• PG-13, 1 hr. 50 min.

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

The Dilemma Reviews

Anthony L

October 14, 2013
If the audience isn't sympathetic with the characters why should they care? Are we supposed to be sympathetic towards Kevin James because he's, for want of a better phrase, cuddly? We could also be sympathetic towards Winona Ryder but then she's a women and this is (a poor attempt at) a guys film. The story has possibilities, the challenging of the other man (played by Channing Tatum) was close to good but should have been better. It's missed opportunity after missed opportunity. Not sure what the point of Queen Latifah's character even was? I like Ron Howard, and he's made some great films, he's just not dependable.
Lucas M

July 5, 2012
Ron Howard's The Dilemma it's a surprising black comedy and presents a interesting cast to a humor picture. But it flaw, what could be a different comedy become just another funny drama, sometimes unfunny and a cliche ending. Rotten.
Lady D

January 20, 2012
The Dilemma has some really funny moments, the two main characters worked well together and it's easy watching, it did however, have a weak plot and seemed not to reach it's potential.
blkbomb
blkbomb

November 28, 2011
Ronny Valentine: I just saw my best friend's wife with another man. I'll send you a check.

"The truth hurts."

The Dilemma is a movie that relies on the audience liking the two leads, Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, and I do. In fact I like pretty much everybody involved here, especially Jennifer Connely. Sure the movie has its exceptions; Queen Latifa and Channing Tatum, but for the most part everybody is easy to like. The story isn't great, the movie isn't great, it isn't the funniest thing ever, but it isn't a completely worthless or horrible movie. In fact, I can go as far as to say I liked it.

Two friends and business partners are close to making the deal of their lives and they are both stressing out about it. Nick is the brains of the operation and is married to Geneva(Winona Ryder). Ronny is the talker of the partnership and is thinking about marrying his girlfriend. When he goes to a botanical garden to scout out a place to propose, he sees his best friends wife with another guy. From there he must decide how to handle the situation. Should he just come out and tell his best friend his wife is cheating on him while they are on the verge of a massive deal? Should he wait?

This movie isn't the greatest thing Ron Howard has ever done, but it isn't even close to the worst he has ever done either. The Da Vinci Code anyone? It isn't a landmark movie for anyone involved, but it is a fun little comedy. I think the film is a little over criticized. I know people have been disappointed with what Howard has been doing lately and I know there are a lot of people who don't like Kevin James movies. But come on, honestly this isn't horrible.

This isn't even close to one of the worst movies of the year, which I had heard from some people. It's just a nice, pleasant way to kill a couple hours. That is, once again, if you like the leads.
Emile T

January 12, 2011
I enjoyed it quite a lot and the fact that the different tones of the film make it a bit uneven didn't stop me to appreciate it. It felt honnest to me and the cast did great. It had some moments that were quite funny, too.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 1, 2011
The Dilemma is one of the worst films ever, and one of the worst comedies ever, this film was not funny at all, it sucked. Ronny Valentine (Vince Vaughn) sees his best friends wife kissing another man, and he doesnt know how to tell him because it would ruin a big business deal. The plot is so boring and simple its not even funny, LITERALLY. In fact, this movie was a little sad, and thats not what I paid for. Acting was terrible and the only good thing in this movie was probabaly Channing Tatums performance. Do not buy this movie, rent it, download it, get it on f#cking Netflix, none of these are worth seeing this crappy films.
Nicki M

January 16, 2011
You would think from looking at the cover, and the cast, including Queen Latifah (who, by way, is barely in it), that this is a comedy. You would wrong.
This is a long, dull, drama, with a few token laughs thrown in. I think I rated it even harsher than usual, because it does have a decent cast, and you would think they could all do better.
Plot is pretty much, guy sees his best friend's wife kissing another guy, and then instead of doing the reasonable thing and telling him what he saw, he starts snooping around, and the whole thing is just long, boring, tedious. Not good.
Gregory D

February 8, 2011
Neither good nor bad. This is the Charlie Brown of movies, its so wishy-washy. Channing Tatum had an interesting character, but the rest of the film was not really memorable, in fact after Im done writing this review Ill forget all about this film; I hope I don't re-watch it by mistake!
Cynthia S

July 4, 2011
They should have billed this as a drama, not a comedy. There is more darkness than light. It is not a silly slapstick comedy like they tried to portray in the trailers. It is well written, well directed and well acted by all involved... but comedy? No. Looking at this as a drama, though...I liked it. I am in the Chicago area, so that probably helped.
Edward B

June 29, 2011
There is something seriously wrong with a comedy when the film hasn't been able to muster a laugh out of you in the first fifteen minutes. That The Dilemma goes from being unfunny to simply intolerable by that time is quite a new feat for a bad movie.
Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Queen Latifah, and Channing Tatum run around the film's bloated 112 minutes as one joke characters. Whenever they're onscreen, they try so hard to be funny that it becomes blatantly obvious. Jennifer Connelly is such a good actress, but here her talents are wasted. She's the only one you care about and she barely has any presence.
Another thing: the premise. Vaughn and James are best friends. Vaughn catches his best friend's wife having an affair with another man. This causes him much confusion, stress, and inner turmoil. Should he tell his friend? The answer is simple. Yes, he should. The story tries to over-complicate the matter by adding in that the friends are days away from launching a much desired product, and that Vaughn had slept with James' wife way before James even knew she existed, but the whole scenario is not set up as much of a dilemma.
The end result is a one joke movie where the joke wasn't that funny to begin with. Dump this one as quickly as you would a cheating spouse.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Overall; not really that funny. Was quite dissapointed and the plot of the film wasn't really that good. Channing Tatum and his spectacular body was the only thing that made this film worth watching.
Wildaly M

