a more poorly written, generic horror, plague by plot holes, filled with cliche and stock characters, and stupidity since Prometheus. I really hated the poor writing in Prometheus, but this is somehow even worse in terms of writing. Whereas Prometheus at least has an audience that enjoys it even if it is flawed. This film is not capable of the same for it intended audience. Characters are so unlikable to the point where I just gave up and started cheering (as well as everyone in the theater) for Leatherface to kill our heroes. There's a scene where the protagonist runs into a carnival with Leatherface chasing her with no one in the carnival paying attention to that. I mean seriously, not single a person saw a chainsaw wielding maniac chasing a woman through a carnival! Guess it must be just another novel day in Texas. Sub plots are as useless as this film. They appear as frequently as they are abandoned. Sub plots have no other purpose but to tempt you to not continue watching. Also, the film attempts to make us sympathies for Leatherface which is one of the dumbest moments in the film because the film constantly shows him trying to kill people. This is a textbook of how not to write a horror movie; it almost becomes a self parodied of itself in the worst possible way.

As for the 3D.....NO ONE WANTS A CHAINSAW SHOVE INTO THEIR EYES. It's annoying and serves little purpose. It is cool to see blood and gore coming out of the screen, but when you get down to it it'll look ridiculous in 2D. The "acting" is non present. Calling the "actors" performances wooden is to much of a praise. Not a single line that was utter was even close to being credible. If there's any redeeming value it's Alexandra Daddario. Sure her character is meant to be 30, but looks like a 23 year old she's the only person that did not get on my nerve. At least she attempted to act unlike her other stars and at least she makes it somewhat watchable. Alexandra Daddario is the closest the film ever comes to being appealing weather it's visually or just not wanting to covering your ears when she speaks. Also, the film should have had a different director. I really mean it, director John Luessenhop has about the same creativity as a porno. Which is a good comparison because you always know what going to happen, he's more concern showing us beautiful people than actually telling a story, and ends in way that you question yourself for watching what you just witness.

Texas Chainsaw 3D is inferior in every possible way to the classic Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If it was a reboot or remake than it might have receive a slightly higher rating, but as a sequel to a classic is just setting it up for disappointment.
½ January 6, 2013
Immediately after the events of Tobe Hooper's 1974 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', the police arrive to arrest the family which carried out the title event. Also appearing on the scene are angry locals who torch the farmhouse, seemingly killing the entire family in the process. One female has escaped with her infant daughter however and when one of the vigilantes stumbles across her he knocks her unconscious, stealing the child from her. He and his wife raise the girl (Daddario) as their own, never mentioning the incident until the girl's birth mother dies, leaving her large Texas estate to Daddario, now in her early twenties. Setting off with a group of friends, Daddario arrives at her newly acquired Texan home, only to find that Leatherface, the killer from the original, has been secretly living in the basement.
In the last decade we've seen a remake of the '74 original, plus a prequel to the remake. This latest entry ignores both of those movies, instead acting as a straight sequel to the seventies classic. Of course, we've already had sequels, in '86, '90 and '94 but those films are discounted with this newest incarnation. Confused? Welcome to the world of the horror franchise, where "rebooted" continuity is the order of the day. This film opens by replaying all the kills from Hooper's film, then follows on straight away, ala 'Halloween 2'. This is troublesome for two reasons. Firstly, it ruins the original for anyone who hasn't seen it. (If that's you then you really should correct that oversight, it's a gem.) Secondly, if Daddario's character was born in 1974 it would make her at least 37. The actress is 26 and the character is obviously college aged. We know it's not set in the nineties thanks to the awful contemporary R&B the stereotypical black character (Songz) listens to. This is indicative of the lack of respect modern film-makers have for their audience, particularly those working in the field of quick buck reboots.
Luessenhop's film is admittedly better than the last few entries in the series, but there's little to challenge it. Hooper's original excluded, this is one awful franchise. The big problem here is how much time is wasted trying to develop a plot. There's a period of about twenty minutes in the middle where it actually feels like a slasher flick as Leatherface stalks his victims. Unfortunately it tries to be clever, taking a turn into 'Red Rock West' territory as Daddario finds herself trapped in a small town where everyone seems to be working against her. It's handled awkwardly, generating nothing in the way of tension. Leatherface disappears for most of the film and never feels like much of a threat. Despite having a lot more on-screen gore than the '74 film, this somehow manages to feel a lot more neutered.
I'm sure you could have guessed yourself but, yes, the 3D adds nothing.
½ June 1, 2013
Definitely not the best of the franchise...as the original is and always will be the best. It isn't the worst TCM sequel, however. It's got some pretty solid gore, and some of the 3D was pretty cool too (but not all of it). I wouldn't call it a "good" or well-made" movie either. But I liked it. There were some flaws though. A lot. The whole timeline mash-up kind of ticked me off a bit as well. The film is set in present time, and the main character should be about in her 40's when she's actually a teenager in the movie. Oh well, that's Hollywood for ya.