The Assassin Reviews

• Dec 23, 2020

It looked good, but that was probably all there was to it, and all that we needed.

• Sep 28, 2020

The Assassin suffers because of a disconnect - potential viewers see the poster or read a summary, their mind immediately jumps to "action martial arts movie", and they walk into the theatre with those very particular expectations in mind, only to find that the pacing has the urgency of a three-toed sloth. What the film does have instead is great set design, vivid color, solid sound editing, mature performances, and good direction. The action scenes, while intermittent and usually short, are well-composed. A great wuxia film that bucks the trend of martial arts films of the past 20 years, particularly in this subgenre, which have seen increasingly greater investment and public interest, but whose production teams only seem to funnel that money into greater technical competency, leaving narrative quality and scriptwriting to wither on the vine and practically ensuring that the film in question will fall out of favor once the effects lose their luster. The Assassin, however, has a shot at a much more tenacious degree of influence. (4/5)

• Jun 13, 2020

The Assassin may not be for everyone due to the slow pacing and limited action. But as a story telling movie, The Assassin achieved the narrative in a positive way. I love the performances, dialogue and cinematography. I felt that the movie should work on more action and average pacing. But the movie did ok. Overall, The Assassin is a good movie made from China.

• May 25, 2020

The backdrop is the only character in this Movie worth knowing.

The backdrop is the only character in this Movie worth knowing.

• May 17, 2020

As everyone else has noted, visually stunning and beautiful to look at it, but glacially paced and the story leaves a lot to be desired. You’re constantly left waiting for a big moment or reveal, but there are very few pay offs. High art at its most inaccessible, commendable filmmaking but just not my cup of tea.

• May 01, 2020

Merkeze karşı en büyük muhalefeti yürüten Weibo Hanedanlığı'nda generalin 10 yaşındaki kızı Yinniang, bir rahibe tarafından kaçırılır. Dövüş sanatlarında ustalaşan Yinniang, zalim ve yozlaşmış bürokratları öldürmek üzere eğitilir, eşsiz bir suikastçıya dönüşür. Bunu okuyunca insan umutlanıyor ama film öyle ağır ki filmden geriye şahane görsellik, uzun ve tek planlar, doğa sesleri kalıyor. Takip etmesi gerçekten zor.

• Feb 05, 2020

Really, really slow. Story not compelling. I usually really like this genre, but this one did not do it for me.

• Feb 04, 2020

Hen hao kan. A great movie, hard to follow sometimes but worth the effort.

Hen hao kan. A great movie, hard to follow sometimes but worth the effort.

• Dec 30, 2019

Beautiful and almost silent.

Beautiful and almost silent.

• Dec 07, 2019

I guess it's like if a Terrance Malik made a wuxia. But where he relies more on score, this uses colors, imagery, and sparse scenic sounds to create the mood. Took a few views, but man, if you can settle (way down) to it's speed and let it wash it over you, it's a pretty incredible experience (that goes real well with whiskey). Also, it's the only film i'd ever recommend reading what happens plot-wise beforehand, as it can get pretty confusing with character motivation and how everyone relates to each other. It's all about the mood, though. Buy it give it multiple watches. Very worth the time and money.