The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

September 18, 2017
The Hunger Games, is a intense start to the next big young adult franchise. The Plot to "The Hunger Games" is Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

"The Hunger Games" is directed pretty well by "Gary Ross" also written by him and is spectacularly acted by "Jennifer Lawrence" and "Josh Hutcherson". The special effects in this film are a bit dated for 2012 but still acceptable and the score have a few stand out moments. Characters are probably the most important part in story's and my god did they hit the nail right on the head with "Jennifer Lawrence's" character Katniss Everdeen. The film also stayed quite close to the book but with a few unnecessary changes to it. Overall the first instalment to "The Hunger Games" franchise started off spectacularly with awesome acting, great characters and a suspenseful plot. I give 2012's "The Hunger Games" a 10/10.
½ September 4, 2017
Good start for the franchise.
½ August 23, 2017
An awkward blunder of character dynamics with a myriad of unrealistic plot elements---the disposition of the "elite" is at times aberrant and is inconsistent with the whole setup of the plot. Either way, I would at the very least commend the creative vision of Suzanne Collins.
½ August 15, 2017
I haven't read the book so I can't compare to that. It's a well made film with a big production and talented cast. Tiny bit surprised at being a 12a rating, it's basically teenagers fighting to the death by killing each other off! Also a theme similar to many films, Running Man, Battle Royal, The Condemned. So not that original but decent enough to check it out.
August 13, 2017
I don't remember a lot of the book but from what I remember this movie is a good rendition. The acting and cinematography are both good. I cried a couple of times. My only complaint is that they speed through a lot of the story so some sections feel cut off.
August 8, 2017
I did not know much about this series when I first saw this movie but i quite enjoyed it. The acting was good for the most part although josh hutcherson was not that great but got better in the other films. the story was good and interesting.

8.2/10
August 6, 2017
I enjoyed this film. Didn't know what to expect and started it knowing only the basic premis.
I like the idea, so credit to the novel (although its not new.. see Battle Royale). Well translated to screen it seems and had me engrossed all the way through. Some great bit parts from good actors...gotta love Stanley Tucci camping it up. Jennifer Lawrence is perfectly cast as Katniss - not cold, but not warm either. She has, as Empire Mag put it...'a steely determination to do whats right'. Looking forward to the next installments...
July 30, 2017
Don't you wish you could've told her to eat the berries, now these teen novels turned movies are going to be everywhere. Great.
July 17, 2017
Probably...no...this IS the most satisfying commercial movie experience I've had since "The Dark Knight". Filled with suspense and REAL stakes, more than competent directing from Gary Ross and a great lead performance from Jennifer Lawrence, "The Hunger Games" is a MUST SEE. Can't wait for part II!!!
July 16, 2017
I loved this film, it is just a good as the book, although I would recommend reading the book before hand because I found that it made it more enjoyable. I would definitely watch this film again, one of my favourite films of all time!
½ July 15, 2017
Good dystopian nonsense. Sure I would have given it 9/10 thirty years ago, but then I grew up...
½ June 25, 2017
La considero una muy fiel adaptación al libro! Excelente!
June 24, 2017
Jennifer Lawrence is the best thing about this movie. The rest of the flick is really good but it's here portrayal of Katniss that sends it over the top. A good beginning to the series...
June 16, 2017
This surprisingly engaging YA novel has more than spectacle as it tries to raise awareness about social classes and the price some have to pay in a society ruled by barbaric and abusive entertainment.
June 11, 2017
Yes! A new saga that I wanna get invested in.
½ June 7, 2017
A normal girl called Katniss Everdeen saves her sister from being recruited to take part in the Hunger Games, by presenting herself as a volunteer. When she arrived the battle field she fought well.
The special effects were fantastic and the actors did very well and the recording team too.
May 31, 2017
'THE HUNGER GAMES' was directed by Gary Ross and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. ?Due to an uprising nearly 75 years ago, an annual tournament called 'The Hunger Games' is held once a year in the not to distance future. Each one of the 12 districts that rebelled against the capital must nominate one male tribute and one female tribute to compete in a battle to the death. On the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen(Jennifer Lawrence)'s sister(Willow Shields)'s name is pulled out of the reaping glass. To stop this, Katniss volunteers in her place and must fight against the other 23 tributes to get back home.

I think this movie was made primarily for the fans of the series(like me) and not for newcomers. I recommend you watch this movie but I recommend you read the books first. If you hate reading, I cannot blame you but screw you. This movie is fine but the book is far superior. Nothing in this movie is particularly impressive but everything leans more on the positive side. It's a mildly entertaining movie that I probably only like because I really like the books. I'll say you can watch this movie and get entertainment out of it but you don't NEED to.

If you'd rather watch the movies before you read the books, I don't envy you but I can understand were you're coming from. If you watch the film first, you will probably be a little bit confused because they don't explain things the best and leave a few things out but I imagine you'll be able to understand eventually. The story is completely fine and passable but it is kept afloat by it's awesome premise. Again, the story is better done in the books but I can understand you not reading the books because you shouldn't have to. Thus, I will not say that I have issues with the story(because I get it) but I can understand non-fans not enjoying it.

Jennifer Lawrence is more wooden than a tree in this movie but I can understand that she was perfect for the role because the character being pretty wooden as well. To be fair to Lawrence, she does express genuine seeming emotion at points in the movie and I can't say she's terrible as Katniss but I think some more emoting would have helped. John Hutcherson displayed worse acting in this movie than Mel Gibson did in his Anti-Semetism apology. I hated him in this movie and I can't really explain why. I just don't like him. I like the character of Peeta, but not Hutcherson's performance. Woody Harrelson's performance as Haymitch Abernathy was the best part of the movie. He was great and I just wish he was in the book longer. Elizabeth Banks was off the wall as Effie Trinket which isn't surprising considering she supported Clinton(points! and I can say that because I'm not American). The remaining performances were mediocre(Liam Hemsworth) to barbaric(Lenny Kravitz) with some impressive exceptions(Stanley Tucci).

A lot of hate was thrown Ross' way for the cinematography for this movie and while I understand the need for tripods, I feel that the style he was going for was the documentary style which fits more in line with the first person perspective of the books. That's probably just my opinion and I completely understand why someone would hate it but I personally didn't mind it. This movie was released in 2012 but the effects were finished in 1875, or whenever George Lucas began his CGI fetish. The effects in this movie are barbaric and it's disgusting they were even allowed. The set design is also extremely bland and generic in this movie. I wanted to feel the awe and wonder Katniss felt when she first visited the capitol but instead I was vastly let down.

The action in this movie is okay but could have been much better. The world building is fine but was done much better in the books. This movie is a perfectly disposable dystopian action/romance movie which I can recommend you watch but it's not something you NEED to watch. I'll rate it 6 out of 10 PEETAS!!!
½ May 31, 2017
This adaption excellently translates Suzanne Collin's work to the big screen largely because of Jennifer Lawrence's magnetic performance. It's still a YA dystopian story though, so it carries it's many genre-necessary flaws with it.
May 23, 2017
Great rendition of the book.
May 9, 2017
Good acting but SHAKY CAM!