The Half of It Reviews

• 1h ago

The confusion between three of them is the most fascinating thing in this movie. Also, it truly shows the Chinese culture, which the relationship in the family and the character Ellie. Btw, Chinese culture isn't meaning the people from China, it means the East Asia culture.

• 4h ago

Poignant without being cloying.

Poignant without being cloying.

• 15h ago

Lovely characters. Simple, honest story, it has no pretensions but the message is clear and remains in my minds. Even the cliches are charming.

• 1d ago

I loved this movie so much and I hope they make a sequel out of it. If you really enjoy watching LGBTQ+ movies and you have seen "To all the boys I've loved before", you should definitely watch this one. Not only is it teen LGBTQ+ romance, but it's also a really good movie that everyone should watch when they have free time.

• 2d ago

Uncommonly sensitive and gorgeous, captures the feeling of half met longing beautifully.

• 2d ago

Honestly, it was kind of disappointing. I loved how it depicted culture clashing identities that many Asian adolescents go through and that it discussed sexual identity. I appreciated that as an Asian who grew up in a small, conservative city. But I gotta be honest- I tried to like this movie and it was very difficult to. The dialogues were super weird, the plot dragged, and though it did well in adding complexity to the main character and romantic interest, literally everyone else was depicted as dumb and shallow (like in every other teenage movie). Like, even the blonde popular girls were all ditsy and wore the same exact outfits which just isn't a thing with girls- even the popular ones that we all encountered in high school. It seems like a lot of teen movies do this thing where they paint a divide between unpopular people and popular people...which is fine and accurate to the high school experience. But they always add to it by tacking on stupidity vs smartness, shallow vs deep, and herd-like vs lone wolf. And those depictions are toxic to teenage viewers on BOTH sides of the popularity spectrum because it conveys the message that there's no complexity to people. This movie didn't seem to help with that except with the main character. Not cool.

• 2d ago

Oh Cyrano, how we adore you still.

Oh Cyrano, how we adore you still.

• 3d ago

This is such a wonderfully beautiful movie. A story about accepting others and accepting yourself that’s like no other. The acting is tremendous, just loved this movie in and out.

• 4d ago

This movie truly took everything you knew about coming-of-age rom-coms and allowed the viewers to witness a queer Asian American female lead that story. Knowing that we have seen this type of story countless times before makes this film feel like a cultural reset. Leah Lewis' portrayal of Ellie Chu was complex and heartfelt, as she assumed her starring role with such control and vulnerability. The cultural references that help identify Ellie were subtle and never forced upon, and while that may make her different in this small town (and prone to bullying), it's not what made her Ellie. The unlikely friendship between her and Paul was adorable, as it brought so much commonality and humanity between two people you probably would never have seen together in pop culture before. Alice Wu did a tremendous job on this film. I truly hope this film gets more recognition, even nominations, because it deserves it!

• 4d ago

Absolutely biased opinion: this movie touched me deep, a subversion of the classical coming of age romantic teen movie. I felt it real, maybe too real. If you are or were the geek at school, the guy who never really found himself, maybe this is the movie for you, who knows, I only know it was the one it was the one for me.