The Deer Hunter Reviews

• 2d ago

Amazing performances even for 2020

Amazing performances even for 2020

• May 23, 2020

A powerful movie featuring a array of excellent performances. Robert De Niro is the standout with how the war affects him with his emotional depth. Christopher Walken and John Savage do a great job. With Walkens fun character changing as he goes AWOL and forgetting his life back home. The many scenes with De Niron and Walken are strong, from the scene where Walken says if anything happens take me home to the Russian Roulette. Walken is very natural in his role, we watch his fun and enjoyment turn into a nightmare in his head. A well deserved Oscar win. Savages character from a wedding to eventually being in a wheelchair at a funeral. See De Niron and Savage in the hospital is very moving. There is plenty of sadness, there is plenty of loss of innocence and how life changes fast and dramatically. The Vietnam war is how it changed people, how different react but how it can mess with your head. The Russian Roulette is shocking, and the debate whether it happened will keep going. Human life becomes something with gamble for just like the amount of men who died in the war. I was upset at the end of the movie, it touched me as they sing remembering better days. The song itself is very ironic about America. The opening third of the movie is terrific as we see a small community from their work, their drinking, their hunting and a well staged wedding. The fun and enjoyment that everyone had. The film changes quickly into the war, we see a village being bombed and we see dead bodies. De Niros character as he comes back from the war he becomes more quiet and intravert. He can't and kill anymore he has seen too much. The depiction of the Vietnamese people is very one sided and it does let it down slightly. We are not meant to like them as they seem very blood thirsty. The camera and cinematography is terrific, the small industrial village has a simpleness to it and the mountains from the hunting is gorgeous. War is hell, war changes lives, including the people most closest to you. Its an anti war movie that makes you think and makes you care. After the war you go home and things have to change.

• May 12, 2020

Savagery of the American mind.

Savagery of the American mind.

• May 06, 2020

2 or 3 really memorable scenes, but that just isn't enough for a 3-hour movie. I think, one day, it will be excellent source material for a remake.

• Apr 25, 2020

Despite a very slow beginning the film really picks up the pace when the male leads are in Vietnam battling the VC. Typically strong performance from DeNiro and outstanding tune for main theme.

• Apr 23, 2020

Our soliders didn't do dirty stuffs like that?

Our soliders didn't do dirty stuffs like that?

• Apr 16, 2020

While not absolutely flawless, it definitely conveys the impact and trauma that the Vietnam war left to those unfortunate enough to live through its horrors

• Mar 27, 2020

The Deer Hunter serves as both a tribute to those who (un)willingly served in Vietnam and a condemnation of the war effort, a dichotomy that became more blurred in films such as Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. But for The Deer Hunter, it focuses on the psychological impact that the Vietnam War had on its young participants. For the first hour of the film, the viewer is introduced to a rambunctious group of fun-loving Pennsylvanian steel-workers who enjoy deer-hunting and tail-chasing. The wedding party scene serves as the perfect contrast for the drastic shift in psychology that the men undergo after their torturous (to say the least) experience in Vietnam. The film did not linger for long on the men's days on the battlefield and in captivity (at least when compared to other contemporary films), which I found refreshing. It serves as more of a character study than a 'war film.' Seeing the men broken down through a brutal game of Russian Roulette and watching poor Nicky eventually succumb to the game's torment was all the more heartbreaking. Speaking of Nicky, Christopher Walken truly gave the performance of his career and stole nearly every scene he was a part of. Like Charlie Sheen's Chris Taylor in Platoon, Nicky served as the metaphor for the loss of innocence that the Vietnam War became (in)famous for. The ensemble cast did extremely well and added to the immersion of this all-too-real and visceral tale. However, I did find faults with the film in its pacing and length. For a film to justify a 3 HOUR run time, it needs to be of exceptional quality and be properly paced. Unfortunately, The Deer Hunter could only fulfill the former. Scenes dragged for excessive periods of time and lingered on moments that added absolutely nothing to the overall narrative. I'm all for realism, but the wedding scene was absurdly lengthy, despite the message of the scene being clear in the first few minutes (it felt like a half hour - it may very well have been). The film could have been 2:15 hours and still have been just as effective. However, I don't think this spoils the experience enough to knock it down below its contemporaries. The Deer Hunter remains an essential Vietnam War flick watch, alongside Apocalypse Now, Born on the Fourth of July, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket.

• Mar 23, 2020

Interesting character-study war movie that's more about the effects of war than the actual Vietnam War. Great acting and no rush to get its points across make this a moving, melancholy movie. All of the leads shine and even Michael's change is evident between before serving, then after. A very good anti-war movie.

• Mar 14, 2020

A true heartbreaking story, a true classic and a real drama, the outstanding cast just capture what Michael Cimino and the perfect screenplay wanted.