The Hallow (The Woods) Reviews

• Jul 01, 2019

It was too bland and had too many cliches for my liking.

It was too bland and had too many cliches for my liking.

• Oct 15, 2018

Good on atmosphere, but that's about it. A couple with a baby live in the deep dark woods for the purpose of working in the forest. However, the forest has a dark side. No matter how much they witness or are warned, the character of the stubborn husband never does what's right. Where this usually leads to edge of the seat scares, or pleas of "Don't go there!," the annoyance of the character simply makes you think he's too much of an idiot to have a family or any important job in science.

• Sep 03, 2018

A nice horror movie I watch to get a little spook

A nice horror movie I watch to get a little spook

• Mar 13, 2018

A very by the numbers horror. Apart from a bit of squeamish eye unpleasantness, nothing to make it stand out, very formulaic.

• Mar 06, 2018

C. Entertaining movie about mythical evil fairies in the woods. Nothing I'll be able to remember without a trailer though. Wouldn't watch again unless I completely forgot ever watching it and needed to scrape the bottom of the barrel 20 years from now for something entertaining to watch.

• Nov 26, 2017

Surprisingly frightening, tense, suspenseful, and most importantly for a horror film (in my book), the characters are believable, likable, and intelligent, even in times of desparation. This family moved into the wrong woods!

• Oct 04, 2017

director Corin Hardy works with a very low budget to deliver some really good chills to an Irish legend a traditional creature feature that blends very well with the whole family dynamic a couple with their newborn baby move into the woods for deforestation progress unaware of the ancient monsters that reside there whenever their territory is crossed these creatures are called imps or baby stealers or The Hallow; they steal the ones we love in one form or another, they are weak against the light and rusted iron the film works at creating that eerie atmosphere along with some truly terrifying monsters that hide in the shadows, sneak around each corner, and can play tricks on the human mind you are rooting for this family to make it out in one piece no sex, no gore but luckily relies more on more grown-up fears like scared parents next to keeping everyone safe what's more horrifying than losing a member of your family to something supernatural?

• Sep 30, 2017

PROS: The story does just enough to keep you interested. (Spoiler) I'll admit the part where the baby gets stolen from the cabinet gave me chills (End of Spoiler). CONS: There's nothing all that unique about the film. The monsters are kind of lame looking. The film doesn't take advantage of the Irish setting and could have done so much more with Irish folklore.

• Sep 13, 2017

I'll give the film credit for drawing inspiration from fairies and Irish folklore, however our hero kind of ruined it for me. He makes dumb decision after dumb decision. I definitely enjoyed the aesthetics of The Hallow, the inspirations were awesome, the creatures didn't look bad, and that flaming scythe rocked my world. I definitely enjoyed some aspects of The Hallow, but not nearly enough to give it a full recommendation.

• Jul 20, 2017

Well I might not be the right person to write critic on this movie because I was too distracted when I was trying to watch it therefore it didn't feel connected or even scary. In other circumstances it could be better.