The Eagle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Reviews

March 23, 2017
A bit too moralising in places, and the decision to give all the Romans American accents struck me as hamfisted.
½ March 19, 2017
It is one of the greatest Roman themed movies I've ever seen. Its plot is truly captivating.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 24, 2017
Like the first film, it is not bad for an average action film. It is no Braveheart or Gladiator, but it has its moments.
½ December 15, 2016
Great film. Great acting. Probably true of the Roman times.
August 10, 2016
Great movie. great to sit down and watch if you are into Roman history. Not a historically accurate movie but fun to watch.
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
I'm quite a big swords and sandals fan but not a big Channing Tatum fan and I couldn't imagine him playing a good roman, But eventually I watched it and Tatum wasn't the problem really, He played his part ok it just didn't ever get going, The story is easy enough to follow but it was told so boring and with little action there isn't allot to keep us entertained, It doesn't really know what it's going to do next and it makes the ending pretty poor so apart from the first 20 minutes which were good, There's nothing here that hasn't been done better before.
July 7, 2016
Good action and drama flick. In 140 AD, the Roman Empire extends all the way to Britain. The Eagle 9th Legion send 5000 soldiers into North and all vanished, including the golden eagle emblem. The emperor been dishonor and humiliated, build a wall to separate the sides, claiming it is the far end of the world. Channing Tatum grow up to be a general and choose to station at the post there. He want to bring back honor to his family because his father is the general that led that vanished army. At night, he heard sounds and think it is wild beasts. Still he prep the army and turns out it is a surprise attack. He bravely light up the fire spikes and defeat the enemies, reducing the loss. At day, his scouts are captured and gonna be executed in front of their camp by the enemies. Channing lead a few soldiers out to save them. He stood alone to spear the leader chariot and he got injured in the leg badly. He is been transport back home under the care of his uncle Donald Sutherland. His army become the top honor but he is also been discharge with honor. In the gladiator arena, Jamie Bell as a slave fear no death and refuse to fight. The spectators want him dead but Channing urge everyone to spare him and succeed. Donald later buy Jamie as slave for Channing which he didn't want to. Donald meets up an old friend and Channing suddenly got the idea to go North alone to find the eagle. Donald warn him of the dangers especially if he bring along Jamie who is from the enemy camp. The duo enters the north and is fruitless in their journey. During a rest stop, they were attack by rogue tribes and fight together. Jamie let a young boy go but Channing throw a knife and kill him. In the woods, they fight Mark Strong, who turns out to be a Roman soldier from the 9th legion. He says they were all attack in the mist and so fearful, many escaped. He was accepted by a local tribe and he settled down. He say Jamie know where is the eagle. Channing and Jamie fought and the vicious tribe that killed the 9th legion saw them. The prince Tahar Rahim ask Jamie why is he speaking in their language and he say Channing is his slave. Tahar bring the guest back to his camp. When the ladies are smiling at Channing, Tahar is angry he smile at his sister and gonna kill him. Jamie let him have the chance but he change his mind as he is a guest. At night the tribe celebrates the warrior ceremony. Jamie wake Channing to go get the egale emblem. But the chief already predicted. Channing kill the chief and escapes. Tahar led his warriors to hunt the duo. Channing is injured and ask Jamie to take the eagle and escape. He even freed him of his slave identity. Jamie says he will get help. He find Mark who gather the other escaped soldiers of his old legion. Both sides fight head on and Channing kill Tahar by drowning. Mark is dead and he is burnt in a hero ceremony. Channing and Jamie return with the eagle and bring back the honor of the 9th legion.
½ June 7, 2016
not bad film, acting, script or scenery. just never really takes off big
April 13, 2016
An poor movie with a weak story. completely uninspiring
March 27, 2016
This is a great sandals-and-swords movie about restoring family honor against insurmountable odds. No idea about historical relevance or accuracy but I don't really care either because I enjoyed this movie!
½ February 10, 2016
Dark, dull, and grey, although it does well with its low budget
January 20, 2016
From the gladiator's arena, posh Roman estate and old world battle field, his movie had an air of authenticity. It took the viewer to that time and Tatum takes us on a journey of honor behind enemy lines to reclaim his family's honor. Very enjoyable and a great popcorn flick to rent and enjoy on a Friday or Saturday night. Loved Jamie Bell's performance as Tatum's slave and hope this is only the beginning of more great performances.
½ November 13, 2015
The plot is not that exciting, but I found the settings and details worth watching.
November 8, 2015
The storyline was brilliant and had the potential to be as good as Gladiator but the choice of Chaning Tatum and Jamie Bell worked but not a good enough choice in the roles to make it a classic in my opinion
½ October 20, 2015
Last night I watched The Eagle starring Channing Tatum. It was pretty boring. Tatum brought zero life to this character. One moment he has an accent the next he doesn't. And the story itself is just dull and uninteresting. I ended up dozing off during this. Its just boring, period.
August 19, 2015
This is a great film for history buffs and especially for those Roman Empire fans like me. It did a great job for it's audience.
June 11, 2015
Great costuming and set design with capable actors and decent arcs. Unfortunately, the film drags, and it just never reaches the heights it needs to in order to achieve a status as a good film.
June 2, 2015
For a swords and sandals movie, it fairs well as a decent action flick, even if the direction is thin and uninspiring. If this film has anything of worth, it has a beautiful cinematography as it captures the eerily haunting feel of the wildness of north Britain.