The Secret of Kells - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of Kells Reviews

November 27, 2017
I came to this through Song of the Sea, which is one the most beautiful animated films ever; Tomm Moore and Nora Twomey's earlier film, The Secret of Kells, might just be the better film.

Brendan is a young boy living under the care of his over-protective uncle. His uncle is in charge of the Abbey, and he's obsessed with building walls around the Abbey to protect against the invading Vikings. (The Vikings are wonderfully designed; black, shadowy creatures with horned helmets that crowd the corners of the screen, creep towards the camera with slug-like movement.)

Everything changes when an old travelling monk, Aidan, arrives with a very special book he has spent his entire life working on. Brendan is immediately entranced, and gets roped into the creation of this book. This gets us into the real meat of the story, which is all about Brendan growing up, making his own decisions, and facing up to his fears.

The other plotline, apart from the coming-of-age and the learning-to-let-go, is about the power of knowledge. In The Secret of Kells, it's represented by a book, but it's presented as the ultimate power, more powerful even than the invading Vikings. Everyone who comes into contact with the book (knowledge) is awed, and immediately changed.

I hope both of these directors, as they've gone their separate ways, continue to put out animated films of this quality and depth. The visuals might be the candy coating that entices the viewer, but it's the depth of the story and the nuanced character portrayal that will stick with you long after the ending.
½ September 14, 2017
The animation in The Secret of Kells is mesmerizing, and the soundtrack is beautiful, which is probably why I fell asleep while watching it and had to rewind the ending-which wasn't that strong, to be honest. Perhaps the story will appeal to those who know and understand Irish history and folklore, but it's a bit of a deep dive for everyone else.
½ June 3, 2017
Stunning. The animation is very 2 dimensional and flat and I love it. The story is awesome but I think this film should be rated pg for many kids I show it to got scared really easily
April 16, 2017
I didn't know such a movie could exist. So incredibly nostalgic- kept me wanting to watch it over again.
April 4, 2017
Cinematic artwork. B+
March 17, 2017
Wonderfully artistic little animation - perfect for St Patricks Day. The fairy/little girl is called Ashling/Aisling.......
February 18, 2017
Charming, sophisticated and beautiful. Utterly magical and completely engrossing.
February 5, 2017
the movie is really good! it is good for all, and does not have cheese sounds or visuals. it has a vary good story line too!!

February 5, 2017
An excellent movie. The plot kept me interested through out the whole movie. What really got me intrigued was the animation. I have never seen animation where it looks like as though it was hand drawn. Everything looked like a drawing. The whole characterization was fantastic. You really feel the emotions that they try to portray. Overall it was an excellent movie.
½ December 7, 2016
When an animated movie tells you something about history, in a brilliantly beautiful way...
½ July 1, 2016
Absolutely amazing. The product of aesthetically appealing animation, an excellent story, & dense themes.
½ June 12, 2016
Very beautiful, nice story
May 14, 2016
A fantastical tale regarding the creation of an actual document from history. The patterns and colors come alive in an eye-catching way and the characters are straight-forward yet charming. The wonderful usage of Celtic music wraps this up as a brief, fun segue into what is "Irish".
May 1, 2016
A refreshingly new animation style for me, as the story blends Celtic and Irish mythology and history together in a great adventure. Also the element of the faith resounds with me personally.
March 26, 2016
'Secret of Kells' is a beautiful amalgamation of Irish myth and 2D animation.
½ February 29, 2016
There is so much to like here but the narrative feels a little undeveloped and the last fifteen minutes feels rushed and unsatisfying... It's definitely worth a watch though if only for the stunning animation.
½ February 28, 2016
The animation is gorgeous and unique. The characters are interesting. The story though didn't get to me as much as I thought it would and the pace was a bit slow by times. Overall though, I was amazed by the quality of the artwork/images in this movie.
February 24, 2016
I found this a little boring. I wasn't sure exactly what was at stake in the story, and while I deeply appreciate the film's technical achievements, loading so much expectation onto the big "reveal" at the end was bound to disappoint.
February 12, 2016
It's as cute as Diego, my boyfriend!
February 9, 2016
A true masterpiece, magnificent and not meant to be just seen but to behold. Every child should see this beautiful movie and have it to cherish and pass on to his children. I know I will.