That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

May 25, 2017
I love this movie. If others don't, I guess I'm just alone in my principles.
May 22, 2017
I've seen this so ,many times and it is always good, light fun. Well done!
April 22, 2017
Upon first glance, this might only look like a basic, hedonistic glance into the American music scene of the 1960's, but with writer/director Tom Hanks at the helm of this surprisingly elegant ship, the audience is actually given a lot more to chew on than you'd expect. Apart from being a solid period piece, "That Thing You Do!" is also a brilliant comedic coming-of-age showpiece, a compelling exploration into the roots of human ambition, and a fascinating look at the dichotomous relationship between art and commercial capitalism. A fun movie? No doubt. But it's also quite a bit more than that as well.
½ April 10, 2017
This was interesting for a short lived band from the 1960's. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold up because the title song is being played over and over and over again! I wanted it to stop, which is not a good sign.
I do admire Tom Hanks for trying with this directorial debut, even though it was kinda pointless for him to be in the movie himself. The quality was decent!
March 25, 2017
With this movie Tom Hanks proves he can not only act amazingly well but also write and direct a movie.
"That thing you do!" is a great movie that has feeling and doesn't drag on.
The fact that there are not to many known actors in this movie actually makes it more enjoyable because the viewer can concentrate more in the actual plot and everything that's going on rather than a specific acting performance.
The soundtrack is one of the best cinematic elements in the movie and it really is one of the most enjoyable soundtracks I have heard so far.
The acting is by all actors is just great and the chemistry is just right. Also the audience experiences again how many feelings and emotions Tom Hanks can portray with his face alone.
All in all "That thing you do!" is a very enjoyable movie that just flies by and that every music fan should see.
March 18, 2017
Hanks debut is much like the actor himself: safe, reliable and innocently charming.
January 31, 2017
One of the great all time music movies. Excellent attention to detail. Awesome cast & very well written. Soundtrack A+
½ December 10, 2016
This movie is a lot of fun. Most movies about bands spent a lot of time on the troubles they have and the inevitable breakup. This one spends about five minutes on it and is just focused on being entertaining and light. I'm not a big Liv Tyler fan but she's good here. I'll probably have the title song in my head for the next week, but that's ok, it's pretty catchy. This movie doesn't have much in the way of plot or conflict but it's a good way to spend 100 minutes.
November 6, 2016
My favorite movie of all time.
½ August 22, 2016
That Thing You Do! takes place in the '60's and is the story of a kid named Guy Patterson (Tom Everett Scott) who works in his father's appliance shop, but plays the drums in his off time. After getting a gig to fill in for a drummer who got hurt, the band he's playing in, The Oneders, quickly takes off and becomes an overnight sensation after one hit song. As the viewer, you will witness way more highs than lows as the group's implosion isn't experienced until close to the end of the film. The downfall of the group, renamed The Wonders, is realistically quick and shows just how easy it is to become yesterday's news.

Movies with a lot of dancing and singing typically aren't my cup of tea, but it's not hard to win me over when the script is done well. There were plenty of funny moments that helped the movie hold my attention. As one of the announcers is about to bring them onto the stage, he can't seem to figure out their name as phonetically it looks like The Oh-Needers. The scene where the band hears their song on the radio for the first time is another especially fun moment. I could definitely see myself reacting the same way if something I poured my heart into made it to the masses.

The movie also succeeds at giving you likeable characters to root for. For the most part, everyone in the band is a good guy and you find yourself as the movie progresses hoping beyond hope that they continue to grow larger. You definitely get your wish in the long run, but we all know that fame comes at a cost. All four band members are developed well with their own respective drives fueling them to succeed. Guy just wants to make good music while T.B.'s goal is to kill time until his tour of service in the military. The characters are pretty consistent as they never deviate from what it is that they want.

While I'm two decades too late to have grown up in the '60's, That Thing You Do! does an excellent job of putting you right there. From the competing appliance stores with their box radios and tiny television sets to the teeny-bopper bandstand shows, these sweet touches incorporated not only suck you into the era but stick in your memory long after the movie is the over. While the film focuses on this one particular decade, Tom Hanks' performance as the fast-talking Mr. White was timeless. He was the glue that held the group together and helped maintain their forward progress. His acting was subtle, yet worked on a number of levels.

Yes, the movie was solid, but there were a handful of things that kept me from falling completely in love. At the risk of sounding like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, I thought the ending was a little rushed. The Wonders are a group one minute...then two minutes later they fall apart. It isn't merely their breakup that was rushed, but I don't want to spoil the film anymore than I already have.

And that song. How many god-forsaken times must you play that song? Over and over and over...I completely understand that "That Thing You Do" is what helped them rise to stardom, but I feel like they made me listen to it twenty times in the first hour of the movie. Might not have actually been twenty, but it was enough to be more than noticeable.

I also docked a few points because the ending is somewhat predictable. It's like watching a fast ball: It's a good pitch though you can see it coming a mile away. All in all, not a bad movie for a family night. I give it a 75.
½ June 23, 2016
Genuinely love this movie. The cast does well with their characters (Steve Zahn is perfect as Lenny), the script focuses on the important points, and it is completely family friendly. While fairly predictable from the outset, it takes you on a fun journey with the band. The song is enjoyable enough to have made it onto our road trip playlist.
May 31, 2016
Band become big then split up. Nothing else happens.
½ May 17, 2016
Outstanding story line
April 21, 2016
Anyone who's ever been in a band has two film assignments: Spinal Tap and this. That Thing You Do is as catchy a movie as the title song itself. That title speaks to how people experiencing a sudden life-shift quickly figure out who they should be. Why hasn't Hanks matched this directing/writing effort? His control over this world is so apparent. Mostly, it's an immensely quotable bit of pop-perfection that does so little wrong and oh so much right (Zahn is so wonderful he raises the whole thing a star).
April 16, 2016
Very good movie and very good soundtrack!
April 13, 2016
I still enjoy watching this movie! I love 50's music....and I was born not too far from Erie Pa.....so maybe thats part of the reason why! :)
½ April 9, 2016
A pleasant period piece about a '60s rock band becoming famous. The title song is catchy too. (First and only viewing - 12/8/2014)
March 29, 2016
Overly entertaining, this is one for the kids and the adults. It's remembered fondly today.
½ February 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Highly re-watchable.
January 1, 2016
Really great movie with a lot of great storytelling and character. So many up and coming talent and Hanks really shows a skill for directing and screenwriting. I didn't expect to like this film so much and I can't express how much I liked this film, something with heart doesn't come along that often.