The Bourne Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Legacy Reviews

November 2, 2017
The story had no point. Even worse, it made no sense with the greater arc of the franchise. At one point, they say Bourne had the best stats, and he didn't use the meds. So, why would they medicate everyone else? Just do whatever you did to Bourne that worked so well. Pretty much all of the major players from the original stories either do not return in this film or return in such diminished/ nonsensical ways that they shouldn't have returned. The plot revolves around some guy who at the beginning is at some training course for no real reason. Nobody is forcing him to complete it. He could just leave. Oh, except for this tracker in his hip that he can cover with a metal plate in the front (the back doesn't matter at all! ) and turn off any old time he wants. So, he must be in this for the drugs. Wait, no, he can stop taking one of them and nothing happens. Then, there are the guys who want to kill him for no real reason. They have a bunch of people who will do whatever they say and act like super-spies. However, somebody might know something about the super-spy program. Best to kill them all and start over with new untrained super-spies than to get rid of the paperwork and give the super-spies new fake identities. I gave it two stars because despite the horrendous writing, all of the actors except the main character did a pretty good job of not being terrible. No wonder the director from the previous films and Matt Damon both decided not to participate. This movie was pretty bad.
October 20, 2017
The thinking person's Bourne film that truly takes us deep into the mindset of the agency that set this in motion. We get to meet the people who do the science and get credible evidence of the genetic manipulation and how it works. The chosen 'agents' manipulated by the leaders are true patriots functioning in the belief they are serving the USA and their handlers are sociopathic megalomaniacs who see their capable followers (both scientists and soldiers) as tools so they can eliminate them without remorse.
This is a rather brilliant screenplay and Renner is perfect as the guy who needed points added to his IQ in order to qualify for the army. The pairing with Rachel Weisz sparks and glows - particularly in the scene in the car fleeing the burning house. - "You want out get out. What are you going to do? You've got a plan your a Doctor of course you do"
The unanswered questions about the fate of the Joan Allen character are addressed and once again the guys with the power are going to annihilate her along with Jason, Arron, and Dr. Shearing. It's a shame we won't get to see more of Arron & Marta due to the inability of Damon fans to see the merit in the very different Renner and their discomfort with the science and intelligence defined by the dialogue in this excellent screenplay. LEGACY was just too smart for it's own good - thinking Bourne fans are in the minority and those of us who appreciate the detail of the science and the depth of character definition will suffer the consequences of those who simply want more chase & explosion scenes.
October 7, 2017
Has a tough time at the start setting itself up, and it has some pretty dumb plot elements throughout (for some reason the Gilroys go into intense detail about the "Bourne lore" of chemical enhancements and the movie grinds to a halt every time) but once the stakes have been established it kicks into gear with some dope action scenes, so much so that I started to wonder why everyone hated this movie. And then the unbelievably wrong-headed Manila chase sequence happened - that if I wanted to break down all the bad aspects of I wouldn't even know where to start - and I got really depressed. This is the same guy who made Michael Clayton?
October 2, 2017
This movie felt like the beginning of a possible trilogy of Bourne films starring Jeremy Renner, but due to the mediocre numbers compared to the Matt Damon led Bourne movies, this was a standalone as they went back to Damon for Jason Bourne a few years later. The action sequences are great to watch and they are not just nonsensical cuts making you wonder what is actually happening. The bureaucracy within this film does drag the story down, especially as it reaches its finish. The story is similar to the Damon films, a rogue agent given superhuman abilities through drugs and training by a U.S. program tries to piece together himself while being savagely hunted by those in charge. Happening during the events of the Bourne Ultimatum, Legacy takes the viewer on a ride through Alaska, Maryland and even Manila. Taking a while to really get going, it ends without the main character getting into a physical altercation with his foe. Watching a nearly 30 minute chase scene end with one guy dying after crashing headfirst into a stone pillar while our heroes wipeout on their own bike. The ending is very anti-climactic for a standalone film, making me truly believe that they wanted more films with Renner.
August 30, 2017
Watched TV version but still pretty good.
August 7, 2017
If the original borne series did not exist I think rating would be much higher. The bar was set really high by Matt Damon. On its own its really a good movie with lots of action and good story line. I like the casting all except Ed Norton who overplayed the role and does not fit the part .
½ July 30, 2017
This is one of the most pitiful movies in the Bourne series. The story is unclear for over half the movie. Occasionally they talked about Jason Bourne and Blackbriar.
July 29, 2017
It's interesting how Jeremy Renner played in this movie he has played good in the Avengers movies just not this movie and the stupid thing is when I tried to watch it it was not in English no subtitles
July 17, 2017
I thought that it was a good ride.
July 10, 2017
jesus borne it's jason christ!
½ June 26, 2017
Jeremy Renner is good as Aaron Cross, but it is still not the same without Matt Damon. The action scenes are good but do not add anything new and this story is not as compelling as the Jason Bourne story.

5.4/10
½ June 25, 2017
This movie going to be awesome
June 18, 2017
"The Bourne Legacy" may not be the thriller the first three films managed to be. But, it's well written and very entertaining. Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz work well together on screen !
June 11, 2017
Interesting spinoff in the Bourne Universe.
½ June 8, 2017
not a patch on matt damons first three films has potential to go places with a better follow up perhaps with some good core ideas to further the storylines. this has moments that are either real good or very plodding and boring. Jeremy Rimmer good Rachel weiz annoying considering she is Mrs bond!
½ May 30, 2017
In a word: Meh. Renner doesn't do much more than look serious and blast his way through yet more government henchmen is this uninspired spin-off.
May 11, 2017
Despite what many critics say about this movie, it was really great. Just because it wasn't Matt Damon, doesn't mean this isn't a really good movie. The action is fabulous, the movie intense, and the concept first rate, give it a chance, you love it.
½ April 6, 2017
Benefits from Jeremy Renner's incredible talent
April 2, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Many regard this as a real blip on the franchise's radar, but frankly for me 'The Bourne Legacy' is not only as gripping and exciting as its three excellent predecessors; it's actually up there with the best. Yes the more personal and character-driven nature of this installment actually evokes the increased feeling of intimacy you got from 'Identity,' as the pacing's breathing-room and the brand-new character arc (as well as Jeremy Renner's magnetic performance) really capture and engage the human side far more than most make out. This means the tense moments (of which there are many) feel just as significant and nail-biting as ever, and the great action - and explosive finale - are really brought home.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The side of the plot that this character stuff surrounds is certainly less developed and interesting than Paul Greengrass' more sophisticated efforts.
VERDICT: Driven by character and a great performance from Jeremy Renner, 'The Bourne Legacy' is more than a worthy entry to this brilliant series. It's a bloody great film of its own.
March 31, 2017
Rachel Weisz and Jeremy Renner are so wonderful together. Please make another movie with these two! Love this movie. Hate all of Matt Damon's Bourne films. He sucks in them.