The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Comparatively rating to other YA dystopian dramas such as the Maze Runner and Insurgent series - better than average.
½ October 11, 2016
Amazing movie based on a book

Finally no more twilight crap!
October 8, 2016
A bit corny at the very end and the whole computer generated dog creature thing but generally a well made original story. Exciting and entertaining throughout.
½ October 7, 2016
It's basically a ripoff of Battle Royale, but still reasonably entertaining
October 5, 2016
Dramatic, fun, and very well performed. The Hunger Games is a very faithful adaptation to the novel, while also not straying away too much from it.
October 1, 2016
Welcome, welcome, to the first of four movies based on three novels: The Hunger Games. We open with an excerpt from the Treaty of Treason, which essentially says "you misbehaved, now you and your descendants will suffer at the hands of us and our descendants." We then go to the start of an upbeat TV program in the Capitol where Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci) is interviewing head gamemaker Seneca Crane (Wes Bentley) about that year's Hunger Games. Cut to District 12, and we meet Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) comforting her younger sister Primrose (Willow Shields) after a nightmare of being reaped wakes her up (spoiler alert for her: it comes true, in a way). After calming her down and getting her to go back to sleep, Katniss goes out hunting in the woods, where she meets up with her hunting partner Gale (Liam Hemsworth) to exchange reaping day gifts, followed by the reaping itself. Prim's nightmare comes true when Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks) pulls her name out, but unlike how I can assume the nightmare went, Katniss volunteers as tribute. After Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) is reaped, Katniss says good-bye, and they begin their journey to the Capitol; with the help of drunken mentor Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) and modest Capitol stylist Cinna (Lenny Kravitz), Katniss boldly goes where a girl in her age group is sent every year: The Hunger Games, which take a whole 66 minutes to start, making for what may be the longest lead-up to a titular event yet. Katniss is well-developed as a character from the loving sister of Prim to the hunting partner/friend of Gale, and the sweet-for-the-camera-before-the-games-and-determined-in-the-games tribute. Katniss may be the main focus, but all the other characters I mention have pertinent moments, even those she briefly interacts with like President Snow (Donald Sutherland) have interesting moments here and there, with or without her. While the characters are great, another problem right up there with the pacing is the shakiness of the camera. Gary Ross-vision: because it's too hard to hold a camera steady during simple dialogue scenes that don't call for it. Otherwise, the CGI is forgivably noticeably in brief doses, James Newton Howard's soundtrack (when used) conveys both the grandeur of the Capitol, the hardship of life in District 12, the emotion between some characters, and the everything else a soundtrack does. The Hunger Games may be a grim event, but there's enough comic relief to remind you "these characters are human" and keep you from thinking way too hard about the social messages in here. Interpret them how you like, so all I can say now is this: may the odds be ever in your viewing favor!
From the book series by Suzzane Collins that started with The Hunger Games, comes a film adaptation for people who prefer someone tells the story to them instead of reading it themselves. The characters Suzanne Collins come to life played by young heart throbs, children, and adults. Jennifer Lawrence does a wonderful job as Katniss Everdeene, from the very start, she is the girl on fire (and from the seam). The plot brings her, fellow tribute Peeta Mellarch, and 22 other young men and women into a deadly fight to the death tournament in its 74th year to remind the districts of their weaknesses. It is very much the book brought to film, except for a few waivable details, and some pretty important parts from the book. Hey, I try not to discredit based on source material, but excuse me if I actually listened to the audiobook before seeing this movie, before even knowing it would be a movie, and formulating my own ideas while listining for the first time. The visual quality is great, but I must point this out: Overly shaky camera. True, they use it to censor the child-on-child violence, but come on, do you really need to jerk the camera on a close-up? Really? I will say this though: James Newton Howard provides an excellent soundtrack (when there is one, considering the art-house feel I'd guess this movie has). The dialogue at times, actually comes directly from the book at times, while some was placed in there for good reasons. Overall, The Hunger Games provides a well-written, well thought out, dramatic experience that will leave you begging for more.
As a fan of The Hunger Games, I think that this is not anything like the book in some parts. They did not show many flashbacks, or give much of the backround story like the book did. I personally would want to have seen full scenes for the bread, as well as what happened shortly after the death of Katness' father, and how she came to hunt. I also think that the picture was brilliant. The CGI effects, from the room where game makers made the games happen, to the mutts, though I was pissed that they did not show their eyes, since the eyes were supposed to look like the dead tributes. Overall, this was an excellent movie, and a decent adaptation, though some things could be improved.
September 27, 2016
This film captures the tone of the book perfectly. Not great or innovative by any means, but still better than Insurgent.
½ September 10, 2016
I'd rather be in the Hunger Games than watch this one again. No thanks!
September 8, 2016
I found this movie to be a very captivating experience, with it's great characters and unrelenting action. The story was very well thought out and executed, yet it can still be said that it did skip some essential dialogue. All in all it was a very good movie.
½ September 8, 2016
Amazing film! Effects are awesome! Story is tremendous! Must see for all. Great all round film, intense and gripping.
September 2, 2016
want to see soooooo bad
August 30, 2016
Superbly acted and impressively mirroring the intense and gritty atmosphere of it's source, The Hunger Games is a stellar dystopian spectacle.
August 28, 2016
It fails to deliver the emotional experience of the book and for some reason the director felt shaking the camera around the whole movie was a good idea... it was not a good idea. The story itself is interesting enough to get you past the movie's flaws though.
August 17, 2016
Overall, it's a very well made film technically with beautiful design, but the script is superficial and implausible, disregarding the most assiduous fans of the book. Who loved the book will hardly judge the film with more than a "good".
Translated by Google Translate.
August 16, 2016
I love it I still watch it. I can even do the mocking jay whistle. Very action packed. Some scary scenes and gory scenes. But other than that great movie. Awesome movie.
August 15, 2016
grrrr another lost review
August 14, 2016
The Hunger Games, based off the book of the same name, does justice to it's source material very well.

