The Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

F: 41%
R: 59%
Action Adventure Drama
September 17, 2016
A very difficult movie to rate. Undoubtedly a stunning visual feast (don't watch this on anything lower than HD), your ultimate acceptance of the film will depend on your acceptance of its final payoff. What made it worked for me was the revelatory acting from then child actor Catinca Untaru. Bravo!
September 3, 2016
Unusual film but I really liked it.
August 30, 2016
The fact that Sausage Party has a higher rating than this proves critics are hacks.
½ July 21, 2016
I give it 4 1/2 stars for editing and picture reasons. The story is good. Wish I could have kept my eyes open longer. I got tired and fell asleep.
½ July 15, 2016
Not only aesthetically stunning, with a wonderful cinematography and production design, but a highly imaginative, ambitious yet clearly self-indulgent work about love, and it is impossible not to love little Catinca Untaru, who couldn't be any better or cuter, she is fantastic.
June 15, 2016
Very good film. It looks very nice, has quite a few bizarre moments, is a very original story and has this little Romanian kid with a very good grasp of English and an astonishingly natural acting style which sort of blew me away a bit.
June 10, 2016
Wow, where do I start... the visuals, the story telling, the backstory, love, friendship. This film is a work of art!
June 9, 2016
Los Angeles, 1915: stuntman Roy Walker (Lee Pace) is hospitalized, as he is bedridden and possibly paralyzed after a jump he took in his first film. He meets Alexandria (Catinca Untaru), a young Romanian-born patient in the hospital who is recovering from a broken arm, and begins to tell her a story about her namesake. Alexandria is told she has to leave, but Roy promises to tell her an epic tale if she returns the next day. The next morning, as Roy spins his tale of fantasy, Alexandria's imagination brings his characters to life. Roy's tale is about five heroes: a silent Indian warrior (Jeetu Verma), a muscular ex-slave named Otta Benga (Marcus Wesley), an Italian explosives expert called Luigi (Robin Smith), Charles Darwin (Leo Bill) with a pet monkey called Wallace, and a masked swashbuckling bandit. An evil ruler named Governor Odious (Daniel Caltagirone) has committed an offense against each of the five, who all seek revenge. The heroes are later joined by a sixth hero, a mystic. Alexandria vividly imagines her friends and people around her appearing as the characters in Roy's story. Although Roy develops affection for Alexandria, he also has an ulterior motive: by gaining her trust, he tricks her into stealing morphine from the hospital pharmacy so that he can attempt suicide; a choice driven by his love leaving him for the actor for whom he provided the stunt footage. However, Alexandria returns with only three pills, having mistaken the "E" on the piece of paper Roy gave her for a "3". The stories become a collaborative tale to which Alexandria also contributes. Alexandria herself becomes a character: while Roy is the masked bandit, she is his daughter. Roy talks Alexandria into stealing a bottle of morphine tablets locked in a fellow patient's cabinet, and then downs it all. The next morning, Roy awakens from his sleep and realizes he is only alive because his neighboring patient is receiving a placebo rather than actual morphine. Alexandria, desperate to help Roy, sneaks out of bed to the pharmacy. She climbs onto the cabinet but loses her footing, falls, and is badly injured. She receives surgery, after which she is visited by Roy, where he confesses his deception. He encourages Alexandria to ask someone else to end the story, but she insists on hearing Roy's ending. Roy reluctantly begins the rest of the story...

When I saw "The Fall" the first time I was mesmerised by this fantastic, mythical and magical piece of film. Tarsem Singh creates films like no one else with such a vivid kaleidoscope of everything that makes the story truly come alive on the screen. Itīs one those movies that presents a a story that is unlike anything else due to Tarsemīs amazing visual vision. The cinematography, colors, framework, costumes, lighting, and beautiful backdrops. I reckon a dreamlike experience based on an intriguing storyline. The interaction between Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru is wonderful and she manages to be so real in her acting that she seems to not actually be acting. She seems unaware that she is in a film, and just do and say what she would say in reality in those interactions with Pace. The focus on heartbreak, revenge, love, friendship and darkness is portrayed in a very delicate and vulnerable way, but yet in a childrenīs book sort of way. But, when re-seeing it the fact struck me that I didnīt really like the way the story Walker is telling to Alexandria is told as it becomes almost too farcical and melodramatic in itīs performance. Yes, I understand that Singh wanted to really separate reality from fiction in the film, but I would love to have the story more "real" and dramatic. I reckon the film would gain a stronger outcome with that and less a sense of comedy. Roger Ebert gave the film 4/4, and wrote, "You might want to see for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it." And he is so right in that. You must love the dedication Singh has put into this film, shot in 28 countries for four years with only existing locations. I applaud that.
