The Darkest Hour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Darkest Hour Reviews

November 4, 2016
I actually really liked this movie. I don't really see some of the other reviews points, i think it had a cool concept, and i've been wanting a sequl, even though i don't think thats going to happen.
jamrcla
August 1, 2016
After all the negative comments I was expecting a disaster but I was pleasantly suprised, The story kicks in right away and was kind of different, The effects were pretty good, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, Ok the aliens looked like something from PS1's Doom and the acting wasn't the best but on the whole a not bad alien invasion film that just needed a kick up arse to get it going in the action parts.
½ July 25, 2016
This is one but a shitty movie to enjoy.
But Come On!!! It Can't Be 12%, It most definitely can't be Batman And Robin Bad, Just, Come on!

It is Far More Exciting than i expected and i didn't wanna miss this one.

Score: 6.5/10
½ July 17, 2016
"We'll have an alien invasion in Russia!"
"Wow, so there'll be crazy badass Russians fighting them and being crazy badass Russians??"
"No. Whiny privileged American exchange students. Because 'Murica."
"So why set it in Russia?"
"..."
May 21, 2016
Saw this years ago, what I recall is it being OK
January 14, 2016
Good movie! But it has the same old fashion alien story line but in a different context!
September 16, 2015
It was ok, there were a few tense scenes but nothing that could catagorize this movie as a thriller, suspense, or horror. I found the acting to be completely unbelievable at first but as people begin to die off the mediocre acting gets overshadowed by the several very strange groups of survivors they run across, each with their own theory and homemade weapons that tend to malfunction more than they actually work. However, the one's lucky enough to survive are actually planning to use these makeshift weapons to declare was on millions of invisible aliens... yea, ok.. Hopefully they will not make it back to the US so that wemkokudon't have tttto bec
September 6, 2015
O filme é ruim, tem um roteiro ruim e atuações péssimas, principalmente os russo, mas os aliens até que são leais e a ideia deles é boa, mas não salva esse filme.
August 20, 2015
Promising film with an interesting premise, taxed by an unwanted, unconvincing and uninteresting ending.
August 5, 2015
It's a B movie with a modest budget.

A bunch of nearly invisible aliens have come to steal our minerals for whatever reason. The visual effects are creative, but they can get somewhat repetitive.

The actors do well with the material they have, which I found to be surprisingly believable. Unlike most movies in this genre, the characters are surprisingly cooperative. There is no time for remorse when a character dies but a good number of leads die in the film.

I guess the biggest missed opportunity was that this is just a popcorn film and doesn't really have much to say in regards to theme other than teamwork. It's in a weird spot, it's not bad enough to be made fun of but it's not good enough to be taken seriously. However, I didn't hate myself after watching so check it out if you want. If not, your not missing much.
July 14, 2015
Another movie that made me cry.
April 30, 2015
Good effects and the scientific shit apocalypse is good also.
½ April 20, 2015
One of those brain numbingly stupid movies that has a lot of big bangs and very little else
½ April 12, 2015
"The Darkest Hour" has some interesting ideas that make up for its low budget, but it's crippled with bad dialogue and a lame story. Ben (Max Minghella) and Sean (Emile Hirsch) are traveling to Moscow for work purposes and while at a nightclub they meet two English-speaking ladies (what are the odds?) Natalie (Olivia Thirbly) and Anne (Rachel Taylor). Things are going well when all of a sudden ALIEN ATTACK! An invisible otherworldly attack force is laying siege on our planet and our characters must scramble to survive. Even if they do, will there be anything left of our civilization?

Some of the concepts, like invisible invaders that have no discernable weaknesses, having night and the darkness be a safer time to travel than daytime and having foreigners stuck in a country while an alien invasion takes place are all interesting and should make for some interesting plot points. My first problem with the movie is that it gets frustrating to have absolutely nothing to look at it when it comes to the antagonists. You would think that maybe there would be some variety in the creatures that are sent out to destroy mankind, with some initial, invisible invaders and then maybe some visible, not-so-threatning ground troops to add a bit of variety to the movie but it's the same thing all the way through. It's the kind of thing that would work on paper, or in a novel but feels cheap on the screen. It's true that what your mind comes up with is going to be a lot more frightening than anything that could be created in the movie but this doesn't aim to be a frightening horror movie, it's an action adventure film.

To make things worse, the dialogue is poorly written and the characters are flat and the plot is badly written. You can easily predict who is going to make it out alive and who is going to be disintegrated by aliens because all of the characters that die are either late additions to the movie, have no character development or perform some kind of desperate, heroic action before getting whipped out. This means that there's a big lack of tension throughout, hampered further by the fact that the movie's internal logic is very flawed. So these aliens are invisible, but you can kind of "see" them because they make any electronics go haywire (light bulbs light up, appliances get activated, that sort of thing). This means that during night time, you can spot them pretty easily if they pass by anything electronic. In an atypical move, darkness is your friend here. Characters spread lightbulbs on the ground to check if the invaders are present or attach them to their own clothing so they can tell when danger is close. That's cool, but sometimes I found it to be inconsistent. I also thought that the way they handled the aliens' "monster vision" didn't really make a lot of sense. It appears to be consistent from scene to scene, depending on whether or not the characters are supposed to get spotted or get away safely. Despite the movie's low budget it does use the money it has well, except when we do finally get a reveal of what the invisible invaders look like. They look incredibly cheap and clearly created by computer effects (Another instance where practical effects would have been the better option).

This felt more like a video game than an actual movie. The characters move from checkpoint to checkpoint, avoiding aliens, gathering weapons and meeting with allies while people get introduced and killed off in rotation. The main survivors acquire a special weapon about halfway through the movie and it's a big deal. They can finally start fighting back while everyone else has just been running this whole time. A couple of scenes later however, someone tells the protagonists that the gun can easily be replicated and they have a second one within the hour. Doesn't that sound like an "upgrade unlocked" feature in something you'd find on your Playstation?

The characters act without logic, the aliens develop weaknesses whenever the plot is convenient and the explanations we get for the alien invasion and weaponry are complete non-sense. The story feels like a stock space invader plotand there's nothing that really make this stand out. I don't recommend this one. (On Blu-ray, November 4,2012)
½ March 21, 2015
This movie reminds me a lot of Skyline in that it's primarely concerned with visual effects over actual story. The movie tells about an alien invasion by invisible beings who are electromagnetic in nature. That sounds good and some of the ideas of how the monsters here are unique to more traditional aliens are interesting but it never really goes far enough and the ideas come across as half baked. I also got the impression that the story and characters were put in as an afterthought, as the scenes where our protagonists aren't fighting energy monsters come across as extremely boring. I just never got a sense of any of these characters hopes and fears. It's a movie I'm glad I saw but it's one that I can't recommend.
February 17, 2015
The premise for this sci-fi horror is a pretty good one and the film starts off well, but the increasingly silly survival plot and the lame characters that are hard to take serious in this situation ruin it all.
February 1, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
January 26, 2015
Complicated yet idiotic plot. Low budget
January 25, 2015
Some of the reviews on here are clearly from people of most forgiving and generous dispositions - it's like a really really good school drama project
January 17, 2015