The acting from Jennifer Lawrence is brilliant and she shines as Katniss Everdeen.Lawerance shows emotion and delivers powerful reactions to events in the movie makes the character feel believable. The rest of the cast feel a bit out of place whenever Lawerance is on the screen with them as she's just that good but Josh Hutcherson does turn in a well done performance as Peter Mallark. Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks do also provide well done performances but the actors aren't given enough to work with. There are some good performances from supporting actors, Rue in particular, but they aren't used very much.

The Second half of the film is where this adaptation shines. It delivers the brutal violence and exciting moments that make this movie very exciting to watch. It also reflects this violence very well into a thought provoking context as well. The CGI is very well done as well though it admittedly does have a larger scope than is necessary at times.

The final 15 minutes are disappointing though as they quickly rush through all the plot points to tie everything up but this ruins 2 moments that should have had more time to be developed.

The first half, while well done and well acted, suffers from a lack of development for the characters,which is a missed opportunity. It is also full of meaningless conversations that do nothing to move the movie on. They are a nice addition and are nice to watch but they are meaningless to the movie and waste time that could be used to expand on more emotional or exciting moments.

The shaky camera is a very annoying part of the movie, especially in the second half, and it ends up taking away from the overall experience. It's at it's worst when the set pieces are happening which is very distracting and off putting.

The Hunger Games suffers from poor character development, a shaky camera and a mediocre first half but shines with a brilliant second half and fantastic performances.
August 9, 2016
honestly one of the best movies ever made. jennifer lawrence is such a talented actor. Tarkovsky has nothing on this masterpiece!
August 8, 2016
The nice thing about the Japanese film, Battle Royale (2000), is that it was not hung up on gender. I didn't care whether or not the children were boys or girls. All I cared about was that they were children, which is why I felt for them. The Hunger Games is often called a rip-off of Battle Royale, but it has an unfortunate but predictable difference. Like a typical film by Western culture, it is hung up on gender, throws Western society values on gender into the Battle Royale concept, and also throws in a teen romance. In the Hunger Games, we don't care that they are children; we just care about their gender. This completely screws up the entire concept of Battle Royale, and made me not care much about these characters.