The Cameraman Reviews

• Sep 14, 2019

Another Keaton winner! He's genius.

Another Keaton winner! He's genius.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Sep 11, 2017

This is such a brilliant little movie, so far ahead of its time, and like the rest of Keaton's work, so influential for generations to come. There are comedy bits that are still fresh today, a sweet romance blended in, and what seems like one great scene after another for 67 minutes. Keaton's character is loveable as a sweet guy who has fallen for a women (Marceline Day) who works in a newsreel agency, and who tries his best to 'make good' there as a cameraman. He runs to jump on a firetruck on the way to filming a fire, only to find out it's going back to its station. He goes out to the ballpark to cover the game, only to find out the Yankees are on the road in St. Louis that day, and then proceeds to skillfully pantomime pitching, batting, and running the bases. Later in the film, he'll get a monkey as a sidekick on his way to filming a Chinese holiday celebration that turns into an all-out gang war. By the way, that monkey is fantastic, and clearly well-trained. On the romantic side, Keaton convinces Day to go out with him, and after eagerly waiting for her call, tears down the stairs when the phone rings, with the camera following him in a nice side view all the way. Day is pursued by others who are more polished and better off than Keaton, but her character recognizes his sweetness and tries to look out for him. Keaton's physical comedy is brilliant while embarrassed in a room full of girls at her residence while waiting for her to come out, and then later as he crawls from the top of a double-decker bus to the lower level where she sits after they've been separated. There are then some excellent scenes at the pool: first, him changing in a very small space with another man, and then later losing his oversized swim trunks in the pool. This is a comedy that shows a lot of creativity and skill, but also manages to be touching and heartfelt. Its pace is great and there is never a dull moment with Keaton on the screen. Day is quite fetching as well. Great movie.

• Feb 03, 2017

The birth of a great man!

The birth of a great man!

• Jul 16, 2016

Buster Keaton's late great feature (after all of his greatest hits: The General, Sherlock Jr., etc.) is a slow-boiler that favours small gags over the giant set-pieces of the past. Still, by the end it has picked up speed (and a small monkey) and the usual chaos that surrounds Buster is in full swing. The plot involves Buster's attempt to become a newsreel cameraman in order to impress a girl. However, he is hapless as usual. Funny scenes include their date at the swimming pool, including a very awkward dressing room bit and a ride on the side of a bus (surely an influence for Jackie Chan). The Chinese Tong war is impressive. All told, this ranks up there with his best but marked the begin of his decline when directorial responsibilities were taken away from him by MGM.

Eric B Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2016

This is a good Buster Keaton comedy, though not on the level of his very best work. Buster plays a hopeful freelance cameraman who's intent to win both a steady news job and a pretty secretary from the news agency's office. The gags aren't as elaborately engineered as in masterpieces like "The General" and "Our Hospitality," and there's a substantial middle stretch where the whole camera premise is erratically abandoned to follow the romantic subplot (a sequence at a public swimming pool seems far too long -- but is that a quick flash of Keaton's bare tush after he loses his swimsuit?). Recurring encounters with a bewildered cop are funny and, as always, the shots of metropolitan life during the '20s are historically fascinating.

• Jul 19, 2015

Buster Keaton delivering the goods once more, in this bittersweet tale of a poor little fella trying to make it as a cameraman and to win the girl of his dreams. Its storyline is simple yet engaging, filled with perfectly executed gags and sweet moments, at times funny, at times sad. The ending, where Buster leaves the camera from his hands for the first time, elegantly reveals the moving truth of the film.

• Mar 25, 2015

Rollicking silent-era comedy from Buster Keaton. Simple yet engaging plot. However, its not the main story that matters, but the many detours on the journey. The whole thing is one random, funny adventure. Some moments of pure genius from Keaton. The dime bank scene was one, and the whole swimming pool scene was another. Great work from Keaton in front of the camera. Good support from Marceline Day. However, the show is almost stolen towards the end by Josephine, the monkey...

• Feb 25, 2015

Buster Keaton stars as an aspiring newsreel cameraman who tries to win the heart of a secretary at MGM. The film is genuinely funny, has some heart with the love story, and Keaton (as always) delivers on the stunts. The man gave his all for comedy.

• Aug 17, 2014

Just wind Buster up and watch him go. So our man (Keaton) gets the hots for a girl that works for MGM Studios. He develops a scheme to impress her by launching himself into a career of cinematography. This is the eighth feature from Keaton that I've seen (not including shorts), and the man has yet to let me down. He gives me exactly what I look for out of a silent comedy, and knows what to do to put a smile on my face. I watched this on Youtube, as the majority of the golden oldies are public domain, and while the quality of the picture on this was very good, I didn't really care for the music in a number of spots; I'm sure there are alternate scores for different prints, but I can do without a wacky sound effect whenever there is a physical joke. The camerawork, appropriately enough, is really well done, and there are some innovative things done with the editing in spots that are reminiscent of the great Sherlock Jr. There is a bit in this where Keaton is by himself on the baseball field, and that in a scene captures everything that I love about the man. I will always be won over by this Buster's charm, and I love him more and more with every movie of his that I watch.