The Big Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Wedding Reviews

March 12, 2018
For a cast like this it does seem a total disaster how it turn out.
August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, this week we were invited to The Big Wedding. It looks like someone got cake on their face.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, it was a Big something. Wedding is not the noun I would use. But I ll save my thoughts for later. Let s recap first.

GREG: Our story begins with Don (Robert De Niro) and Elle (Diane Keaton) Griffin who have been divorced for 10 years. Elle walks in on Don and Bebe (Susan Sarandon) who are fooling around and creates an awkward situation. Elle is visiting because her and Dons son Alejandro (Ben Barnes) is getting married. Alejandro is Don and Elles adoptive son from Columbia. The problem is, Alejandros biological mother Madonna (Patricia Rae) is coming to the wedding and shes a devout Catholic and believes divorce is a sin. So, Don and Elle have to pretend that they are married in an attempt to fool non-English-speaking Madonna.

SCOTT: There are additional attempts to inject awkwardness into the festivities, as when Don and Elle s other son, a 30-year-old virgin named Jared (Topher Grace), meets his beautiful and horny Columbian step-sister-to-be (Ana Ayora). Don and Elle s daughter Lyla (Katherine Heigl), arrives in sadness after having recently separated from her husband. She s so upset that she vomits all over Don. To cap it all off, we have an alcoholic priest (Robin Williams) who doesn t really act like a priest but who s there to counsel everyone.

GREG: And we re off... oh and not to mention that the in-laws are bigots and can t stand the thought of beige grandchildren. This is a very convoluted story which is worthy of a Shakespearean comedy. However, the writing is not in the hands of the immortal bard, but rather Justin Zackham, who approaches the script with all the delicacy of a sledgehammer. We ve seen all of these tropes in prime-time sitcoms. But here, the writers throw political correctness to the wind. For example, Nuria (the Columbian sister) decides that she wants to go swimming so she strips down to her birthday suit in front of several onlookers. We re led to believe that she is naive in the ways of the modern world and prone to throwing herself on men. Later, she surreptitiously gives Jared a hand job under the table at dinner. But she s corrected by Jared s mother who (in a single off-screen bathroom conversation) convinces her that women should be respected and turns the girl into an instant feminist.

SCOTT: Greg, I knew we were in trouble from the opening scene, when we re witness to one veteran actor, who is nearly 70 years-old, interrupting two other 70-year-old actors about to perform a sex act in the kitchen. One buckles to the floor, hiding his erection, while the other two toss out jokes about body parts and intercourse. I guess we re supposed to find this funny, but I was genuinely embarrassed for the actors involved, all of whom -- until now -- have had worthy careers. This disastrous opening scene told me that the writing in this movie was going to be so weak that any laughs were designed to come from contrived situations, sophomoric behavior, and shock value. Apparently, none of the characters in this movie have anything but sex on their minds, and they also appear to be unable to censor any tasteless thoughts that pop into their heads.

GREG: Everyone in the story treats the mother (Madonna) like an idiot. She simply could not speak English. But they talk loudly and gesticulate in front of her. The main players were trying to hide Don s relationship with Bebe by standing in front of a naked portrait of her. Or by rushing to remove pictures of her. And (potential spoiler) Don has sex with Elle and proudly proclaims it was the most pipe I ve laid in 20 years. Which begs the question, what has he been doing with Bebe for the last 20 years? The characters are embarrassing to themselves and to the stereotypes they portray.

SCOTT: The choices these characters make defy explanation, other than to serve as a set-up for the next sex joke. Don has to pretend to be married to Elle, and so of course that means Elle has to sleep in the same bed with Don instead of the obvious alternatives like, say, sleeping on the floor or in the chair. Their tryst is obviously preventable but that would thwart the movie s apparent goal of showing an endless parade of unrealistic, sexually clumsy situations. We re also supposed to laugh when Madonna stares incredulously at one of Don s sculptures of a woman pleasuring herself. Did I mention that these are 70-year-old actors, not middle-school kids?

GREG: By the end of the story everyone s problem was resolved one way or the other - just as you knew it must. The answers to the questions are telescoped from the very beginning. This is not usually a problem. In these types of stories it s not whether or not people get what they want, but HOW they get what they want. And in the case of The Big Wedding, everyone gets what they want in the most trivial and obvious ways possible. The Big Wedding is a bore and simplistically structured. The laughs are a result of embarrassing situations, not clever dialogue. I give The Big Wedding 0 Reels out of 5 and 0 Heroes out of 5. And I think it deserves a nomination for the Reel Hero Hall of Shame for the worst movie we ve seen so far this year. Movie & Heroes:

