The Hippopotamus Reviews

• Oct 13, 2020

This movie must have took a life time to write . A lot of it went over my head but that was clearly the intent . The dialogue I was able to catch onto was enjoyable though . 2.4

• Sep 24, 2020

How the hell can someone get away with making a movie like this??? It depicts rape! The boy rapes two women and this movie makes no apology for it, instead trying to make the audience sympathise with the messed up boy! It is so worrying that people can watch this and not realise that this depicts rape and only shows sex scenes with women (what about the gay sex scene, not enough appeal?). This movie makes objects of women. It brushes over the fact that this boy has just legally raped two women and doesn't even take any time to go back to them and see how it's effected them... the next scene just shows the girl smiling? WHAT THE HELL? Which young girl would just smile after they've been deceived, humiliated and used like some sex object?! This ruins peoples' lives and this is entertainment? Stephen Fry should be completely ashamed, as should every person that thinks this movie is acceptable.

• Nov 09, 2019

Between 3 and 3.5 stars. Funny (in a very British style) and also clarifier.

Between 3 and 3.5 stars. Funny (in a very British style) and also clarifier.

• Jul 03, 2019

Engaging, delightful, funny, surprising!

Engaging, delightful, funny, surprising!

• Oct 27, 2018

Terribly boring with the most unlikable protagonist I've ever seen. The entirety of this dull, tedious comedy is lacking in humor and full of crude, obnoxious voiceover. The plot itself is stupid and I hated every minute of it.

• Apr 10, 2018

It was an interesting little flick. I enjoyed watching even though I didn't understand every word. The plot was amusing so was the acting and conversations but they happen to be silly in the end.

• Feb 23, 2018

Smart film with some real philosophical truths.. "sex is the meaning of life", "destination: fucking nowhere"

• Jan 28, 2018

Sardonic take on a poet - Allam - being dispatched to an English country house where miracles are purported to be taking place. Witty, cerebral and, at time, laugh out loud funny. May be a bit too cutting for some, but if this type of Brit humor is your cup of tea, Allam is in top form and ably supported by a stellar cast.

• Oct 22, 2017

I can't stop thinking about how awful this movie was. The main character is a horrible misogynist and there are TWO sexual assaults that happen in this movie that are completely glossed over with a "boys will be boys" attitude. I'm surprised this was never addressed at ALL in the movie.

• Oct 09, 2017

Roger Allam is outstanding.

Roger Allam is outstanding.