The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

½ July 18, 2016
The story is very enjoyable. It makes me feel like Katniss is the true hero. Scenes are interesting, but for the first part the camera motion make me sick
½ July 17, 2016
This film was like a big-budget version of the low-budget science fiction movies from the 70s that I watched growing up. I appreciated the gritty premise. But, I wish the plot wouldn't have jumped through so many hoops to protect the protagonist from having to make any meaningful choices.
½ July 10, 2016
There are too many moments in this movie where I want to scream at the main characters for this to be any good. Jennifer Lawrence does a surprisingly bad job here. If I hadn't seen any other franchise with her in it I would have assumed she was an overhyped trash bag. Josh Hutcherson does a very good job here but it doesn't redeem the movie's faults. While this movie opens well, everything after that crashes into mediocrity.
July 5, 2016
Good but to much shakey cam
July 5, 2016
very good loved it want to see it again
Not as good as book.
½ June 30, 2016
Although not nearly as strong as its novel, "The Hunger Games" is another solid YA adaptation.

In the city of Panem lies 12 standing districts. Years ago, these districts rebelled against the nation's capital and when "peace" finally ensued, a protocol was placed to remind people where they belong. Thus, The Hunger Games was born. Each year, each district must send one young girl and boy to fight to the death with 22 other tributes. Except, this year, when Katniss Everdeen volunteers in place of her younger sister, it will lead to a major change of events that few can foresee.

This is one of the rare cases where I actually read the novel before I watched the film and in this case, the movie was no where as good as its publication. It's disappointing in the aspect that it's just no where as good as its source material, but as a stand alone movie, it's a solid film. It's not a great film, but a solid film.

The thing I like most about this movie is the dystopian setting and the overall plot. It's a complicated and darker plot at its core, but it can also be viewed as a mindless, entertaining plot for those seeking mindless violence. However, having viewed this movie on multiple occasions, I'm still able to garner the sense of desperation and darkness in this film, which is definitely a big plus. They do a great job of creating this ugly world where this horrible event actually takes place and I love the overall atmosphere that this movie thrusts you into.

Although I'm not floored by Jennifer Lawrence like the rest of the world is, I still think she's a great actress. She has so many different franchises under her name and she's been a big part of so many great films. She really did a great job solidifying her name as the face of the series through her performance. I think she's the perfect actress for the character. I've also always liked Josh Hutcherson, as I still feel like he's an up and coming actor. I feel like in today's world, he's a very underrated actor who also brought out the likable personality of his character. Woody Harrelson also played his part real nicely and for the most part, the cast was fine. There were some iffy spots when it came to certain tributes in the games, but other than that, the performances are all around solid.

One thing I didn't really like was the camera work and the pacing of this film. They often resorted to shaky cam, especially in actions scenes, and it became overused and nauseous rather than stylistic. It might've been a way to desensitize the violence, but it was more ugly than pretty. The pacing also felt really choppy too. I guess this is coming from someone who enjoyed the book a lot but either way, it was clear how much content they left out, leaving the events to feel unevenly paced. It never felt like their was a flow from scene to scene and it made everything feel out of place. It just doesn't feel like this movie had enough depth. For example, (spoilers) the finale involving the dogs had a much darker twist on it in the book, but here, it was just boring CGI meant to spook our characters.

Although there were some attempts to make this more age appropriate, I still like that this adaptation wasn't too afraid to explore bigger pictures and darker moments. There was a scene that I absolutely loved in the film (involving District 11, no spoilers) and it was moments like those that signified how big this picture actually is. Although kids might not understand some of the deeper messages here, it really helps this movie shine and stand out amongst other YA adaptation films.

In the end, I definitely didn't love this movie, but I still enjoyed it. It's definitely not on par with the novel but as a film, it does a good job of relaying a dark story with some great performances.
June 29, 2016
Ridiculous, teen-angst film has children arena-fighting for "reasons".
June 25, 2016
24 tributes, 1 boy and 1 girl from each district ... fight to the death
½ June 20, 2016
I avoided this film because of the popularity It was having and I saw it, later on. And It was better than I though. This movie talk about some really dark things, it's raw and violent but it really make you feel how wrong this world is. Although I feel the PG-13 really tone down the story they should be telling, on itself the movie works.
June 19, 2016
The Hunger Games is a action packed movie,with interesting plot,great actors and spectacular film structure,the movie is a film modern day classical film that lives up to the higher level its characters and action
½ June 18, 2016
The Hunger Games is a great movie with a solid performances of the characters, great script, and also a start line for the next installments, though it has a thrilling sequences that is not good for a children.
June 15, 2016
I just love dystopics universes
June 12, 2016
Ignoring the massively ridiculous problem of merging a teen-fantasy romance with a much darker social commentary about kids being asked to murder one another, there are so many other plot holes and devices (ie. sparing someones life in a game where only one can survive, animals materializing out of thin air, ignoring the basic physics of how fire works or the flip-flopping rule changes mid game) that render this a complete dud for me. The only high point is the quality of the performances.
Resonant Line: "Katniss Everdeen: Thank you for your consideration."
June 6, 2016
The best part of watching this god-awful movie was walking out of the theater after the end credits showed up in this 142 minute movie that felt like an eternity! F
June 5, 2016
thrilling and compelling- this film is flawless with awesome action and superb acting.
½ June 5, 2016
Has strong characters with a solid plot. The shaky cam really bothered me. Overall I would give the hunger games a B
June 2, 2016
The Hunger Games, although I didn't see this in the cinemas, I saw it as soon as it came out on DVD. It just amazed me. Like I'm gobsmacked about how good The Hunger Games was. It definitely proved it self as the new thing and Gary Ross directed it awesomely, although not as close to the book as I expected. Jennifer Lawrence is crazy good as well as Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. Rue's death scene was so powerful and the highlight of the movie. The only thing I could say bad about this movie is the shaky cam, like holy crap you could barley see what was happening sometimes. I give The Hunger Games a 8.5/10.
½ May 30, 2016
90% The Hunger Games captures the thrills and ambitious scope of the novel it adapts with spectacular performances, an emotionally dramatic mood, and book-worthy dialogue.
May 27, 2016
Great movie!!! It was even better than I thought it would be. I knew it was an awesome book, but I wasn't sure they could bring it to life as well as they did. And they did!!! They did an awesome job adapting it to film. It felt real and raw. They added scenes into the movie that weren't in the book, but I think they really worked. The book is written from Katniss' prospective, but they added in scenes outside of her perspective, showing how the games were controlled by the game makers and the behind the scenes politics between Seneca and President Snow. Like I said the movie was raw at parts, but it also had really sleek and shiney parts that worked in great contrast. There are the realities of life in the districts, the sparkle of the Capital and the darkness of the games. All of these pieces fit together really nicely. They really pulled this off and set up a really great new franchise nicely. It's already breaking all sorts of records. I can't wait till part 2, Catching Fire, which is an even better book than the first. This is just what I needed after Harry Potter ended. A new series to be obsessed with!!! : )