The Hate U Give Reviews

• Mar 11, 2020

The book is so much better than the movie here. To be fair, if I get a sense for the scene and place of the book before I watch the movie it'll likely get ingrained in my head, and seeing the setting and characterizations deviate in the film put me off, but the movie is really just less good. It's not very well acted, and the book is somehow more subtle than the heavy-handed film. Typically, films have a much easier time being subtle due to their ability to depict things visually rather than speaking them, but the The Hate U Give is bereft of this advantage.

• Mar 10, 2020

The actors were all very good, but too bad they didn't have a script worthy of their talents. It was clichéd, forced, and melodramatic. Also, I'm sure that anyone black or who has black friends could tell that this was written by an over privileged, wanting-to-do-right, white person who never stepped foot in the hood in their life.

• ALMiibo
    Mar 02, 2020

Wow, this movie is very well done and the story is very sad.

Wow, this movie is very well done and the story is very sad.

• Feb 29, 2020

One of my favorite movies. Saw this with a friend and it was our movie of 2018. This film will leave you in tears and joy. 10 out of 10

• Feb 08, 2020

Incredible movie , truly powerful and capturing

Incredible movie , truly powerful and capturing

• Jan 31, 2020

This is a very powerful movie. Amandla Stenberg gives an amazing performance as Starr. It's not too preachy, but makes you think about current race relations in the US. This movie should have gotten some Oscar nominations. It's way better than Green Book and does a great job showing current race relations in the US.

• Jan 18, 2020

Incredible film. Explored a hot-button issue that is often viewed by many through a lens of separation by shattering that and personalizing it. The characters are complex and connect with the audience. Deeply heart-wrenching story which gives a window into a disturbing reality. It is emotionally devastating and hard to watch, yet necessary and very important. Could not recommend more to anyone, especially right now when this subject is at a climax in the public forum.

• Jan 18, 2020

A really powerful film that shows a lot of racial issues that I've never seen before on screen but have witnessed many times in my life. A must see for all film fans

• Jan 16, 2020

I can't believe this movie got snubbed at the Oscars. It was better than the Green Book and the Blackkklansman.

• Jan 13, 2020