The Hate U Give - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hate U Give Reviews

½ May 20, 2019
Great storyline, but the dialogue is kind of cheesy, and KJ Apa's acting is atrocious.
May 17, 2019
A well-acted, timely, and important after school special, but as a movie, it shows that a righteous, woke message doesn't necessarily overcome thin characters and cliche-filled dialogue---but then again, police brutality itself follows its a predictable script.
April 29, 2019
A movie with the right message of continued injustice in America. Sadly, for my money, that message's impact diminishes as the movie goes on. The movie is never sure what it wants to be; feeling like a teen movie at the start, to the emotive drama it becomes in the middle, to the unnecessary sensationalism that it banks to at the end. All that being said, there is enough here to make it worth seeing. The tough to take realism of this drama is eased with well placed lighthearted moments, and Amandla Stenberg delivers a powerful performance as lead character, Starr Carter.
April 22, 2019
Best movie I have seen. Love the fact that Tupac's legacy and ambition is still moving us til this day.
½ April 20, 2019
An absolutely stunning performance by Amandla, a gripping watch and an emotional rollercoaster plus a true lesson in white privilege and how subtle but damaging racism can be.
½ April 18, 2019
There's a fight between hubby and wife on 'The Hate you Give'. Hubby says: There is no doubt this film brings up some tough topics, but instead of going deep into the problem the filmmaker merely scratches the surface and stays safe. I hated the ending. And why is it whenever there's a meltdown or an incident there is someone right around the corner. Scenes are too contrived for me and everything seemed like it was a made for TV after school special. Perhaps the world isn't ready for a deeper conversation. Overall I'm very disappointed.

Wife: I loved this movie. The acting was fantastic the story flowed and it brought out a myriad of emotions. It's a unique well-thought out feature that is a definite recommend.

Husband: 5.6/Wife 8.8: Average: 7.2/10
April 17, 2019
If a movie gets me to cry, then it's a great movie.

And The Hate U Give made me feel like crying all through from the start.

And this movie made me feel like crying off one death- just one! Thanks to Steilberg's strong performance, it was able to make me feel it's heart.

Should've been nominated in the Oscars instead of Black Klansman. Great, great movie.
½ April 16, 2019
Very sad and truthful
½ April 9, 2019
This is definitely the best performance of Amandla Stenberg's career so far. The film while powerful and hard-hitting wouldn't be what it is without her. She's truly a star just like her character's name. The Hate U Give is a timely drama told through a simple yet impactful story showing that the YA genre can be way more than 'chosen ones' and love triangles.
April 9, 2019
Incredibly powerful performances and script.
½ April 1, 2019
This is a tough one... I really wanted to like this movie, and while I totally support the message and intent of the film, it's just not very good. The story is about a black teenage girl named Starr who is torn between two worlds - her rich, white private school and her poor, black neighborhood - who witnesses the shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer. It's more than timely and is utterly, terribly relevant. As such, this is a film that needed to be good, and it's all the more disappointing that it isn't. I wonder if all the positive critical reviews are based more on the importance of the content rather than the quality of the film - in an effort to support the subject of the film, they have overlooked its many flaws. I think the news/opinion website The Root said it best with their article entitled "The Hate U Give isn't a very good movie and it's very hard to say that out loud". The entire movie is preachy and shamefully emotionally manipulative. The actual shooting scene is genuinely tense and emotional and smacks of realism, but everything that happens after that feels as cheeseball as an afterschool special. It's not the fault of the actors, all the performances are solid (especially Amandla Stenberg in the lead role); it's the writing. This movie was adapted from a YA novel, and you feel it every step of the way; the film reduces its charged subject matter into clumsy YA melodrama. I laughed out loud several times... and this is not the kind of movie you want your audience to laugh at. Beyond the melodrama, the movie compartmentalizes incredibly complicated issues, reducing them to basic "black vs white" and "blacklivesmatter" vs "bluelivesmatter" constructs. If only it were that simple! There is no nuance here, and the film's reliance on standard movie tropes and character stereotypes is catastrophic to the film's message. The two environments that Starr has to switch between are extreme ends of opposite poles: her neighborhood is a dingy, drug- and crime-ridden wasteland while her school is a shiny and pristine paradise. Similarly, the white kids at her school are vapid and empty-headed, completely oblivious of current social/racial issues (all while appropriating the hell out of black culture); the cops are racist bigots on power trips (even the black ones); Starr's family and friends from her neighborhood are the good-guy underdogs struggling to rise above their oppression. People just don't fall into such neat, clearly defined categories. I appreciate that this is a rare film that is told from the perspective of black protagonists - we absolutely need more of these movies, but not ones that minimize the complexity of these issues and shoehorn all their characters into unrealistic dichotomies. Most things in life are not so literally black and white, and this movie didn't have to be, either. My fear is that this film does more to divide the races than unite them. This is an important story that needed to be told, but it deserved a better workup than this.
March 27, 2019
Best Movie Ever! It was such a heartbreaking but good movi. The message in it was very important
March 25, 2019
it cool. but iCarly is better.
½ March 25, 2019
Tillman Jr. knows how to do his job in a mainstream work that is nevertheless struggling to earn. The racial problem persists and the alarm should be kept high, but there is the risk of inducing the paradoxical effect of a hyperactivation that desensitizes the attention and saturates consciences.
(Mauro Lanari)
March 24, 2019
let's be honest, the reason this movie has such high ratings is because of the theme. the theme is very important and i agree with it, that blacks get discriminated a lot when it comes to the police. however, i don't think this theme alone should carry the entire movie

the character development and acting of the movie was lacking. the plot of the movie is basically centered on this theme which is cool but it doesn't make for an all too engaging movie

if you want to be entertained, this movie may not be for you. if you want to watch a demonstration, then this is a great movie
March 22, 2019
As a white person, I understood the fear of young black men, the drugs, etc., but it took this movie for me to realize what about the black men who aren't doing anything? I understand the cop being afraid as well, but where does it stop? This was a very good movie to put the perspective from the other side to a full understanding.
½ March 19, 2019
I loved this movie. It was pretty intense. The story really moved me and I thought the actors were great.
March 17, 2019
Amazing! Gut-wrenching in its honesty; this film represents the best of its genre: good story-telling of an issue that tears at the heart, the soul and the mind of a Nation that still just doesn't 'get it'.
March 17, 2019
Great movie, unbelievable that it's not more popular than what it is.
March 11, 2019
Rue from Hunger Games (Amandla Stenberg) is one to watch for in the coming years! If you liked 13 Reasons why, this is somewhat similar.