The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

½ April 19, 2018
over-hyped and nothing much special aside from lawrence's performance. takes too long to get to the actual games and is full of plotholes. the game itself is not as interesting as i thought it would be. the shaky-cam is a cheap way of immersing yourself in the movie and it doesn't work. the supporting casts' acting is mediocre and it's an incredibly flawed and not-very-well-thought-out view of the future. not nearly as smart as it thinks it is.
the directing is average.
½ April 17, 2018
Hunger games came out 2012; it was directed by Gary Ross and based on the Hunger games by Suzanne collins. This science-fiction, fantasy, drama and action film stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne and Woody Harreleson as Haymitch Abernathy.
The film tells a story of a girl, Katniss Everdeen, who has to survive in the Hunger games. In a dystopian post-apocalyptic future, in Panem, the capitol decided, because of a past rebellion, that the 12 districts have to give 1 boy and 1 girl of 12 from 18. These 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives.
The plot is quite to be gripping and entertaining. The movies haven't the last pecial effects but il was very stunning and staggering. The good points of the movie are that the photography is impressive and the acting is natural and likeable. The writing script is thought-provoking but compared to the book the movie is less grip because we don't have access Katniss's thoughts and some details are absent. Generally I find this film absolutely outstanding and I recommend this film to anyone who loves the fantasy, drama and teenager films. Don't wait tommorow to watch it! You miss a thing!
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
Okay You guys know me doing reviews, well this is going to be a little different of a review and more of a rant. If you are a fan of this movie or the book thats fine, I personally haven't read the book so I can't say anything about the book badly, but I can about this film. I DESPISED this movie, GOD I F*CKING HATED THIS MOVIE! This film seriously felt like it hurt me in the chest, thats how bad I hated it, and I haven't felt that bad since seeing Vertigo, thats how much I hated first.

First the acting.
The acting in this film is done so poorly and so bad that I literally could predict every line, every bit of humor, every bit of emotion, so the acting leads little to the imagination and doesn't entertain at all rather annoy. The only actor who was mildly decent was Woody Harrelsons character, but its still a poorly written character along with all the others. Even Donald Sutherland, one of my favorite actors, is given little to work with and is just flat out boring. Along with Josh Hutcherson, I was hoping he would be entertaining like he is in other films like "The Kids are alright" or "Bridge to Terebithia." The main character is also not that interesting, she isn't that interesting, she is boring, and the way she acts is just not entertaining, and she just seems to have no emotion whatsoever even in this film. And there are so many characters that are brushed over that could've been interesting, so when those characters die, there is no sympathy you can show for these characters because of how poorly developed they were in the film, such as the Rue character in the film, you learn that she is watching over Katriss but you know nothing about her so when she dies there is no sympathy you can show to her. You don't know if she was a nice character or a compassionate character to other characters. Also this film suffers from completely despisable characters that are just annoying that get unsatisfying deaths. There is a girl who savors the death of Rue and taunts the main character when holding her down, and you just want to stab her, but no she is shoved into a metal wall and has her neck snapped, and not even in the satisfying way, just the Snap dead, not the flashy kind or satisfying.

Next the action
This was the only thing that I found somewhat decent, but the action is ruined by one thing, the shaky as hell camera. The camera in this film is almost as bad as the Blair Witch, and those people had a handheld camera, so its expected on why the camera would be shaky, this is a multi-million dollar movie, its the same problem I have with The Bourne Identity movies. The camera shakes massively and it is impossible to tell what is going on when there is a fight scene going on or when someone is being attacked or murdered.

Other problems
The film really has the problem of not explaining very much. Aside from not developing characters enough, the film has several moments that the dialogue in the film is so predictable, it goes for every single love story blow. It goes for them holding hands when alone, them holding someone up with their hand to save them, to kissing on the head then the mouth, to the dialogue being so damn predictable being every single love movie line ever, "Don't leave stay here" "I won't leave your side" blah blah blah. You wouldn't believe how many times I groaned and sighed when watching this movie.

