The Hangover Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hangover Part III Reviews

January 17, 2018
While 'The Hangover III' backs away from its typical formula, the action-packed series conclusion has enough big laughs to remain entertaining.
January 14, 2018
The Hangover Part III is a slight improvement over its predecessor but that's not really saying much. It offers a change of pace and a sense of nostalgia as we return to Las Vegas with the Wolfpack as we witness the return of Mike Epps as Black Doug and Heather Graham as Jade with the baby from the first film now four years old. I laughed a little but Hangover III isn't a comedy, it just isn't. As an action thriller it can be entertaining to watch. I think I figured out the mystery to this movie. It's actually an excuse to give Alan a girlfriend without revisiting the same formula as the first. This movie is meant to focus on Alan's character development, And since he's the center of attention, he's mostly the same idiot he was in the last two movies. Yet he's super unlikable in this movie since his ignorance comes off as more annoying than in the first two movies where he at least had some common sense. Here, he just listens to music while his father dies of a heart attack behind him. Yes, he is stupid but this is really giving off a bad impression of him. Ken Jeong and John Goodman really shine here. In fact, if Todd Phillips made a spin-off movie about Chow, I'd actually go see it. The ending makes it clear that this is the last movie in the trilogy...unless greedy executives decide to make a Hangover Part 0 focusing on Bradley Cooper's wedding since he's the only member of the Wolfpack who was already married before the first film. The Hangover Part III is an uninspired, mean-spirited, dark conclusion to the trilogy that isn't even sure if it's supposed to be comedic though it improves in some aspects compared to Part II. Maybe one day Cooper, Helms and Galifianakis will recollaborate. Probably something that is unrelated to the Hangover...until the executives make a last-minute plot twist that establishes that that particular movie takes place in the same universe as The Hangover since shared universes are all the rage nowadays.
jamrcla
½ December 15, 2017
First thing first it's a Hangover film without the Hangover, Which straight away is completely different to the first two, I must admit after reading allot of negative comments I watched it expecting the worst but i'ts not nearly as bad as you think, Ok it's more of a crime film than a comedy but there's some funny bits and allot of fun to be had, A good story to tie in with the first two and just like the first two it's Zach Galifianakis and Ken Keong that provide the laughs, Not as good as the first two but still very underrated.
October 7, 2017
I thought it was a fitting end to the trilogy.
August 20, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, I m afraid I m suffering from a hangover watching the third and final installment of The Hangover franchise.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) But just knowing it s the final installment makes the hangover a little less painful.

GREG: In The Hangover 3, our heroes Phil, Stu, and Doug (Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha) have decided that quirky Wolfpack friend Alan (Zach Galifianakis) needs to check into a rehab clinic. The four take off for Arizona but they don t get far before they are run off the road by a crew of Pig-masked ruffians who take them hostage.

SCOTT: The ruffians work for a drug lord named Marshall (John Goodman), who has been robbed of millions of dollars of gold by the master of disaster, Leslie Chow (Ken Jeong). Blaming the Wolfpack, Marshall kidnaps Doug and threatens to kill him unless the remaining three men reclaim the gold and bring him Chow.

GREG: And we re off. The original Hangover movie started out with the Wolfpack waking up from a collective hangover having lost the groom (Doug). They were then on a quest to find the him and figure out why there was a tiger, baby, and missing tooth. It was crazy, frenzied, and a lot of fun. This movie has none of that. It plods along from point A to point B with our heroes never in any real danger and never a moment of surprise.

SCOTT: As with most sequels, this film can t measure up to the surprising entertainment value of the original movie, which derived much of its fun from the fact that we had several nerdy professionals who were in way over their heads. This formula really can t be milked more than once. I do give the filmmakers some credit for transforming the main hero of the story, Alan, from a mentally deranged individual to a somewhat healed and loveable character at the end. But as you pointed out, Greg, the adventures that our heroes face are not terribly interesting and Alan s transformation rings false.

GREG: I m at a loss to find anything interesting about the characters in this movie. There is no conflict whatsoever. The three leads all get along and Phil and Stu treat Alan like a kid brother rather than the pain in the neck that he is. I don t think we ve seen as dull an ensemble since The Big Wedding. This could have been salvageable if Phil and Stu started out feeling animosity toward Alan. Then they would have someplace to go. They could find that Alan is a special person worthy of their love and affection. But I think that s what happened in the first two movies. In The Hangover 3 a lot of emphasis was placed on Alan s quirkiness - his operatic singing voice, his boylike innocence, and his affections for newcomer Melissa McCarthy.

SCOTT: Those are good suggestions, Greg, but I think the main problem is that this movie didn t know what it wanted to be. Alan is introduced to us as a goofball lunatic who decapitates animals and wishes his mother dead at his father s funeral. That suggests a dark comedic tone. But that s not what the film ultimately delivers. There are elements of comedy, drama, and romance that don t mix well together. The movie floundered and I was left not really caring how things would wrap up at the end.

GREG: This was a lackluster finale to a series that started out well but failed to deliver. It was better than some of the poorer offerings we ve seen this year, but not by much. The Hangover 3 earns 2 Reels out of 5. The buddy element of the film really didn t hold the rest of the movie together and none of the characters really grew much. I give them just 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: The Hangover 3 didn t quite plummet to the depths reached by the year s most egregious cinematic failure, The Big Wedding. But it was a disappointing and lackluster effort nonetheless. There were a few mildly amusing moments in the film that earn it 2 Reels out of 5. The heroes failed to move me on any level. Phil, Stu, and Doug were pretty much all interchangeable, and the villain Marshall woefully underutilized John Goodman s talents. I give the film some credit for attempting to transform Alan, but it was a half-hearted and unconvincing effort. So like you, I give the hero characters in this movie just 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:
August 8, 2017
Terrible sequel starring the same people and this movie doesn't deserve a full review.
½ August 1, 2017
I don't know why no one likes this, leaves the formula already seen and show us an action-comedy packed film. I loved it.
July 17, 2017
Diverging from the previous formula, this third instalment lacks clever humour and does not offer much compelling content.
½ July 5, 2017
Enough of a chance of pace to differ from the first two, it became too much of an action thriller. That's not something in Helms or Galafinakis' wheelhouse and the movie misses the mark outside of a few joks.
June 22, 2017
Very weird and out of place compared to the other two movies, but not in a good way.
June 14, 2017
JUST LIKE ROBBIE ROTTEN
½ June 8, 2017
the wolfpack is back in their final and fun adventure. despite being light on comedy this time around the hangover part 3 still delivers a satisfying conclusion to a great franchise. zach galifanakis character Allen steals every scene
he's in and is backed up my a great supporting cast. the twist in this sequal is that the wolfpack don't actually ever have a hangover, which may disappoint hardcore funs, but come on what are the odds of that happening again. in the end the hangover part three succeeded in what I did, deliver an epic ending to a great trilogy. I'm giving the hangover part 3 a 4/5
Edit:i wrote this in high school this movie is not that good lol 2in a half outta 5 stars
½ May 7, 2017
Wtf happened to this movie franchise? Awful attempt at action indtead the of a comedy.
April 17, 2017
I don't know why you all hate on this this is the best movie ever who cares about critics' opinions. 10/10
½ April 6, 2017
This third installment of The hangover series goes in a total different direction. which is good...
March 26, 2017
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
½ February 20, 2017
Grade: B. A great step up from the disappointment that was "The Hangover Part II".
½ February 18, 2017
Mean spirited and distasteful.
February 15, 2017
Very fun for mature audience
February 5, 2017
Not as good as the first two but still a good addition if your wanting a laugh. Original cast still so all good.