The Dark Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Reviews

January 23, 2017
This is my FAVORITE movie of all time! Perfect plot, perfect characters, and perfect performance by Heath Ledgar as the Joker making this the best character I have ever scene in a movie hands down! He played the joker roll PERFECTLY! I must have rewatch this over 50 times and it just gets better and better! This is an all around GREAT FILM!
January 22, 2017
It's a long way off but it's gotta be the best upcoming Superhero movie... and the Joker is lookin' mean!
January 21, 2017
The Dark Knight offers a dark, and occasionally disturbing movie that can't help but pale in comparison to the Keaton-Nicholson BATMAN film of 1989.
January 17, 2017
Though this film deserves a very long review, as I have so much to say about it, what more needs to be said than has already been mentioned by the nation's critics, who have contributed to The Dark Knight's whopping 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Some are saying it's better than Batman Begins, director Chris Nolan's first film in this new Batman series. I disagree, but only because I think that film is a lot better than some critics remember it. I do think, however, that The Dark Knight is just as masterful, and since I consider both to be nearly flawless enough to give them each five stars, it's high enough praise to say this new film is the rare sequel that lives up to the original.

completely original take on the character. Everyone will be talking
about his performance, as well they should be, but I hope they won't
lose sight of how terrific the acting is across the board. Christian

Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman have less to do, but every second
they're on screen, they're terrific. Gary Oldman continues to show that he's just as compelling playing good guys as bad ones; his Commissioner Gordon is a pillar of virtue. Maggie Gyllenhall (Stranger Than Fiction) steps in for Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. While I'm one of the apparently few people who didn't mind Mrs. Cruise in the first film, Gyllenhall adds a bit more life to the character. Finally Aaron Eckhart gives a subtle and layered performance as Gotham D.A. Harvey Dent. If Ledger wasn't stealing the show, it'd be Eckhart's acting everyone would be talking about.

The action: terrific (a mid-movie chase scene stands out in my mind). The screenplay: just like Begins, it's full of fantastic moral investigations, fleshed-out characters, and plenty of surprises which I wouldn't dare reveal here. Like the first film, this is dark and scary, but with a lining of humanity and just a touch of humor. The direction is even better this time (thank you, Mr. Nolan, for allowing us to actually see the fights). Don't believe those reviews which say they don't know how this slipped by with a PG-13 rating; it is intense, and the Joker is brutal and horrific, but just like a great Hitchcock movie, the actual gruesome stuff occurs in your imagination, not on-screen. There's not any blood that I can remember, though there are some freaky images vis- a-vis the villains' physical appearance and the sight of some corpses.

That being said, this is not a movie to take kids to. Just because you don't see a lot of gore, doesn't mean it isn't terrifying. If you're afraid of clowns, buckle up. Pushed to his limits, Batman gets mean. I mean Jack Bauer mean! At any rate, this is a terrific film; a crime/morality drama first, an action thriller second, and a comic book movie third. It isn't flawless, but the minor complaints are so nit-picky that I've no need to mention them here. Sorry Wall- E, but you're gonna have to pass the crown of year's best film over. The Dark Knight is king, and his jester is chilling. ***** (out of five).

THE DARK KNIGHT Family Movie Review
jonathan July 18, 2008 Comic Book No Comments
dark knight

By Jonathan Decker (Family therapist, film critic)

dark knight

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker? Everything you've heard, all of the praise and hype? All true. His is a riveting, terrifying, and darkly hilarious portrayal of the ultimate villain, and it's a completely original take on the character. Everyone will be talking about his performance, as well they should be, but I hope they won't lose sight of how terrific the acting is across the board. Christian Bale continues to impress as the best Batman/Bruce Wayne ever. Since he was so well established last time, he's given slightly less screen time here, but he's equally compelling as a man pushed to his limits.

Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman have less to do, but every second they're on screen, they're terrific. Gary Oldman continues to show that he's just as compelling playing good guys as bad ones; his Commisioner Gordon is a pillar of virtue. Maggie Gyllenhall (Stranger Than Fiction) steps in for Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. While I'm one of the apparently few people who didn't mind Mrs. Cruise in the first film, Gyllenhall adds a bit more life to the character. Finally Aaron Eckhart gives a subtle and layered performance as Gotham D.A. Harvey Dent. If Ledger wasn't stealing the show, it'd be Eckhart's acting everyone would be talking about.

