The Hangover Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hangover Part III Reviews

September 24, 2013
A lazy attempt at something different from the previous films, departing so much from them in every way possible that it can't even justify being part of the same franchise - and it is odious, unoriginal and unforgivably unfunny, with each awful joke worse than the one before.
½ October 23, 2013
It's not that bad as I'd feared it to be. Sometimes, low expectations help the ratings.
April 10, 2013
An outrageously enjoyable and wickedly hilarious movie. A terrific and near perfect ending to a wild and insanely funny trilogy. It creates its own beast and dose not recycle the material like the last picture and works very well. Director, Todd Phillips comes back to the directors chair crafting another comic classic, with his script and great and gifted cast who bring in the energy and chemistry that made this series work. A hysterically funny, action-packed and epic conclusion. You will fall out of your seat laughing and enjoying yourself from start to finish. Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha and Zach Galifianakis are absolutely brilliant together, once again they shine with their excellent chemistry and shine as pure comic gold. Ken Jeong is hilarious. John Goodman is terrific. An ridiculously entertaining movie that's nothing but a good time from start to finish.
June 9, 2013
It was a good way to put this franchise to rest! I had a few laughs, but sequels are seldom as good as the original and this is one of those time the original is almost impossible to top.
!
July 6, 2013
The movie name is "The Hangover" but the problem is that there wasn't any hangover in the movie and that's what makes this one a lot less funny than the previous two.
June 12, 2013
I am surprised I am saying this, but it wasn't too bad. I normally don't care for these types of movies, but I believe it was a good ending to the trilogy. I saw the first one when it came out, never saw the second one though, so I can't compare that one. What I mainly enjoyed was Mr. Chow and Alan's characters.
½ June 8, 2013
Awful, unfunny, boring, tired, should never have been made. Number 2 was bad enough, but this is f'ing awful! The things that made the first one good and the second amusing in places are all missing. Hopefully this will be the end.
½ May 23, 2013
If you want proof that not every successful film should be churned into a trilogy as now seems the fashion, look no further. I might have enjoyed the movie more if it had been acted by the monkey from Part II as a one-man show. The monkey certainly could have pulled off better dialogue.
MANUGINO
June 7, 2013
The epic conclusion to the trilogy of mayhem and bad decisions.

Good movie! Right off the bat I noticed that the third installment of the series, though filled with awkward moments and hilarious one liners, has much more of an actual plot than the previous two seemed to have. The crew worked well together and the movie, though still fresh in my head, was very enjoyable. I wouldn't go out to say it's the best Hangover of them all, but I also wouldn't say it was the worst. It's a movie you're going to want to go see, and a movie you won't mind spending a few bucks on. I thought the near 2 hour run time felt much shorter and I thought the acting was great. Go see it with your friends and laugh a little, enjoy!

In the aftermath of the death of Alan's father, the wolfpack decide to take Alan to get treated for his mental issues. But things start to go wrong on the way to the hospital as the wolfpack is assaulted and Doug is kidnapped. Now they must find Mr. Chow again in order to surrender him to the gangster who kidnapped Doug in order to save him.
June 5, 2013
Let me start this by saying the first "Hangover" is one of the best comedies of all time. "Hangover Part 2" while a complete rehash, still has quite a few funny moments. Here in part 3, this franchise is over. This movie is more annoying that funny. Annoying because it centers on Chow(Ken Jeong) and Alan(Zach Galifianakis). Those two are both very funny in small doses, but here it's like you just wanna yell "enough!" Stu(Ed Helms) and Phil(Bradley Cooper) are like background characters, when they should be front and center. There are a couple of funny parts, and if you've seen the trailer then you saw almost all of them. A scene with Mellisa McCarthy and a scene after the credits are the best parts. But even those, don't hold a candle to anything in the first movie. By far the worst of the series, just skip this and re-watch the original. This is the type of movie that could change how much you like the original because of how far down the series has gone.
Nate Z.
½ June 3, 2013
I was no huge fan of the first Hangover movie and I cited its 2011 sequel, a carbon copy of the original, as one of the worst films of the year. The supposed final chapter ditches the blackout formula, which on its face seems like a step in the right direction, but now we have a Hangover movie with no titular hangover and at heart this is a movie for no one, even hardcore Hangover fans. I became quite cognizant how little I was laughing, not just because the jokes were badly misfiring, which they were, but also because there were so few jokes. You'd be hard-pressed to label this a comedy. It's really more of an action thriller. What humor does arise is usually mean-spirited, curdled, or just off-putting, particular the reoccurring theme of animal cruelty (maybe opening your film with a decapitated giraffe is not the best idea). The other major hurdle is that annoying supporting characters played by Ken Jeong and Zach Galifianakis are elevated to co-leads. Both of these characters are best when reacting to others rather than being the main actors in the story. This movie is so abysmal as a comedy that you start to think director Todd Phillips should try his hand at a straight action thriller; the guy has a strong eye for visual composition. The actors all look extremely bored. Could Justin Bartha, the character who always gets sidelined, just get murdered and they have to hide his body? Oh no, I think I just came up with The Hangover 4. I apologize already.

