The Day of the Triffids Reviews

• Feb 09, 2020

One of the best horror/monster movies I have ever seen. Of course I saw it in 1963..but it was still great. Great acting, plot, etc.

• Oct 07, 2019

As a monster movie it is pretty good and it even has its own ideas and realises John Wyndham's atmosphere well. But and it is a very big 'but' - it has very little to do with the novel.

• Oct 05, 2018

I remember so well the 1981 BBC1 adaptation of Day of the Triffids. It may now be dated but, by Christ, it gave me plenty of sleepless nights as a 6 year old boy. Years later I discovered the work of author John Wyndham who is now one of my favourite writers. Day of the Triffids is one of his best books. I didn't know that there was a 1963 film version of his opus. I'm glad I've now seen it as it looks gorgeous. In these days of Blu ray restorations this film is a prime candidate. If a 4K scan of an original and restored print was released this film may be appreciated as a long-forgotten gem.  The plot involves a meteorite shower making whoever saw it go blind. Fortunately our leading man Bill Masen is in an eye hospital after an accident which has damaged his sight. His heavily bandaged eyes mean that he was spared from seeing the meteors fall. Plants called triffids have started to grow and come to life seemingly because of the shower. They are carnivorous, can walk and possess a very high intelligence. Oh, and they seem to hate and want to kill humans.  This isn't a particularly faithful adaptation of Wyndham's book but it's still interesting and holds perceptive observations into the breakdown of society when something catastrophic happens and how fragile the bonds that hold us all together really are. But it also shows how altruistic humans are when such an event happens.  The ending of this adaptation feels a little bit too simplistic and pat but it does very little to ruin the rest of this beautiful film. Fun fact- it's this version that had gained the ultimate accolade- its quoted in a lyric of the song 'Science Fiction, Double Feature' in The Rocky Horror Show- ''And I got really hot when I saw Janette Scott/Fight a triffid that spits poison and kills...'

• Nov 09, 2017

I found this movie clunky and badly made. The Triffids were not at all frightening, especially because they moved so slowly. Not a very good film for me

• Oct 11, 2016

Wonderful British scifi. Inspiration for 28 days later, and the best man eating plants I've ever seen on screen prior to "little shop of horrors."

• Aug 11, 2016

The Day of the Triffids is a solid, but very flawed sci-fi flick that benefits from an authentic premise to it, good practical effects, a solid structure and some memorable scenes, but the ending is so forced and contrived not only in its religious overtones but also in the unfortunate sea water plot device plus the horror elements weren't particularly effective.

• Jul 08, 2016

Interesting sci fi horror with alien plants invading Earth and killing everyone they come across. Well acted and intelligent but the triffids were badly done

• Jul 05, 2016

This was solid and surprisingly very effective at getting across both the dread and horrific atmosphere of such a predicament--and would make a very good double bill with Kaufman's (70's) 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. I love my veggies, but I'll never look at a salad the same way again...

• Mar 19, 2016

Basically, it's an apocalyptic movie with giant carnivorous plants from space instead of zombies (think Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, George A. ROMERO's movies from 1978 and 1985). It succeeds better as a science-fiction than an horror movie. Some of the editing is rough and the two parallel storylines sometimes feel underdeveloped.

• Aug 18, 2015

A clever Sci-Fi concept but I don't think it was directed well & ultimately executed & despite the clever story many aspects where dull. More or less the story of a strange flashing lights seen all through the world & then affecting any plant life turning them into murderous tress known as Triffids. With better direction & acting I think there would be a much stronger film. It's a great concept & could be done superb today with new CGI technology.