That Uncertain Feeling Reviews

• Apr 04, 2016

Enjoyed this Classic Comedy with outstanding veteran actors who must have had fun making this film way back in the 1940's.Jill Baker (Oberon) is married to a successful businessman, Larry Baker (Douglas), but after six years, the bloom is off the rose. She goes to a psychiatrist, where, in the waiting room, she meets an opinionated pianist, Alexander Sebastian (Meredith), who introduces her to the world of art and music. She becomes fascinated with the world of culture and with him. Before you know it, Oberon and Douglas are divorcing, and Oberon and Meredith become engaged.A few great memorable lines, what could be heavy melodrama turned into a very light romantic comedy Lubitsch style, and probably worth your time if you run across it, but nothing to deliberately seek out. it's beautifully shot and the design is fabulous. This is the New York City we'd all love to live in. And Oberon looks ravishing. Her performance is convincingly comic, too, though she is so match for Eve Arden in an all too small role.

• Dec 28, 2014

It's not Ernst Lubitsch best film. I think it's a little bit stagey, but Melvin Douglas and Merle Oberon try to have some chemistry on screen. Both actors are good in their roles, and it's surprisingly nice to see Burgess Meredith (Rocky's manager) trying to expose an early comical vein.

• Dec 20, 2014

Merle Oberon, Melvyn Douglas and Burgess Meredith deal with 'That Uncertain Feeling' An enjoyable comedy from Ernst Lubitsch film based on a Sardou play... Good Second Level Lubitsch--In 'That Uncertain Feeling' a certain maturity and balance rules the writers. Sure, men AND women's flaws come to the fore, but as (or more)importantly, both sexes' attributes are on show, too, to boot... Hiccups and Keeks!!

• Jan 02, 2014

The wife of a workaholic man falls in love with an eccentric pianist as a result of her frustration. When her husband realises what is going on behing his back, divorce proceedings begin. Though the story lends itself sometimes too eagerly to the comedic genre and loses some subtlety, Lubitsch carries the film off with great finesse and intelligence. The cast contributes with some great and amusing performances.

• Dec 28, 2012

a remake of a silent 1925 pix crafted by ernst lubitsch.

a remake of a silent 1925 pix crafted by ernst lubitsch.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    May 01, 2011

With that cast and director this should have been much better. An ordinary comedy that tries to be saucy but comes across as strained.

• Sep 14, 2010

A hillarious Romantic Comedy directed by the Master Ernst Lubitsch with a Innovative Story and Fresh Dialogues

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

Although I didn't care much for the silly romance, the comedy was good for the most part, and I loved Meredeth's performance, it was unique.

• Aug 12, 2010

Anybody shines in this bad film directed by Ernst Lubitsch, whom I thought was infalible after watching masterpieces like Ninotchka. Merle Oberon was beautiful but uncharming, Melvyn Douglas seemed dull and Burgess Meredith was fine but not good enough to say he was the only reason to watch the movie. That uncertain feeling looks pretty oldfashioned and if it was funny some time, now it is completely the opposite. It's boring and irrelevant.

• Oct 26, 2009

I'm trying to watch as many Ernst Lubitsch films as I can find. This one wasn't one of his better ones, but still humorous at times.