The Cell Reviews

• Mar 21, 2020

It's a masterpiece. I first saw this when I was 14 years old. I was sold then and still am. Singh is an amazing story teller.

• Mar 03, 2020

Artistically fantastic. Script is little silly in some parts but loved it.

Artistically fantastic. Script is little silly in some parts but loved it.

• Oct 30, 2019

I was recently reminded that this film happened. It's definitely got some problems, but I remembered it fondly and after going back and rewatching it as an adult and almost 20 years later, I've got to say, I enjoyed the ever-loving guts out of The Cell. It's hard to give it a better score overall than what I finally landed on. I probably enjoyed it much more than three and a half stars suggests, but it's just a bit uneven and it has some elements that aged poorly, some cringe. It's an imperfect film that I wouldn't actually change much of. I like it's imperfection, I like it's eye-rolling moments. It's got a little bit of the same problem as a lot of anime horror, where it's almost too pretty and that visual pleasure interferes with cultivating any real sense of dread or danger. The performances are all excellent. I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Tarsem Singh is very good at making films I like looking at with my eyes. I love this film, and I am super aware that it's not for everyone, but even 20 years later I still vividly remember watching the trailer and the shot that convinced me to see the film, which was the full overhead rotation in the baptism scene. I was twelve and not allowed to watch rated R movies, and I was mostly ok with that and a good kid, but I really wanted to see this movie because of that one shot. I loved it then, and I probably love it more now.

• Oct 26, 2019

The two story lines in this movie were to quickly merged together in the editing, but the film did not have a bad pace, maybe they were worried about the runtime? So maybe there's a better cut of the movie out there, but still worth watching, I could careless about Lopez or Vaughn and I still liked it.

• Oct 15, 2019

The film is perverse and beautiful, full of stunning, awe-inspiring images that should calm you, yet they make you nervous and disturb your subconscious. To me it's like a perfect weave of opposites; a beautiful and paradoxical union of things which should not calmly coexist in the same space. Like the horse which in one moment is a representation of strength, full of life, and in the next moment it's an inanimate, twisted figure from an old painting. Or an apparition of pure evil embellished in a magnificent display, almost like a holy icon. The film excels in that sense and it triggers the most basic fear - the fear of the unknown - in the most artistic way.

• Oct 13, 2019

One of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen unquestionably. The lavish set design and aesthetic are a treat to the eyes. The fight in the final act felt somewhat out of place compared to everything prior to it and the ending is slightly underwhelming. As a whole however I can't deny that the movie had me intrigued with its premise from start to finish. A sort of pre-Inception if you will, this was very good in my opinion regardless of the tomatometer consensus. Everyone does a good job in their roles here, especially D'Onofrio. Entrancing and interesting, The Cell is one of J-Lo's stronger efforts.

• Oct 11, 2019

Great sci-fi thriller. Mixed with horror this film create one unique villan with a great performance of Vicent d'onofrio, he is terrifying in this role. Jennifer Lopez also shine and evolve her character from a strong female to an almost superheroine.

• Sep 21, 2019

Visually great, but the weak plot ruins it.

Visually great, but the weak plot ruins it.

• Sep 07, 2019

The special effects were superb specially considering that this was 20 years ago way before everything was computarized...the imagery, the art, the cast, everything was impressive. The whole premise of the movie was fantastic. Great movie.

• Sep 04, 2019

The Cell is ruthlessly lacking in the screenplay department. The disturbing visuals and set design, on the other hand...not to mention a fantastic performance from Vincent D'Onofrio. It's not exactly a good movie but it does fulfil the MPAA's promise of containing "bizarre violence" that's sure to delight those into disturbing yet unique imagery.