The Great Hack Reviews

• 6d ago

Everyone needs to watch this. From the 2016 U.S. election to Brexit and more, this documentary is an essential look at how data is being privatized and weaponized.

• Feb 22, 2020

Makes you almost paranoid but with a solid reason. Everyone should be aware of the consequences of the data they share, even indirectly, on the internet. That is spooky.

• Jan 23, 2020

It's really scary stuff. The things these tech companies know about us are pretty telling. They get a detailed picture of us and our choices. And unfortunately without us even realizing it they're being used by other companies who are taking all this information and influencing our lives. And they're influencing not just our views/beliefs but also significant events that shape the world we live in. And in the struggle for the almighty dollar, these social media companies are selling this information to anyone who will pay the asking price. It's really scary stuff and nothing is being done to address the situation. It's very scary stuff.

• Jan 10, 2020

Well done. Quite a revelation!

Well done. Quite a revelation!

• Jan 01, 2020

A terrifying expose into the events of 2016 and the involvement of Cambridge Analytica in the Brexit and Presidential votes. Perhaps suffers from being released before the true conclusion of these sagas, but certainly does a great job.

• Dec 30, 2019

a good start - emotively produced with a good narrative, poetic presentation but leaves the larger questions un-speculated.

• Dec 30, 2019

This is not a movie it is a documentary and it should be called The Great Mind Hack. If you want to know why lots of countries are voting in right wing leaders, this explains it.

• Dec 27, 2019

The Great Hack had plenty of potential, it had an interesting concept and made me genuinely bothered that my personal information could be exploited. But this film really needed like a narrator or host or something, someone to explain what exactly people were saying and why it's important. Instead, we see different people reacting to videos of other people talking about stuff, like most of this documentary follows Brittany Kaiser, and I'm sorry to say this since she's a real person and not an actress, but I really couldn't make out anything she was saying because she was just kind of groaning and muttering stuff as if she had a bad hangover or something. She really should have just been interviewed by someone instead of the main focus of the film. David Carroll seemed like he was doing some interesting stuff, but again, we mostly just see him watching people give depositions and him just going like "Wow" and then tweeting. All I got from this film was that our personal information was being used to manipulate us without our consent, but I could've been told that one sentence instead of watching a whole movie about it, there really needed to be more of a reason for this film to exist.

• Dec 25, 2019

this is a "documentary" for people who just don't want to admit that Trump won the election... ads have been part of politics since before the "whistle stop" days of William Henry Harrison. Bill Clinton was not the leader in the clubhouse until many other candidates imploded. Television and soundbites have a lot more to do with elections than "Data"... this is just a whining spin of information to give a reason for why Hillary lost... instead of her just being a very unlikeable candidate. Sorry, But this "doc" is not much more than just sour grapes

• Dec 23, 2019

Jaw-dropping story. However, if you've been keeping up with the news, not much is offered by way of new information, but the access to a handful of key players keeps things interesting.