The Goldfinch Reviews

• 5d ago

If I hadn't read the book, the way they put this together would be super confusing.

• Mar 16, 2020

Well, it's one of my favorite books of all time, so even though everyone kept telling me the movie was awful, I had to see for myself. I loved it. It's pretty faithful to the story. Some of the casting was just fantastic, especially for Boris, Hobie, Kitsey, Pippa, Luke Wilson as the perfectly horrid Larry Decker, and of course Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Barbour. It's such a great, terrific saga that I was really amazed someone could bring it to life so effectively. The soundtrack was awesome as well, particularly the use of a young Van Morrison doing "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue." I wish everyone would give it a chance!! But even if they don't, I will still love it.

• Mar 16, 2020

Great cast. The movie's timig is a flattline and waste of your time. They are jumping from one flash-back to flash-forward then which is on another flash-back.

• Mar 06, 2020

It lacked the depth of the novel, characters were shallow, lacking emotion. If they had taken fewer scenes, focused on strengthening core details of plot and character and had not tried to incorporate everything from the book, it would have been a better film.

• Mar 02, 2020

This movie started out pretty good. It has some great actors but about halfway thru I was getting bored. The story was flat and didn't really keep my attention. I didn't read the book so I may have enjoyed it more if I did

• Feb 24, 2020

I read the book before seeing the movie. I feel like my enjoyment of this movie, if I had not read the book first, would have been vastly diminished. Just because I already knew the intricacies of the characters and story, the movie made sense and was, as far as a "seeing the movie after reading the book first" experience goes, pretty enjoyable. They made great casting choices and the performances seemed powerful and on-point. Enjoyed seeing Finn Wolfhard as Young Boris and thought he did a great job in the role. I can see what the writers and directors were trying to do with the way they chose to unfold the story for film, however I think for anyone unfamiliar with the book, it left too many holes for the story to hit with the same impact. I think I would have been confused if I had seen the movie as to the story line. But again, as movies based on book adaptations go, I thought it did a decent job. This one is one of those stories that is difficult to tell in a movie timeframe.

• Feb 19, 2020

The story of twists and turns of the life of Theo after his mother's death is layed out like a mystery. The film keeps you watching untill the end.

• Feb 17, 2020

The beautiful cinematography and impressive cast are evidence that this was an expensive movie to make. It's a shame all that money went to waste on a dull, overly long drama that made absolutely no sense. The Goldfinch has no clear story and struggles with two narratives to reach an ending that was as disappointing as the entirety of its runtime. The cast put in their best efforts on characters that lack development in a film that lacks a compelling plot line. Regardless of its accuracy as an adaptation, this was not a good movie to watch and perhaps it should've stayed hidden in the pages of its book.

• Feb 10, 2020

Long, slow, sad, and out of sync. Although the acting was good the film had poor character development and a pretentious, flashback script which made it hard to get emotionally invested in the characters and tedious writing/directing. In My Humble Opinion, the movie has some good qualities but just isn't strong enough to grab your full attention.

• Feb 10, 2020

With strong acting and better than expected visuals, this had some good going for it. However, it is held back by a strange storytelling technique that hurts the flow of the story. It ends up being kind of boring.