The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

January 15, 2018
The spectacular story of 16 year old Katniss Everdeen who volunteers to save her sister from the annual hunger games. Love it!
January 14, 2018
an intense, brutal, emotional, and well acted movie that shows just how brutal an anarchic society can become
½ January 7, 2018
Character development is okay, world building is great, and the plot is excellent! CGI is subpar, acting performances are bad, and Katniss and Peeta chemistry is the worst. Overall intriguing world and interesting storyline with weird ass casting choices, pretty much.
January 6, 2018
Amazing ????Very sad ?? rip primrose ??
January 5, 2018
This movie was GREAT. I loved The Hunger Games! It is a story filled with great likeable characters and thrilling action sequences. What I love about both the novel and the film was its relentless pace. Once the hunger games begin Katniss is never safe. The Sense of peril that I experienced while reading the novel is captured beautifully in this adaptation. I loved the action scenes and the way that they were filmed. They may have overused the shaky cam but for the most part it did a great job of making the scenes very dramatic and chaotic. More violence is needed for the Catching Fire movie in my opinion but I wasn't letdown by anything in this film. I love the performances from all the actors. Jennifer Lawrence steals the show and is perfectly cast as Katniss Everdeen. She plays the role with an extraordinary amount of care and attention. She portrays the courage and strength very well of the character while still be an immensly likeable and relatable character. I also loved Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale but none of them can compare to the awesome badass that is Katniss! I can't wait until Catching Fire comes out which in my opinion is an even better book than the original.
½ December 21, 2017
a good film that is both emotional and entertaining
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Una dirección muy floja para la realización de los juegos del hambre, ligeramente perturbadora, y no es algo por lo que pagaría una entrada al cine.
½ December 14, 2017
Thrilling! #Awesome!
½ December 10, 2017
I love this movie so much, bro. I need to read the book..
November 20, 2017
Love the whole series. Great special effects.
November 16, 2017
I dont see what the fuss was about.
November 15, 2017
Emocionante, te mantiene pegado al asiento. Buenos personajes y gran demostración de un gobierno opresor; el cual actualmente los jóvenes deben identificar y opinar sobre él.
½ November 3, 2017
I enjoyed this movie!!! Very true to the book, yet did not linger, which helped to keep the movie and story moving. This is a great beginning to the dark path that this young lady(Katniss) has to take. War is not pretty. Who has to die for someone to say that is enough. This story is more than a game show that only one survives and the others just go home. Real war, not often do you get to go home. Excellent performances, especially by Jennifer Lawrence. I have a feeling most people will need to see this movie again, to notice different story lines that will come up in later films. Well done with the story of Rue. To me it was very impactful in the book and also in the movie.Donald Sutherland, Lenny Kravitz, and Woody Harrelson Brought their characters to life. Josh did a great job as Peeta. It should be interesting to see in what direction they take the next two books.
October 15, 2017
Hunger Games is a post-apocalyptic dystopian science fiction action adventure film. Never been a fan of the genre but being a super popular movie decided to give it a go. Having already read the book it's based on I can say it has been faithful to the sources material, but I was never a fan of the book. Still a decent watch, it has an interesting plot although not original and very comic teenage type. It's a survival contest among a group of teenagers, fighting to the death and the last one gets to go free. The performance by the cast is good but what really gets the movie going is the fast-paced action and good production values.
October 1, 2017
Great adaption of a great book.
September 29, 2017
Good film with solid performances and great camera work.
September 18, 2017
The Hunger Games, is a intense start to the next big young adult franchise. The Plot to "The Hunger Games" is Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

"The Hunger Games" is directed pretty well by "Gary Ross" also written by him and is spectacularly acted by "Jennifer Lawrence" and "Josh Hutcherson". The special effects in this film are a bit dated for 2012 but still acceptable and the score have a few stand out moments. Characters are probably the most important part in story's and my god did they hit the nail right on the head with "Jennifer Lawrence's" character Katniss Everdeen. The film also stayed quite close to the book but with a few unnecessary changes to it. Overall the first instalment to "The Hunger Games" franchise started off spectacularly with awesome acting, great characters and a suspenseful plot. I give 2012's "The Hunger Games" a 10/10.
½ September 4, 2017
Good start for the franchise.
½ August 23, 2017
An awkward blunder of character dynamics with a myriad of unrealistic plot elements---the disposition of the "elite" is at times aberrant and is inconsistent with the whole setup of the plot. Either way, I would at the very least commend the creative vision of Suzanne Collins.
½ August 15, 2017
I haven't read the book so I can't compare to that. It's a well made film with a big production and talented cast. Tiny bit surprised at being a 12a rating, it's basically teenagers fighting to the death by killing each other off! Also a theme similar to many films, Running Man, Battle Royal, The Condemned. So not that original but decent enough to check it out.