The Big Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Wedding Reviews

May 16, 2017
Cliche yes. The general ridiculousness and predictability of the plot made it so. But it was a nice afternoon non-committal movie and it was nice to see those actors doing something light and it felt like a short sorta funny play.
May 10, 2017
great cast, but, the story could have been a lot better
January 26, 2017
Comedia romántica. Don and Ellie Griffin era una pareja que permanecieron juntos por 20 años. Tuvieron tres hijos Lyla, Jared y adoptaron al tercero Alejandro, hijo de una señora colombiana. En el presente las cosas han cambiado. Se divorciaron y Don ahora está en pareja con Bebe. Lyla está embarazada y su pareja la ha dejado, Jared sigue siendo virgen a los casi treinta años y no ha tenido novia; Alejandro, a punto de casarse y con la inminente visita de su madre natural desde Colombia tratará de probar que su disfuncional familia funciona perfectamente. Con un elenco de primera: Robert De Niro, Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton, Katherine Heigl, Topher Grace y Robin Williams
½ November 6, 2016
With Robert DeNiro, Susan Sarandon, Diane Keaton and many other stars. It's a situation comedy centered on the preparations for a wealthy wedding. De Niro is Don,a bit of an amoral douche bag sculptor who is given to making erotic sculpture to commision, his ex wife, Ellie (Diane Keaton) arrives a few days earlier to the household. Don shares the house with his long time partner Bebe. The plot involves Bebe having to leave the house for a bit, so Ellie and Don are once again brought together - and they waste no time in cheating on Bebe. A number of other plot lines includes an unlikely 29 year male virgin chasing after his sort-of sister in law. It soon becomes a tangle of crude relationships past and present. All very silly and kind of unbecoming to see the ensemble of respected actors in such a banal film.
½ October 25, 2016
A mishmash of matrimony, The big weddings ridiculous premise, redundant script and dreadful direction requires a few extra glass of bubbly to endure as it totters its way on super high heels straight for the proverbial divorce lawyers office.

The adventurously dippy Ellie (Diane Keaton) and amorous sculptor Don (Robert De Niro) have been happily divorced for many years, whilst the fun-loving and carefree Bebe is Ellie's best friend and Don's girlfriend.

The neurotically alternative yet highly sucressful Griffin family is rounded out with Don and Ellie's three grown children. The youngest of which, Alejandro (Ben Barnes) was adopted from Columbia, and is now in the process of arranging his wedding to the exuberant Missy (Amana Seyfried) which provides the conduit to the films farcical complications.

By inviting his devout catholic birth-mother Madonna (Patricia Rae) to the wedding, Don and Ellie must pretend to once again to be married to gain her approval, and although they agree can the whole family lie convincingly enough?

As things get complicated for the impending groom, his lawyer sister Lyla (Katherine Heigl) is obsessively preoccupied by her non-responsive via text ex-boyfriend, and doctor brother Jared (Topher Grace) doesn't understand how he can't find true love as a 30 year-old virgin.

The following ridiculous shenanigans need little explanation, from misunderstandings to mildly rasist comments, the film bears such little resemblance to the real world it proves hard to relate. The "norm" family these days has its own unique brand of quirk, but this is a major leap.

A genuine fan of Susan Sarandon, her vapid insufferable and overwrought character left little to be desired while Diane Keaton is butters her bread with the usual all of the above but seems more painful than usual. I didn't think Robert De Niro could slip any further than Meet the Fockers, however apparently I was wrong, and while Robin Williams always adds a little something to the mix there is something awfully familiar about his catholic priest role, actually there is something familiar about the whole thing.

As the four aforementioned are all Oscar winners, it is easy to lay blame of this film onto the right shoulders, their agents. What on earth were they think? Were they bribed by the director? Seriously!

The Verdict: Suffering from a complete lack of consistency, empathy and taste, The big wedding is a big must miss. The unmitigated disaster of ill-timed zingers produces little more than mild chuckles complimented by an unholy feeling of shame for the fallen stars.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 03/05/2013
½ August 2, 2016
Terrible terrible movie. Painful to think that people don't have the ability to stand up for what they believe in.
July 28, 2016
I didn't like that didn't stand up to the racist family.
July 20, 2016
An interesting premise but it fell through. The cast was well picked out though.
June 23, 2016
Often unrealistic and filled with countless cliches, but the cast is GREAT and they certainly give it a few real laughs. Not the best comedy, but it has a few scenes that make it worth a watch.
May 28, 2016
the story was fairly fun and even a little unpredictable. fluff is the first word that came to mind. looks like it was a lot of fun to be IN this movie and even for that, it was entertaining to watch this star-studded cast.
½ May 21, 2016
This movie [while being totally and completely irreverent] was hilarious; all while being thought-provoking and serious at the same time. I laughed and cried my way throughout this whole movie.
March 10, 2016
Such a funny movie... Liked it a lot
February 9, 2016
Good light hearted comedy, defo 1 4 the lady's, men wouldn't b tat bothered!!
½ January 23, 2016
A terrible waste of a talented cast.
January 12, 2016
Where was my rating ? did it yesterday already ! Only DE NIRO was funny enough ...7 well known actors is not enough to make a great movie
Oeps , seen again yesterday . Uhm just ok !
December 31, 2015
contrived and a poor plot, but somehow watchable if you can get over the first 20min but again gets silly by the end. at a strench I give 2 out of 5
December 16, 2015
This movie has a great mix of actors, so I expected to like it more than I did.

It didn't start out bad. There was something interesting going on here. For me it was the relationships and dynamics between Keaton's, DeNiro's, and Sarandon's characters.

As it got closer to the end, there was just a bit too much negative tension and piles of uncomfortable drama for my preference. I'm expecting a happy wedding finale and it's just not getting there.

With a title called The Big Wedding, I was hoping for something more light-hearted, something closer to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This should've been called The Big Drama Wedding.
December 6, 2015
The Big Wedding walks an unflinchingly contrived tightrope, but thanks to the assured efforts of an effortlessly enchanting all-star cast and loads of charming, family-friendly fun buttressed by visually stunning scenery, it pulls off its more problematic areas with irrepressible energy and quick-witted, vibrant direction.
November 4, 2015
This movie truly shows that no matter how many terrific actors you choose to put in a movie like this, they still can't save a useless script.
The Big Wedding just wasn't funny, it could have been, but it wasn't. I think it was trying too hard to make people laugh and when you try too hard to make something happen, it rarely ends up being a good thing. The positive things often happen by chance, I hope the director and the screenwriter can learn something from this in the near future.
½ October 12, 2015
This was better than I had imagined it would be, but I think there were too many stories going on at once.