The Counterfeiters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Counterfeiters Reviews

November 24, 2016
This dark film based on a true story works as an absorbing moral exercise about the terrible choices that some were forced to make in order to survive the horrors of the Holocaust, and it deserves even more credit for making us sympathize with a not-very-likable anti-hero.
½ May 3, 2016
Extremely good movie about counterfeiters forced to forge British and American currency in concentration camps during WWII. Movie does an excellent job exploring the ethical issues of coercion.
April 30, 2016
Great piece of German cinema. Tense and brutal. Well recommended.
½ April 11, 2016
An utterly gripping Holocaust story of how even a character of shady morals can be driven in the worst places to rise up to become someone selfless. I could hardly take my attention away as the entire film played to the end.
½ February 29, 2016
An okay film but does not pack any punches.
June 17, 2015
A reasonable take on a story that's more interesting for the very fact of it than it is in the telling. Does a fair job of emulating the grainy yet lush presentation of mid century European cinema. Unfortunately, in its presentation of the compromises made by concentration camp inmates, and the way that man can become accustomed to the worst atrocities, it fails to strike an adequate balance between the empathy of the characters and the audience, failing to stir the kind of reaction any story like this should, no matter how many times it is told.
January 6, 2015
2007 Academy award winner for best foreign language film. The counterfeiters, based on a true story set in world war 2 on the biggest counterfeiting in the history of economic warfare (operation bernhard) is a gripping, fast paced and thought provoking war drama brilliantly directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky.
½ December 7, 2014
Karl Marlovics' exceptional performance is the pinnacle of the film. However, the moving parts of the storyline are hindered by the parallel moral complexities and dilemmas, altogether uncompleted at the end.
November 30, 2014
Dark, extremely well-acted; the protagonist's subtle, subversive resistance is inspiring.
June 29, 2014
Now THAT I haven't seen before. Thanks.
½ June 20, 2014
Towards the end of World War II, the National Socialists forged millions of British pounds in order to weaken the enemy's economy. A counterfeiting plant was set up with prisoners in the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen.
April 27, 2014
Thought this was a pretty solid movie. Low and behold, it won the 2008 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film...as you know by now, my favorite category. Maybe that's how it ended up on my list but I'd forgotten and was pleasantly surprised. Watching it, I thought to be another low-profile but above average Holocaust movie...like Escape from Sobibor.

Pretty solid story though I think they tossed some of the drama with the opening scene. In a Holocaust movie, one should never really know if the protagonist makes it through. It's evident from the first scene that Markovics character does.

What that scene does not tell you is some other pretty neat stuff. All along, I'm wanting to scream at Burger for his goddamn principles. I, too, try to be a man of principle, sometimes to the point of fault. In the Holocaust, I thought he was unnecessarily endangering the lives of those around him - lives that would be ended if not for the project, and then all those offspring would never come to fruition, etc. By the end, however, Burger's heroism is apparent.

So you have some fine acting. Markovic in the lead role is great (ha, someone on imdb said it was Statham's greatest role). He gives no emotion and is just a man all about survival and using his skill to do it. The Burger character has a little more range since he wants to put it all on the line, but another fine choice in casting.

Finally, what kills me most is the fucking Nazis. I hate Nazis with a passion. Obviously, the evil aspect would do it for most, but how about the hypocrisy? When the Jew will do what it takes to survive, he is a coward or scum. When the table is turned, the Nazi always cowers like a baby. Goddamn Nazis.

So a good flick. There are good and bad Holocaust movies, high-profile and low. I thought this was low profile while watching and that almost made it better.
½ April 18, 2014
The Counterfeiters depicts a miraculously realistic tale of human drama to confront with one's own predicament with genuine emotional complexity.
February 9, 2014
This is the best movie about Ww2 I've seen and one of the best movie's I've seen period.
February 2, 2014
Accolades
Academy Awards 2007 (24 February 2008) Won Best Foreign Language Film; Austria[5]
Berlin International Film Festival, 2007 Nominated for Golden Bear award: Stefan Ruzowitzky
German Film Awards, 2007 Won Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Devid Striesow Nominated for Best Cinematography: Benedict Neuenfels Nominated for Best Costume Design: Nicole Fischnaller Nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Karl Markovics Nominated for Best Production Design: Isidor Wimmer
Nominated for Best Screenplay: Stefan Ruzowitzky Nominated for Outstanding Feature Film: Nina Bohlmann, Babette Schröder, Josef Aichholzer
February 2, 2014
Not sure about the Oscar but powerful, thought-provoking and complex.
January 2, 2014
Kerrankin erilainen sotaelokuva tai pikemminkin jännäri.
November 19, 2013
A remarkable true story about a group of Jews forced to forge banknotes from a concentration camp in WWII Germany.
Torn between their will to stay alive and the politics of funding the Nazi regime, there is in-fighting amongst the group, headed by fantastic lead performances from Karl Markovics and August Diehl.
An Oscar winner for Foreign Language Film, this film is well recommended to fans of foreign cinema and/or great war movies.
September 25, 2013
This was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Very moving, very feeling. This was also a part of WWII history I was unaware of, that the Germans attempted to flood the British and American markets with counterfeit currency, using Jewish labor to accomplish their means. I was impressed by this film on many levels.