SCOTT: Greg, it was a mess, and these actors should fire their agents and do some soul-searching for having participated in this project. Yes, half of the actors involved are in professional decline, perhaps making them willing to take just about any acting job that comes their way. Being in this film only accelerates their decline. Robert De Niro, you re better than this -- please stay home and play golf rather than be part of a film that has absolutely no merit to it at all. There was no hero story here. Just an ensemble cast that is largely interchangeable. One juvenile and buffoonish character could easily have substituted for any of the other juvenile and buffoonish characters. People in the real world don t act like any of these people. Heck, people in most bad movies don t act like them, either. So it s a Big Mess. For that reason, I also nominate The Big Mess for the Hall of Shame, giving it as many Reels as there are good characters -- zero -- and as many Heroes as there are heroes in the movie -- again zero. Movie & Heroes:
June 15, 2017
in the top 5 of worst movies I've ever seen. luckily I only remember hating it and remember nothing of the feeble plot.
May 16, 2017
Cliche yes. The general ridiculousness and predictability of the plot made it so. But it was a nice afternoon non-committal movie and it was nice to see those actors doing something light and it felt like a short sorta funny play.
May 10, 2017
great cast, but, the story could have been a lot better
January 26, 2017
Comedia romántica. Don and Ellie Griffin era una pareja que permanecieron juntos por 20 años. Tuvieron tres hijos Lyla, Jared y adoptaron al tercero Alejandro, hijo de una señora colombiana. En el presente las cosas han cambiado. Se divorciaron y Don ahora está en pareja con Bebe. Lyla está embarazada y su pareja la ha dejado, Jared sigue siendo virgen a los casi treinta años y no ha tenido novia; Alejandro, a punto de casarse y con la inminente visita de su madre natural desde Colombia tratará de probar que su disfuncional familia funciona perfectamente. Con un elenco de primera: Robert De Niro, Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton, Katherine Heigl, Topher Grace y Robin Williams
½ November 6, 2016
With Robert DeNiro, Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton and many other stars. It's a situation comedy centered on the preparations for a wealthy wedding. De Niro is Don,a bit of an amoral douche bag sculptor who is given to making erotic sculpture to commision, his ex wife, Ellie (Diane Keaton) arrives a few days earlier to the household. Don shares the house with his long time partner Bebe. The plot involves Bebe having to leave the house for a bit, so Ellie and Don are once again brought together - and they waste no time in cheating on Bebe. A number of other plot lines includes an unlikely 29 year male virgin chasing after his sort-of sister in law. It soon becomes a tangle of crude relationships past and present. All very silly and kind of unbecoming to see the ensemble of respected actors in such a banal film.
½ October 25, 2016
A mishmash of matrimony, The big weddings ridiculous premise, redundant script and dreadful direction requires a few extra glass of bubbly to endure as it totters its way on super high heels straight for the proverbial divorce lawyers office.

The adventurously dippy Ellie (Diane Keaton) and amorous sculptor Don (Robert De Niro) have been happily divorced for many years, whilst the fun-loving and carefree Bebe is Ellie's best friend and Don's girlfriend.

The neurotically alternative yet highly sucressful Griffin family is rounded out with Don and Ellie's three grown children. The youngest of which, Alejandro (Ben Barnes) was adopted from Columbia, and is now in the process of arranging his wedding to the exuberant Missy (Amana Seyfried) which provides the conduit to the films farcical complications.

By inviting his devout catholic birth-mother Madonna (Patricia Rae) to the wedding, Don and Ellie must pretend to once again to be married to gain her approval, and although they agree can the whole family lie convincingly enough?

As things get complicated for the impending groom, his lawyer sister Lyla (Katherine Heigl) is obsessively preoccupied by her non-responsive via text ex-boyfriend, and doctor brother Jared (Topher Grace) doesn't understand how he can't find true love as a 30 year-old virgin.

The following ridiculous shenanigans need little explanation, from misunderstandings to mildly rasist comments, the film bears such little resemblance to the real world it proves hard to relate. The "norm" family these days has its own unique brand of quirk, but this is a major leap.

A genuine fan of Susan Sarandon, her vapid insufferable and overwrought character left little to be desired while Diane Keaton is butters her bread with the usual all of the above but seems more painful than usual. I didn't think Robert De Niro could slip any further than Meet the Fockers, however apparently I was wrong, and while Robin Williams always adds a little something to the mix there is something awfully familiar about his catholic priest role, actually there is something familiar about the whole thing.

As the four aforementioned are all Oscar winners, it is easy to lay blame of this film onto the right shoulders, their agents. What on earth were they think? Were they bribed by the director? Seriously!

The Verdict: Suffering from a complete lack of consistency, empathy and taste, The big wedding is a big must miss. The unmitigated disaster of ill-timed zingers produces little more than mild chuckles complimented by an unholy feeling of shame for the fallen stars.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/05/2013
½ August 2, 2016
Terrible terrible movie. Painful to think that people don't have the ability to stand up for what they believe in.
July 28, 2016
I didn't like that didn't stand up to the racist family.
July 20, 2016
An interesting premise but it fell through. The cast was well picked out though.
June 23, 2016
Often unrealistic and filled with countless cliches, but the cast is GREAT and they certainly give it a few real laughs. Not the best comedy, but it has a few scenes that make it worth a watch.
May 28, 2016
the story was fairly fun and even a little unpredictable. fluff is the first word that came to mind. looks like it was a lot of fun to be IN this movie and even for that, it was entertaining to watch this star-studded cast.
½ May 21, 2016
This movie [while being totally and completely irreverent] was hilarious; all while being thought-provoking and serious at the same time. I laughed and cried my way throughout this whole movie.
March 10, 2016
Such a funny movie... Liked it a lot
February 9, 2016
Good light hearted comedy, defo 1 4 the lady's, men wouldn't b tat bothered!!
½ January 23, 2016
A terrible waste of a talented cast.
January 12, 2016
Where was my rating ? did it yesterday already ! Only DE NIRO was funny enough ...7 well known actors is not enough to make a great movie
Oeps , seen again yesterday . Uhm just ok !
December 31, 2015
contrived and a poor plot, but somehow watchable if you can get over the first 20min but again gets silly by the end. at a strench I give 2 out of 5
December 16, 2015
This movie has a great mix of actors, so I expected to like it more than I did.

It didn't start out bad. There was something interesting going on here. For me it was the relationships and dynamics between Keaton's, DeNiro's, and Sarandon's characters.

As it got closer to the end, there was just a bit too much negative tension and piles of uncomfortable drama for my preference. I'm expecting a happy wedding finale and it's just not getting there.

With a title called The Big Wedding, I was hoping for something more light-hearted, something closer to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This should've been called The Big Drama Wedding.