The Conspirator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conspirator Reviews

½ October 28, 2017
Like many people in their retirement years, Robert Redford's biggest pastime is writing letters to the editor. Unfortunately, his letters are two hour films. The Conspirator could have been a lot more than Redford ranting about injustice, but, unfortunately, it isn't.

The story is told in a very heavy-handed sort of way, with no subtleties or grey areas. You never feel that this is an objective account of the trial of Mary Surratt. In addition, much of the movie is padding, making it fairly dull.

Also, if you know your Civil War history, as I do, you know how the movie is going to end, meaning that there is no intrigue, and a sense of inevitability about it all.

Decent performances though, especially from James McAvoy.
September 12, 2017
Never knew this, a real eye opener and a good movie, not over dramatised.
½ May 8, 2017
A true story. Quite well done. Understated but good
½ March 3, 2017
A solid filmmaking effort by Robert Redford, boldly daring to go where no one has gone before, and where most will steer clear from. Empathizing with Confederate-sympathizers is a no-no in Hollywood as they are typically treated as inhuman and dimensionless. But this treads a whole new body of water that nobody in Hollywood has dared to set their sights on. Leave it to the independent spirit of Robert Redford.

Superb photography by Newton Thomas Sigel. Avy Kaufman assembles a flawless cast
½ December 28, 2016
James McAvoy was great in this. I really enjoy movies that are rooted in historic events. I know that this doesn't play completely true to what happened, but it was an enjoyable movie nonetheless.
December 27, 2016
There's a stiffness that keeps the story from packing a punch. Still, it's handsomely mounted, and at its best moments has the patina of a Masterpiece Theater production.
½ December 14, 2016
An interesting but ok story.
½ December 12, 2016
Une biographie qui dénonce la haine et la vengeance politique du nord envers le sud qui à tuer des innocents.
May 27, 2016
A slow goer, but good history and acting. A new take on Abraham's assassination. Good performances, but poor cinematography and music makes it a little rough.
½ April 28, 2016
The Conspirator is a decent film. It is about Mary Surratt who is the lone female charged as a co-conspirator in the assassination trial of Abraham Lincoln. Robin Wright and James McAvoy give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Robert Redford did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and history.
March 14, 2016
Destined for American high school level history classrooms, this concerns the rushed trial the assassins of Abraham Lincoln, and asks if some Constitutional guarantees were tossed aside in order to achieve quick vengeance, as well as the execution of the first woman in U.S. history. It's a Robert Redford film and so reeks of quiet grace despite the pace being that of a dying-friend-in-the-hospital visit. The work of all onscreen is exemplary, particularly Robin Wright.
March 2, 2016
Interesting film the shows a goof part of American history not told before. Great cast and performances. It's a shame the movie moves slow and feels so stagey. Many history channel movies and miniseries feel more complete.
½ November 17, 2015
mmm Not good enough. I feel like PBS films are usually better than this.
November 5, 2015
Saw it this past Tuesday night. Great movie.
September 17, 2015
No respect for didactic liberal Robert Redford.
Clintus M.
½ August 14, 2015
The Conspirator is one of the best true story/historical films I've seen. Nothing needed to have been added or taken from this accurate accounting of events for dramatic purposes. Without exaggeration, this is a legal story like no other; this is much more fascinating than fiction. I thought I knew this story, but I really didn't know the facts at all-just the headlines involving Booth.

Those involved in this project did masterful jobs. Robert Redford crafts a revealing look at the rush to judgement. This tale of scapegoat justice is just as applicable in our time as in 1865. McAvoy and Wilkinson are spectacular, and Robin Wright displays a stoic sort of grace I haven't seen before. I can't imagine another actress capturing this woman's essence any better.
June 22, 2015
A very gripping account of, possibly in the history of America, the gravest case of injustice served during the country's bleakest days after the assassination of the beloved President Abraham Lincoln, who believed in the sacred rights of every citizen. What irony.
June 12, 2015
A slow burn, boosted mainly by strong performances from several actors, good ideas, and important history.
½ April 18, 2015
The Conspirator was purely for entertainment and writers took creative license. History buffs understand that Mary Surratt was really guilty and an even mor interesting story is that her lawyer, Frederick Aiken was quite the incompetent lawyer AND not a war hero (he was actually a double agent). Anyway, decent acting and believable. Amazing how much the actor who played Payne really looked like him!!