Nate's Grade: D
thmtsang
June 1, 2013
This is the last in the triology of the wolfpack gang. They return to Las Vegas where it all began. Chow has stolen 21 million dollars in gold bars and is being hunted by gangsters he stole from. The guys get caught up in Chow's mess. Good plot and cast. Funniest scene is Stu and Chow disarming the security alarm.
TomBowler
May 31, 2013
Mostly lacking laughs despite a much more involved and boldly new plot which splits strongly from the first and its carbon copy sequel. Full review later.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ September 18, 2012
The Hangover Part III is hopefully the conclusion of the trilogy. The original film was a wonderful piece of comedy that was a laugh fest from start to finish. The second film suffered from a lack of originality and tried to duplicate the original and recycled a lot of the gags. Whit this third entry, the filmmakers have changed the formula completely, yet were not able to create worthwhile material to deliver some memorable gags. I laughed twice throughout the film, and the tone of the film is lazy, with no emphasis on creating a quality film that is a worthwhile comedy. The Hangover Part III fails on all fronts and ends this lacking franchise. The first film was great, but the sequels were bad and poorly constructed that it fails in terms of comedic entertainment. With this third film, the series closes up in a poor way. I think that this is among the worst films of the year. I found this film to be tiresome and boring, and since there's a significant lack of original comedy, it feels like its dragging on. This film could have been much better and though they changed it up, which is great, there's really no substance to this film. This is yet another sequel that ends up being a total waste of time. If you hated the Hangover Part II, then don't expect anything great here, as you sadly will be disappointed. This film caps the series in such a way that leaves you wanting more. Considering the first film is such a hysterical film, they could at least have tried to create something funny. This one is just a mess from start to finish. The Hangover Part3 is a forgettable film that just isn't funny, and the humor lacks significantly.
May 25, 2013
Though this franchise has entirely lost its touch after the first film, Phillips still had a few handy tricks up his sleeve that make for an entertaining film. Not as funny and not as original, 'The Hangover Part III' stays afloat only because of the talented actors and director, even though they have no substance to help them out.
½ May 25, 2013
I don't have that many great things to say about the movie. It moves very fast, and feels borderline rushed. It was better than the second, but nowhere near the first; only glimpses of its original character. All in all, not the best movie, it could have been improved in many areas.
May 25, 2013
This is better than the second installment, but still pretty bad. There are a couple cheap chuckles, but Galifianakis is incredibly annoying, Jeong struggles to get laughs, Helms is the same and it seems like Cooper doesn't want to be there (and I don't blame him). Also, Epps is misused and Melissa McCarthy just is not a funny person. This film barely met my exceptionally low expectations.
Markus Emilio Robinson
May 24, 2013
Kudos to director Todd Phillips (who should really be directing action flicks) for not giving audiences another carbon copy storyline of the original; even though this movie is set in Las Vegas...again. In saying that, Phillips seemed to have had only one goal in mind when making "The Hangover Part 3". And that was to make something better than the insanely lazy and disgusting retread that was "The Hangover Part 2". But while this isn't as offensively gross or vulgar, it is offensively tame and dull and uneventful.
The Synopsis: Like one of those stupid Fast & Furious sequels, the gang's all back. This includes the likes of Zach Galifianakis as Alan, Ed Helms as Stu, Justin Bartha as the other guy and Bradley Cooper, as the guy who can't put these movies in his rearview fast enough. In this final installment, the guys stage an intervention for Alan because...well, maybe because it took them three movies to realize how mentally unstable he actually was. They plan a trip together in order to get Alan some treatment, but, through a series of lazily plotted events, they end up getting mixed up with Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong) again in...You know what? Instead of writing my usual long-winded review, I will mix it up a little and do something a bit unconventional. Just to preface this next statement, I usually take notes while watching a movie. But, since this was touted (from the trailers) to be the epic finale to these inexplicably beloved comedies, I decided to keep a tally of laughs instead. That is to say, instead of notes I counted all of the times "The Hangover 3" did its job and made me laugh. Here are the results of my experiment:
During this comedy, which had a runtime of 100 minutes, I laughed twice and smirked once. Review over.

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland