The Dark Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Reviews

½ December 9, 2017
A bolder, more legitimate gritty approach in comparison to the previous installment in the franchise. Heath Ledger's justified performance almost makes up for all the poor choreography one could possibly hope to be better...well, almost.
December 9, 2017
The Joker killed it. One of the best Superhero movies ive seen so far
December 4, 2017
Outstanding movie, very long, rewatchable, and great performances
½ December 1, 2017
I honestly believe that this movie is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. I had to force myself to sit through the dull plot and the cringey moments I had to witness.
November 29, 2017
I love this movie. Seen it many, many times. My favourite character was the Joker.
November 28, 2017
I have no words, it is the best superheroe movie of all times.
November 26, 2017
Um dos melhores filmes que eu ja vi. Tem um clima pesado e tenso, que faz com que a excentricidade do Coringa fique mais clara. Empolgante, bem produzido e dirigido. Heath Ledger brilha como o melhor Coringa ate agora.
November 26, 2017
It is the best Nolan Batman trilogy's movie in my opinion. We had the best Joker so far, portrayed by Heath Ledger, and probably the best one in a lot of years. Christian Bale as Batman is pretty awesome, the dialogue and direction is incredible, and it has a great ending.
November 25, 2017
The only superhero film that transcends the genre; Nolan's gritty realism is unbelievably effective because it's within the realm of possibility. The Joker is no demon, god, or unstoppable creature, but a vulnerable, human vehicle for chaos, anarchy, and terror. Heath Ledger's Joker is hands down the greatest performance of the decade and--arguably--of all time. A film (and trilogy) that must be puzzling to next gen DC fans because it's not an awful Marvel knockoff like Justice League, Suicide Squad, or any other current projects.
November 23, 2017
Average crime drama. Could've been shorter. Only thing making interesting is the joker scenes
November 22, 2017
There is nothing wrong with this film. It's the movie that proves that Batman is better than any thing Marvel can throw at you. This movie is perfect. Best villain of all time. Best hero. Not the best action but that's okay because that's not what it's about. This is a movie about the minds of our hero and villains and how Joker is an evil reflection of Batman and an amazing movie overall.
November 21, 2017
There are very few sequels that are better than the first movie, even more so when that first movie is amazing, but TDK does just that, it tops what I thought might have been as a movie that just couldn't be topped.

Heath Legders Joker is still, to this day not only the best superhero/comic book movie villain ever, but is one of the great villains in movie histroy.

Eckhart's Harvey Dent is overshadowed but not buried in the film and is another great character,turned into villain. Movie has lots of great performances sprinkled in throughout. Some good turns by actors like Eric Roberts and Anthony Michael Hall, who saw that one coming, but Nolan seems to know exactly who he wants in smaller roles to fill out a cast and the best movie her possibly can.
November 20, 2017
UNA OBRA MAESTRA...asi de sencillo, el joker genial.
November 20, 2017
i jacked off to it like 523904832904 times with my dog in a jacuzzi
November 19, 2017
Best Comic book film to date. Even if you don't like comic books you could get on board with this film as a thriller. Nolan does a great job and Ledger with an unforgettable performance
November 19, 2017
CRIME THRILLER AND DARK FUN. SO WATCH IT NOW.Christopher Nolan's second bundle of joy "The Dark Knight" EXCEEDED all of my expectations!!! With the success of 2005's reboot of the Batman franchise, they took what was already established and expanded it, amped it up, and gave a deeper, darker and brooding story that is more gripping and the suspense is likely to catch you of guard several times throughout. Christian Bale delves more deeper into Batman, sworn to fight evil and injustice, though also quite reluctant and uncertain if his crusade can ever end and cleanse his inner turmoil from his fractured soul due to the murder of his beloved parents. But with the help of his trusted butler/ally Alfred (played superbly by Michael Cane) grounds him, gives him moral support, and keeps him in check. But the real star of the show is Heath Ledger as Batman's most deadly enemy, The Joker. I can HONESTLY tell you that: as good as Jack Nicholson was in Batman'89 he is CHILD'S PLAY compared to this Joker. He is sadistic, psychotic, and downright SCARIER and PSYCHOLOGICALLY disturbing than the previous incarnation of The Clown Prince of Crime and Ledger gives it his all to do him justice. Along with the original cast comes some fresh faces such as Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal and more. I must say though I liked Katie Holmes, Gyllenhaal gives a much better performance and is a far cry from the "damsel-in-distress" stereotype (though there's a little of it, THANKFULLY) that's common in films. Bale and Gyllenhall have MUCH better chemistry this time around more so than Holmes. Even better, the fight sequences are vastly improved and feature more brutal and bone crushing combat than "Begins" in addition to new technology at Batman's disposal.