June 6, 2016
The told story is magical, visually stunning. Sadness and intensity holds strong stemming from the main characters depression. Still, lovely film. 7.5/10.
May 30, 2016
What appears at first to be gorgeous enactment of a child's fantasies comes to grip with the darkest and most ancient of human conditions, and basks in the natural resilience of the love that saves us from it. Intense, engaging, and with some of the best child acting I've ever seen, this movie is as heartbreaking as it is heartwarming. I can see where someone looking at the flashier parts of the story might find they detract from the realistic central plot, but the fantastic landscapes of the main character's imagination are so beautifully contrived that I can't fault them for it, and as the fantasy begins to incorporate allegories of the overarching narrative, we see the convergence of childhood and adulthood, of hope and despair, in some of the most beautiful surrealist cinematography I've ever seen.
March 19, 2016
One of the most wonderful movies I've ever seen. Reminds me of my own imagination as a very young child.
March 2, 2016
An incredible film that I wish more people would see. It's one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen and the little girl's performance is immediately engaging and charming
½ January 25, 2016
wow! this one was visually intriguing and also emotionally draining. one of my favorites
½ January 23, 2016
Gorrrrgeous film. Unique. Beautiful. A refreshing story about friendship and imagination with no limits. The little girl is simply Super! The ending is a fantastic tribute to "stunt" actor in silent films. Marrrvelous!
January 21, 2016
Visually stunning.
Interesting storytelling.
However, not sure what the story was about exacly.
An eye candy with possible meanings.
½ January 5, 2016
Leads great. Settings wondrous. Spoilt for me by violence of finale. Redeemed by genuine silent movie out takes at end. Overall, compelled to watch till the end because it's just a different movie than any other you have ever seen
December 29, 2015
Tarsem Singh crafts another tale of wonder and imagination with his visual treat, The Fall. After no doubt gaining equal amounts of negative and positive feedback from him mixed bag that was The Cell, Singh appears to have taken his strongest attributes and completely ran with them. It's a bold move but one that ultimately works. The Fall is set in the 1920's, when a small, inquisitive girl befriends an injured male patient in her hospital, he manages to craft a huge tale of adventure, which keeps the little girl coming back for more. It is extremely light on concept, allowing the smallest of plot threads and cliched moments to steer the entire piece, however taking a back seat and just allowing The Fall to take you in, you will no doubt feel a connection to the girl and the story itself, which boasts jaw dropping imagery, camera work and according to reports, absolutely no CGI, what so ever. The Fall is nothing short of gorgeous, from start to finish and Singh's visuals do nothing but astound all the way through, his roots in music video are clearly stated from the word go and his ability to turn the most intriguing of images into something so profound should not go without credit. There is a lot to like here, especially for fans of psychadelica, as you will be whisked off to another land almost instantly and find yourself locked throughout. Yet again, much like The Cell, Singh's weakness lies strongly in his ability to direct actors, and although his cast of largely unknowns do just about get the job done, its continually evident that Singh is only interested in the bigger picture, with the likes of character and acting allowed to go, just about, as ludicrous as the performers can, meaning that by the time the final act roles around, the hammy performances have reached fever pitch and the characters have no way to go but loud. It's a shame because nestled away in here is a fun and heartfelt piece, there are many emotional notes scattered throughout, its not that Singh wishes to ignore them, its his inability to connect on a human level with them, leaving The Fall constantly in fantasy land and rooted less so in logic. Regardless the overall piece is a vast playground of imagination, everything from colour to camera technique is stylishly executed with each set piece bigger than the next. There are moments of emotional genius buried deeply and at times they do struggle through, I only wish the director could trust in his ability to do what he is good at while concentrate more or his weakness, like character and acting. The Fall is at its best when taken as a visual delight, inebriation may be required, but if you relax and let yourself go, there is a huge amount of charm and flair on offer.
October 30, 2015
Quite a lovely fantasy adventure film.
October 28, 2015
This is a film of rare visual beauty. shot around the world in some of the most beautiful places on earth, the film will definitely embark you on a dream like odyssey. Unfortunately the story is a little thin and quickly the constant coming and going between reality and fantasy will prove to be more disturbing than interesting in my opinion. Nevertheless, the film is really well shot , edited and lit so on a technical level, it's quite an achievement.