The Bourne Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Legacy Reviews

October 17, 2016
Jeremy Renner has shot to stardom by inking himself to an array of successful franchises from, Mission Impossible to the Avengers. The Bourne series is yet another feather in his fluttering hat. Renner plays an operative who is supposed to be terminated along with the others as a result of the whole Jason Bourne fiasco. Renner however doesn't abide and with the help of Rachel Weisz, a doctor, he sets off on a personal mission to obtain the drugs to prevent a critical withdrawal.

With a heavyweight cast, which includes Ed Norton, Scott Glenn and Stacy Keach, The Bourne Legacy is equipped with all the tools it needs to add to the high octane Bourne Legacy, no pun intended. The story unwinds parallel to the Jason Bourne saga, which is clever and enjoyable for hardcore Bourne fans. There are the expected jaw dropping stunts, fights and chases to satisfy the action junkie in all of us. The story is also more of a stand-alone rather than an open-ended one meaning it's nicely tied up in a ribbon for viewers without the expectation for a sequel. Renner plays his role well but somewhat pales in comparison to Matt Damon and while director, Tony Gilroy certainly does justice to the franchise, The Bourne Legacy is more of a deserving sidekick to the original trilogy.

Action and Bourne fans alike should enjoy Legacy provided they don't go in expecting Jason Bourne.
September 17, 2016
"I was kind of hoping we were lost"
September 10, 2016
A very interesting movie. It made me contemplate the next sequel and what could happen. This included Jason Bourne without having to pay Matt Damon to be in it, way to think outside the box.
½ September 6, 2016
Just ok. Milking the franchise isn't helping and may gaping the lead of the previous movies makes it even worse
½ September 5, 2016
The bourne Legacy is a thrilling spin-off that allows the francise to breathe while at the same time making the story more interesting.
The stellar cast of this movie does its job properly and the result does not fall below the previous trilogy.
½ September 5, 2016
September 2, 2016
Now I actually really enjoyed this critically slammed movie. I'm not sure why the reviews have been quite so vicious as I thought Jeremy Renner made a decent lead, the story was exciting and the direction sound. I held off watching The Bourne Legacy for a long time as the history of these kind of parallel spin-offs is patchy to say the least. This movie has very little to do with the first three movies, and Matt Damon only appears in a photograph. Reiner plays Aaron Cross, an agent recruited to the same project as Jason Bourne. He is caught-up in the chaos caused as the CIA tries to cover up the dirty tricks it has been involved in and soon finds himself fighting for his life. The female lead is played by Rachael Weisz, here taking on the somewhat stereotypical brainy scientist role. It's true that compared to the preceding movies, the plot here is a more standard form, however, this is an exciting popcorn movie that may not really advance the established narrative of the films that went before it, but neither does it do any real harm.
½ August 31, 2016
A spinoff set during the same time as the third Bourne film, It's a simple plot but very over complicated and a few plot holes make it less enjoyable, Jeremy Renner plays a good part and I'd be more than happy to see him play this role again with the right script but the problem is the action, It was ok but for the running time there was not nearly enough and the film tends to drag, Ok the ending bike chase was pretty good but I'm afraid it can't quite live up to the Matt Damon Bourne movies.
August 27, 2016
Great movie! LOVED IT!
½ August 20, 2016
Bourne Legacy gives us a lot of good for being sans Matt Damon. Jeremy Renner holds his own very well and proves he can be a leading man in a blockbuster.

Starting off prior to the events of The Bourne Ultimatum, Legacy finds Jeremy Renner's character in the Alaskan wilderness, being hunted by a pack of wolves. Then, all of a sudden, he discovers that a drone is trying to blow him up.

Eventually, the film moves past Ultimatum and becomes about another secret government agency. They're feeling threatened by Jason Bourne's uprising and trying to kill their own assets before they have the chance to retaliate.

The biggest issue with this film is that it tries to be cryptic. It's capable of telling us what's going on, but chooses not to--which can be frustrating when watching a movie. You can tell that these events are opening the door to something cool in the series, but it just doesn't let us figure out what that is until later.

Often times, we find ourselves scratching our heads, hoping that it all ties together in the end. And it does for the most part. But even when things click, it means nothing of value. You just accept it and hope it will make sense in the next film.

We're also never entirely sure how it all connects to the Bourne series--other than the same people are involved. But the glimmering hope that it's going to open the series up to something grander--the bigger picture--makes every piece of this film intriguing.

Regardless of the mysterious plot, it's really entertaining. The action and chase sequences are high-quality, and there are some really intense scenes. It's all fun in the end.

Twizard Rating: 85
August 19, 2016
Not as good as Matt Damon's trilogy but still a decent action film. Some might find it a bit boring. Nevertheless Jeremy Renner's job is terrific. He carries the movie by himself all along.
½ August 16, 2016
Tony Gilroy's Bourne Legacy is a mess on terms where you see Aaron(Jeremy Renner) in the mountains, next he's in a building fighting off the CIA, I thought Gilroy could have done more with the script rather than throwing things right in.
August 8, 2016
Renner is solid as a fill in hero of the franchise. Not really so much about Bourne but about the government cover up of the programs they are in.
½ August 8, 2016
Luego de la salida del director Paul Greengrass y de su protagonista Matt Damon, la serie Bourne enfrenta en serios problemas. Tony Gilroy asume la dirección con mucha clase (pero no es Greengrass) y asume una propuesta de acción e intriga similar a la serie del agente Jack Ryan. Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker", "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", "The Avengers"), reemplaza a Matt Damon como el agente Aaron Cross y sale bien librado de semejante encargo (pero no es Damon, quien nació para el papel). "The Bourne Legacy" no llega a la grandiosidad de los capítulos anteriores de la saga, pero es una cinta de acción y espionaje que mantiene el interés de principio a fin, pese a las pérdidas de actor y director.
½ August 6, 2016
The Bourne Legacy has got Jeremy Renner as Aaron and can be a masterwork, It has the potential to be good in popularity and have better punchlines, But Unfortanly a few action scenes work but I had the verge to fall asleep because it felt so long, Even The Avengers Felt Shorter than this and that one was longer, I like Renner as an actor but the problem with this film is that the climax sucked and the characters, I really didn't want this to be a rant, Thank god it isn't because it's a bourne film.

Score: 4.5/10
August 5, 2016
77% - It might not be a typical Bourne film, but it is certainly a really good action film with great characters, strong story, and well-choreographed action sequences.
August 4, 2016
Fast paced, action packed, does what every great action movie should do, with a good performance by Jeremy Renner
August 3, 2016
As a Bourne movie it falls short, as a movie, truly a work of art. Jeremy Renner owns this role and the action is truly phenomenal
August 3, 2016
I was expecting this to be wank but it wasn't that bad. A great motorbike chase in Manilla been the main highlight. It does tie in with the first three films and gives more insight into the black ops background story. A pointless but enjoyable spin off.
August 2, 2016
This movie was not the same without Matt Damon!