The Conspirator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Conspirator Reviews

½ December 28, 2016
James McAvoy was great in this. I really enjoy movies that are rooted in historic events. I know that this doesn't play completely true to what happened, but it was an enjoyable movie nonetheless.
December 27, 2016
There's a stiffness that keeps the story from packing a punch. Still, it's handsomely mounted, and at its best moments has the patina of a Masterpiece Theater production.
½ December 14, 2016
An interesting but ok story.
½ December 12, 2016
Une biographie qui dénonce la haine et la vengeance politique du nord envers le sud qui à tuer des innocents.
May 27, 2016
A slow goer, but good history and acting. A new take on Abraham's assassination. Good performances, but poor cinematography and music makes it a little rough.
½ April 28, 2016
The Conspirator is a decent film. It is about Mary Surratt who is the lone female charged as a co-conspirator in the assassination trial of Abraham Lincoln. Robin Wright and James McAvoy give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Robert Redford did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and history.
March 14, 2016
Destined for American high school level history classrooms, this concerns the rushed trial the assassins of Abraham Lincoln, and asks if some Constitutional guarantees were tossed aside in order to achieve quick vengeance, as well as the execution of the first woman in U.S. history. It's a Robert Redford film and so reeks of quiet grace despite the pace being that of a dying-friend-in-the-hospital visit. The work of all onscreen is exemplary, particularly Robin Wright.
March 2, 2016
Interesting film the shows a goof part of American history not told before. Great cast and performances. It's a shame the movie moves slow and feels so stagey. Many history channel movies and miniseries feel more complete.
½ November 17, 2015
mmm Not good enough. I feel like PBS films are usually better than this.
November 5, 2015
Saw it this past Tuesday night. Great movie.
September 17, 2015
No respect for didactic liberal Robert Redford.
Clintus M.
½ August 14, 2015
The Conspirator is one of the best true story/historical films I've seen. Nothing needed to have been added or taken from this accurate accounting of events for dramatic purposes. Without exaggeration, this is a legal story like no other; this is much more fascinating than fiction. I thought I knew this story, but I really didn't know the facts at all-just the headlines involving Booth.

Those involved in this project did masterful jobs. Robert Redford crafts a revealing look at the rush to judgement. This tale of scapegoat justice is just as applicable in our time as in 1865. McAvoy and Wilkinson are spectacular, and Robin Wright displays a stoic sort of grace I haven't seen before. I can't imagine another actress capturing this woman's essence any better.
June 22, 2015
A very gripping account of, possibly in the history of America, the gravest case of injustice served during the country's bleakest days after the assassination of the beloved President Abraham Lincoln, who believed in the sacred rights of every citizen. What irony.
June 12, 2015
A slow burn, boosted mainly by strong performances from several actors, good ideas, and important history.
½ April 18, 2015
The Conspirator was purely for entertainment and writers took creative license. History buffs understand that Mary Surratt was really guilty and an even mor interesting story is that her lawyer, Frederick Aiken was quite the incompetent lawyer AND not a war hero (he was actually a double agent). Anyway, decent acting and believable. Amazing how much the actor who played Payne really looked like him!!
March 7, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
½ January 26, 2015
A very good solid drama, the acting and the script were top notch. I really got caught up on the drama of the moment and was very upset with the ending. With twist and turns during the entire and good solid suspense, Director Redford delivers a solid movie with a good piece of history. As that being I give "The Conspirator"a solid C-.
December 19, 2014
Well directed and well acted!
November 22, 2014
You can't watch the film and not feel a tad bit of sorrow for the mistrial of the woman accused to have conspired on the assassination of Lincoln. The acting is great and the while the film may drag it still a very interesting piece of storytelling.