The Heartbreak Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heartbreak Kid Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
This movie follows Eddie, a selfish and very pathetic character as he cycles through women and dumps them as soon as he loses interest. He begins a relationship with a woman named maranda while on his honeymoon with his new wife. He lies his way through the entire thing and somehow still gets the girl at the end when she comes to him after a failed marriage of her own. One of the last scenes is him lying once again to his current girlfriend as soon as Miranda comes back into the picture and then casually dumping her to be with Miranda who for some unfathemble reason still loves him. I had to to stop watching at this point because I found Eddie the main character to be absolutely disgusting. I don't think I've ever been so angry about how a movie turned out as I was while watching "the heartbreak kid" wouldn't recommend to any female viewer who is looking for some good laughs as I found this movie to be far more infuriating than funny. I don't know why I had such a strong negative reaction to this movie but I was seriously just so disgusted by Eddie the main character. Maybe a man would enjoy this movie but as someone who as dealt with her fairness share of scumbags this really wasn't for me.
July 20, 2017
A film about a jerk who falls for a another girl while on his honeymoon. Got married all too quickly, fell quick for the new girl, handled it badly, then stayed hung up on the new girl just long enough to still get married for a year by the time his second chance came around with the girl he originally fell for. Comedic as Ben Stills often can be, but also more adult as Stills usually is. Did not care for the sex scenes.
½ July 10, 2017
Bueno no se puede esperar màs de sus directores, igual tiene momentos divertidos.
½ July 9, 2017
Awful. The only monster in this film is Stiller's Character.
July 6, 2017
very funny and smart
June 18, 2017
Quando a abominação conhecida como The Heartbreak Kid deu seu ultimo suspiro e finalmente os créditos apareceram, me dei conta de que as duas horas que se passaram foram perdidas. Logo percebi que esse desastre cinematográfico era uma tentativa desesperada dos irmãos Farrelly para recuperar a credibilidade atrevida de There's Something About Mary de 1998.
May 27, 2017
i hope this movie is as funny as it looks!
May 27, 2017
Look, first things first. I remember seeing parts of this movie one time on CABLE television. Not paid cable like HBO, Showtime or Starz. I mean like TBS, TNT or USA-type cable tv. Like how does this movie air over regular cable? Not that I give a rat's ass whether it does or not. What I mean by that is the fact that this is very raunchy R-rated comedy. On cable TV, they have to cut out all the juicy, R-rated bits because the FCC would probably bust their ass or something. That means no cursing, no sex, no nudity and no pissing on someone's back and no pubic hairs. If you guessed that this film has all five of those, then you would be correct. The film's entire essence would be completely negated by having it air in an extremely edited format (for both content and time, since the film runs almost two hours). Not that I think the film is much better as it is honestly. I don't know where to begin. I've enjoyed my fair share of raunchy comedies throughout the years. But I've always subscribed to, what might be to some, a very limited idea of what I like this genre to be. I like raunchy comedies when they're well-written and cast with talented actors. But another thing I like is for the film to actually have characters. Say what you will about 21 Jump Street (and its sequels) but the leads are two very distinct people and there's actually some character progression in both of those films. It's not like it's super serious or complex, but they make the effort to make sure that the characters show growth as the film moves along. When you have a movie that relies just on the raunch, with nothing else, that's when I have problems. And it wouldn't be such a big problem is the raunchy comedy was at least funny, which it isn't. That's actually wrong, there's some scenes here and there that made me laugh, but the rest just ends up feeling like a repeat of everything that the Farrelly brother had done prior to this point. I will say that the movie is fairly decent for its first stretch, like with Edward and Lila meeting and their relationship. I like this concept, while not unique, of Edward marrying this woman, to keep her from leaving for a job that'll take her away from home for 2 years, coming to the realization that she is a pretty damn annoying person to be around with. Again, not unique, but I like it. And there's some good scenes with Lila tormenting Edward during their honeymoon. But the problem comes in the fact that, to me, there's not enough of these scenes of Lila tormenting Edward. Lila spends about 75% of the movie cooped up in her hotel room. Edward is out and about socializing with this woman (whom he really has a connection with) and her family. This made it a little difficult for me to buy the whole 'I can't be married to this woman, we're so incompatible' angle. They're certainly incompatible, but they're not incomparable to the point where it's completely irreparable. And that's what would have made the budding romance between Edward and Miranda a little more believable. Ben Stiller and Michelle Monaghan have great chemistry together, they were completely natural with one another, which is why I can buy into them as a couple, it was nothing to do with the actual scripting of Ed's and Lila's relationship. Maybe my tolerance level is too high, but Lila wasn't as annoying as, say, Rob Schneider is in every movie he appears. Though those are two very different styles of annoying. I hate Rob and I wish he'd go away and never appeared in a movie ever again. He can still work behind the camera, just not in front of it. He's awful and I want to punch him in the dick. Hell, I know how Edward's annoyance at Lila would be more realistic, cast Rob Schneider as Lila instead of Malin Akerman. Do this and Lila would be a more despised villain than Hannibal Lecter. Moving on though, the casting is strong. There's a lot of really talented comedic actors in this movie and they do give it their best shot. But I just don't think the film is built for the long haul. And that's another thing, there's no way this movie should have gone close to two hours. It just doesn't have enough interesting comedic ideas to sustain itself for that long. They needed to keep this short and sweet, like 90-95 minutes tops. I'm certain they could have sped up the introductory period a little bit. And there's some other pieces that you can trim from here and there, so it's not possible. If this film was shorter, the rating would be slightly higher (I wouldn't go past 2.5 stars). This is certainly watchable, I got through it just fine. I wasn't pulling my hair out in anger or anything, but it's not effective as either a rom-com or a raunch-com. A good cast can't make up for the deficiencies evident in the script. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's only a slightly below average movie. I've seen worse. Movies come and go and this will be one of that that I forget about a week from now.
½ May 1, 2017
An amusing Farrelly brothers comedy that is very fitting for Ben Stiller's talents. It seems to be a bit underrated, although some of the raunchy humor could have certainly been left out. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
April 25, 2017
Overall funny movie to lay back and watch if you're in for a laugh.
January 18, 2017
I thought this was a funny and enjoyable story despite the ratings. Nice ending
January 14, 2017
A big fucking waste of time
½ January 11, 2017
This was physically painful to watch.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 29, 2016
'Oh Grouchy Marx, calm down.'
November 23, 2016
Definitely more hits than misses, there's some great humor early on but it falls apart entirely by the third act like most modern comedies.
½ November 18, 2016
I really don't get all the hate for this movie. I thought it was pretty damn funny
September 11, 2016
Has some funny moments. Stiller is great as usual.
August 7, 2016
somewhat funny, kind of annoying. The misunderstandings are less funny than than they are frustrating