The action: terrific (a mid-movie chase scene stands out in my mind). The screenplay: just like Begins, it's full of fantastic moral investigations, fleshed-out characters, and plenty of surprises which I wouldn't dare reveal here. Like the first film, this is dark and scary, but with a lining of humanity and just a touch of humor. The direction is even better this time (thank you, Mr. Nolan, for allowing us to actually see the fights). Don't believe those reviews which say they don't know how this slipped by with a PG-13 rating; it is intense, and the Joker is brutal and horrific, but just like a great Hitchcock movie, the actual gruesome stuff occurs in your imagination, not on-screen. There's not any blood that I can remember, though there are some freaky images vis-a-vis the villains' physical appearance and the sight of some corpses.

That being said, this is not a movie to take kids to. Just because you don't see a lot of gore, doesn't mean it isn't terrifying. If you're afraid of clowns, buckle up. Pushed to his limits, Batman gets mean. I mean Jack Bauer mean! At any rate, this is a terrific film; a crime/morality drama first, an action thriller second, and a comic book movie third. It isn't flawless, but the minor complaints are so nit-picky that I've no need to mention them here. Sorry Wall-E, but you're gonna have to pass the crown of year's best film over. The Dark Knight is king, and his jester is chilling. ***** (out of five).
January 16, 2017
awesome movie it's so legit
January 15, 2017
The only 5-star superhero movie in the history of superhero movies. It's quality.
January 14, 2017
One of the best crime dramas of all time. *great movie
January 14, 2017
Not only the greatest comic book film ever made, but one of the greatest Sequels ever made.
January 13, 2017
Batman is a good film.
January 11, 2017
The dark knight is a good movie I like the joker as The villain joker is funny, and scary, sarcastic it was a good Choice to have joker as the villain! Nothing can go wrong with having joker. And to face is in this movie as well, but I like joker more. There where funny parts of joker that made me laugh a lot! I like how joker say why so Serious!!! And much more. Now I'm a Batman fan and what I did when I heard about this movie I watch the trailer and loved the trailer a lot so I chose to see the movie and it was what I expected!! My favorite characters were Batman and Joker. Can Batman win over joker? Find out!!!
½ January 11, 2017
Cinematography & Editing - 9.5
Soundtrack/Score & Set Design - 9.5
How much I enjoyed it personally - 9.5
January 7, 2017
There's a reason this is heralded as the best Batman movie, even the best comic book movie, and it's not just because of the late Heath Ledger's wonderful performance. While that is indeed the highlight of the movie, the truly effective attributes are the subtleties in the background. The cinematography in this film is wonderful, a constant movement of the camera gives it a feel of naturalism. It's also very impressive how they kept this feature subtle, never moving to the point of distraction. Character intent is also done brilliantly through visual and auditorial hints. In the scene where Gordon enters Dent's office, there is no chair on the opposite of the desk. This showcases Dent's inability to face problems and his distaste for opinion based justice, favouring instead what's 'fair.' The score also adds to the naturalistic feel of the film, by using a lot of minimalistic music, it gives just the right amount to trigger the audience's emotion and therefore involvement. So while all the technical aspects are wonderful, how does the acting hold up. Well, Heath Ledger bathes in everything that makes the Joker who he is, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman both understand their place as the emotional anchors that keep Bruce down and Aaron Eckhart does a good job of playing the Harvey part of Two-Face. Unfortunately, Christian Bale, with his utterly ridiculous voice, and unemotional portrayal of Bruce Wayne does let it down a little, The writing also seems to misunderstand the character of Two-Face, in the way that they forget he is psychologically Two-Faced, the real base of his character. Despite these problems, The Dark Knight is still an incredibly involving and powerful movie, and the best Batman has to offer.
January 4, 2017
probably my favorite movie of all time it was fantastic i especially loved the joker performance by heath ledger. RIP
January 3, 2017
Quite brilliant cinematography and acting. However, too dark and too little difference between good and evil for this viewer.
January 2, 2017
Great movie. Awesome direction, screenplay and performances
½ December 30, 2016
This is a movie that you find your eyes being glued to, not wanting to miss a single moment of what may happen next. Especially with the Joker in particular. His character is so unpredictably insane and genius, making for a hell of a showdown between Batman and he. Ledger's fascinating performance even helps overcome Bale's bizarre raspy Batman-talk.
December 29, 2016
Bajo la dirección de Nolan una pelicula llena de intriga y emoiones un gran y ambisiosa adaptación alabada sea la actuación Del joker
December 28, 2016
Honestly the best movie I have ever seen Nolan's dark take on Batman is perfect and Heath Ledger created a character that can never be replaced. The Joker was an amazing character that will forever be remembered as Ledger went all method and exceeded expectations. Bale provided just what everyone wanted with Batman. A dark hero but still refused to kill. The storyline of Harvey Dent is perfect and Nolan knew exactly how to portray every character and found the perfect actors. He basically saved the Batman movie franchise from corny puns and we should all thank him for not letting Batman completely plunge into stupid scripts.