Also worth mentioning is screenwriter Jonathan Nolan, who gives the film an added frosting to an already delicious cake.

Simply put, The Dark Knight is totally more bad ass than "Begins." The action is great, and the plot is more deeper and engrossing. I applaud Christopher Nolan, Christian Bale, and especially Heath Ledger (who sadly passed away earlier this year) and all those aboard for believing in Mr. Nolan's talents for this second installment. Although some may feel a bit of melancholy over Ledger's death, but as a final note I will say this sincerely from my heart: Remember Heath Ledger and honor him in your minds and hearts not only for his performances, but as a human being and father to his daughter Matilda Ledger. May we issue him best wishes for his family and friends and his daughter for years to come. Remember . . . Honor him not only for this role and past roles, but as an incredible individual and talented actor. We finally get Batman as a fully rendered character. We gain new insight into his motivations and the variables he must contend with in his role as protector of Gotham. We get to see Gary Oldman as an honest-to-goodness good guy. And we get to see Liam Neeson conducting perhaps his strangest facial hair experiment yet. But after seeing The Dark Knight, Batman Begins will forevermore be viewed (by me at least) as a handy little prologue to a FRICKIN' MASTERPIECE of a superhero film. To say it's the deepest mainstream comic adaptation ever produced would be akin to calling the Nolan/Ledger Joker 'a bit eccentric'. While watching it, I found myself thinking it was very long, which is usually a sign that it's TOO long, and therefore boring. But that's not actually the case here. The script is bulging with ideas, philosophical musings, THEMES, which Christopher Nolan is not content to gloss over in favour of cool set-pieces (as many comic adaptations are), but wants to explore, wants to allow the characters to explore, at a logical pace. So, what I guess I'm saying is, considering what it sets out to do, the movie is long ENOUGH, while still constantly holding the viewer's interest. And that's not to say the thematic exploration comes at the EXPENSE of big action, either. On the contrary, there is some truly awesome stuff going on here. The chase with the truck, for example, is fantastic, and there's some great hand-to-hand stuff too. But what engages us most is the characters, and, while the script is brilliant (the dialogue is sharp, and quite funny for the first two-thirds, before the drama really kicks in), this mainly comes down to the cast. Christian Bale. Taller than Michael Keaton was. More menacing than Val Kilmer was. Less like Adam West than George Clooney was. Solid and committed as always. He gives the character LIFE, and actually makes us feel for him. The word 'tortured' keeps coming to mind...and I suppose it's pretty appropriate. Heath Ledger. Y'know, I'd heard talk of an Oscar nomination, and thought it sounded a bit dubious. A Batman villain? Winning an Oscar? Is that what it's come to? Then I thought, is it because he didn't get one for Brokeback? Or more dubious still...is it because he...died? But...well...how can I put it...? It seems a bit blasphemous to compare Jack Nicholson to Cesar Romero, but after seeing Heath at work...Jack (who once seemed so awesome) just looks...well...lame. If you've seen it, you hopefully get what I mean. If you haven't...you need to. You will discover the true definition of commitment. Maggie Gyllenhaal. I didn't have any problem with Katie in the first one (at the time), but I doubt she could have pulled off the more emotional stuff Rachel goes through here. Seeing recasting was necessary (does Tom have a problem with his wife being involved with Batman? Too many bad memories perhaps? Why am I even talking about such garbage here?) they could have done a butt-load worse than Maggie. She rocks. As does Aaron Eckhart. But I'm not giving ANYTHING away. Suffice it to say my mind was blown...AGAIN. Makes Tommy Lee Jones look like...you get the idea. Michael Caine. Still one of my favourite actors. Alfred is the shiz. Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman. AOK. Gary Oldman. As in BB, no mania. No psychosis. No nervous tics. Absolute subtlety. Manages to hold his own alongside Christian, Heath and Aaron without resorting to parlour tricks. Sign of spectacular talent. Go Gaz. Eric Roberts! William Fichtner! Michael Jai White! Tiny Lister! The whole thing is just a big bag of thoughtful, well-executed entertainment. It's equal parts cerebral and visceral. Ideas and action. I've liked every Batman movie so far (okay, besides Batman &
November 18, 2017
Undoubtedly the best Batman film ever made. It is balances the interesting superhero with Heath Ledger's incredible performance as the Joker. You won't be checking your watch during this one!
November 18, 2017
Holy Shit! This Is Far More Than A Superhero...
November 18, 2017
Holy Shit! This Is Far More Than A Superhero...
½ November 18, 2017
Ah, the good old days when DC was king of comic book adaptation movies. Heath Ledger will forever be the best Joker in the cinematic world. Even Bruce and Rachel's cringey and totally unnecessary romance was tolerable because all eyes were on the charismatic and extremely ruthless Joker.