June 21, 2011
Kinda funny but not that great of a movie.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

June 14, 2011
First thing's first, "The Dilemma" is not a comedy, though it was heavily marketed as one, thus alienating unassuming audiences. The 'comedy' in this Ron Howard picture is not something to be laughed at, it's something to help show the ineptitude of the characters we are watching. Vince Vaughn's Ronny is not the brightest of guys and the stupid things he says and the situation's he gets himself into are supposed to be visual representations of his struggle at determining societal rules and standards of conduct. This comes into play with the exploration of 'cheating' and 'dishonesty' in relationships. These themes are handled rather lightly but in a way I found to be accessible to just about anyone. Who hasn't questioned the commitment and character of those closest to them? This is a universal issue, that's why I am surprised that "The Dilemma" was received so poorly by critics and audiences a like. I admire that Howard took a more serious approach to this material instead of going for the slapstick comedy route. The cast is very good here, Vaughn, Kevin James (in a surprisingly honest performance), Winona Ryder and the always reliable Jennifer Connelly prove relatable and honest when they are needed to be. What ultimately sold "The Dilemma" for me was Ron Howard's classy approach at a serious subject. He handles the narrative with respect and just enough depth to make things satisfying. Is the film ultimately rather fluffy? Yes. But I still think it's underrated and most certainly worth your time.
Pedro H

January 30, 2011
The truth hurts.

This movie hurts

Not at all funny, did not laugh at any point throughout this boring as hell flick. Honestly this review has to be short, very short, because the overall thing and only thing that can be concluded in terms of acting, plot and everything else that involves this movie is that this is pure crap. Do not watch it, ever.

Herbert Trimpy: Those plants are poisonous!
axadntpron
axadntpron

May 18, 2011
How do you have two funny people in a film and manage to only generate more than 3 lackluster laughs? It seems that Howard, an otherwise adept director, wanted every moment to be equal parts touching and humorous. Yet, was only successful at making every scene awkward and shallow. I appreciate that he Howard doesn't appeal to the lowest common denominator and actually makes a film more geared for an adult audience, I just don't think it was executed well.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

June 7, 2011
It took about 5 minutes too long to hook me, but then I couldn't escape it's grip. Real yet entertaining and of course the dilemma itself wasn't as simple as the trailers would lead you to believe.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

June 5, 2011
Wow, okay so it isn't a shock that this movie was terrible, but surely when the back says its Laugh Out Loud i expect at least one laught out loud moment, but this 'Comedy' (which i use very loosely) doesn't even provide you with even one laugh!
The only good thing about this movie is that Jennifer Connelly looks very god looking.
I really don'tunderstand how a talented Ron Howard makes a dull and seriously unfunny movie even when Queen Latifah and Kevin James are ment to be some good comic actors.
Great cast terrble movie, a bit like Valentines Day actually.
Not worth the effort of watching.
Conner R

May 28, 2011
I actually really liked this for the most part. A lot of people make this out to be a really bad movie, but it's just different from what you might expect. I think this is actually a huge turn around for Vince Vaughn, who had been getting a little too goofy in his roles and going too far. This isn't so much of a comedy, but rather a very believable story that just happens to be funny. Channing Tatum as the oxi-cotton addicted Zip is probably the most laugh-out-loud part. Honestly, no one gave a bad performance, it's well put together and its message is important. I think seeing Vince Vaughn and Kevin James just makes you expect a goofball comedy. However, I'd much rather see something like this because it's more honest and relatable. It also doesn't hurt that it has the power of Jennifer Connelly and Winona Ryder as female leads.
Luke B

May 28, 2011
It's Vince Vaughan and Kevin James. Must be a laugh riot? No? Directed by Ron Howard, perhaps it's an interesting, if sappy, drama. Nope. It's just a movie with mixed emotions and genres. The plot sounds funny, and the cast would have you believe it would go that way. And yet, it's all played very straight. actually enjoyed it when it was being a drama. It didn't look for easy relationship fixes, and it didn't demonise anyone. James and Ryder are both portrayed as having flaws. At the same time it insists on being funny, to whichI can say, I didn't laugh out loud once. It shows the difficulties of trust and balance in a relationship, but then has a misunderstanding turn into a slapstick fight, before showing the true effects it has. We have awkward speeches that are just awkward and not funny. Perhaps this film was trying to show the serious side of how a romantic comedy may actually play out. All it did was confuse. Ryder was fantastic in her role, and Vaughan and James have the perfect on screen friendship. Not a bad watch, but not enjoyable either.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

May 7, 2011
Big letdown. It's a pretty bad movie when most of the "funny" lines go to Channing Tatum, especially so when Vince Vaughn and Kevin James are the stars. Kevin James is practically invisible as the movie progresses. Rather dark subject matter and not really a comedy. Don't really know why Ron Howard directed this.