This is seriously all I can say about this film, I can seriously say that this is one of the worst films I've seen hands down. Again if you liked it, thats fine, but Me I can't stand it.
March 25, 2018
This movie ROCKED!! Usually movies that are based on books fail to capture the genius of the author's story, but The Hunger Games was on point! It followed the book very closely, which I appreciated, but also added a few different details that made the movie interesting to watch, even though I knew the story because I read the book. I highly recommend this film!
March 21, 2018
A fine, classy take, on a great novel.
March 19, 2018
Kids kill each other
March 19, 2018
My sister had read the books and got me to go see it with her and I'm honestly glad she did. Gary Ross delivers an experience that doesn't hold back on the raw, gut-wrenching story that is The Hunger Games. After reading the source material later I was impressed how true he stayed to the source material which played to his favor. Not only that, but the cinematography and sound editing/mixing provided a shaky first-person camera feel that gives it the reality tv show aesthetic that it's supposed to have. I'd be remiss if I forget to give a nod to the performances of Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci who brought this experience to the next level. Overall, a worthwhile watch and you should definitely read the books if you get the chance.
March 9, 2018
Some of the worst casting ever
½ March 4, 2018
I liked it better when it was Running Man/Logans Run/Battle Royale. Sadly there is nothing new OR creative here, which is a shame.
March 4, 2018
Actually the plot seems really similar to "Battle Royale" novel written by Koushun Takami.
It is what it is, its fun.
If you are a teen girl, you will love it.
½ March 4, 2018
The hunger games is as thrilling and amazing as the book it was based on
½ February 25, 2018
directed by Michael J Fox
February 12, 2018
Thankfully, this adaptation of what is arguably the best YA Dystopian trilogy doesn't rely solely on knowledge of the books for enjoyment. You're perfectly capable of having a good time if you have never read the books. Alongside that, the acting in this movie is startlingly good with reasonable characters, intelligent decisions, and an unrelentingly bleak mood throughout the film.
With all of this praise, it may seem that "The Hunger Games" has a lot going for it-and it does. It's just a shame that you have to wait an hour and eight minutes before getting to the actual " Hunger Games."
½ February 12, 2018
It started slow but as it began to speed up, it was worth the wait. 'The Hunger Games' really delivered on gory action and emotional storytelling. The empathy drove the film towards a darker and more emotional film sprouting from a great idea. I rate 'The Hunger Games' 92%.
January 27, 2018
"The Hunger Games has thrilling action, suspense and heart to go along with terrific performances from Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. This is a movie that will have you on the edge of your seat despite the noticeable CGI.
January 15, 2018
The spectacular story of 16 year old Katniss Everdeen who volunteers to save her sister from the annual hunger games. Love it!
January 14, 2018
an intense, brutal, emotional, and well acted movie that shows just how brutal an anarchic society can become
½ January 7, 2018
Character development is okay, world building is great, and the plot is excellent! CGI is subpar, acting performances are bad, and Katniss and Peeta chemistry is the worst. Overall intriguing world and interesting storyline with weird ass casting choices, pretty much.
January 6, 2018
Amazing ????Very sad ?? rip primrose ??
January 5, 2018
This movie was GREAT. I loved The Hunger Games! It is a story filled with great likeable characters and thrilling action sequences. What I love about both the novel and the film was its relentless pace. Once the hunger games begin Katniss is never safe. The Sense of peril that I experienced while reading the novel is captured beautifully in this adaptation. I loved the action scenes and the way that they were filmed. They may have overused the shaky cam but for the most part it did a great job of making the scenes very dramatic and chaotic. More violence is needed for the Catching Fire movie in my opinion but I wasn't letdown by anything in this film. I love the performances from all the actors. Jennifer Lawrence steals the show and is perfectly cast as Katniss Everdeen. She plays the role with an extraordinary amount of care and attention. She portrays the courage and strength very well of the character while still be an immensly likeable and relatable character. I also loved Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale but none of them can compare to the awesome badass that is Katniss! I can't wait until Catching Fire comes out which in my opinion is an even better book than the original.