The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

July 17, 2017
Probably...no...this IS the most satisfying commercial movie experience I've had since "The Dark Knight". Filled with suspense and REAL stakes, more than competent directing from Gary Ross and a great lead performance from Jennifer Lawrence, "The Hunger Games" is a MUST SEE. Can't wait for part II!!!
July 16, 2017
I loved this film, it is just a good as the book, although I would recommend reading the book before hand because I found that it made it more enjoyable. I would definitely watch this film again, one of my favourite films of all time!
½ July 15, 2017
Good dystopian nonsense. Sure I would have given it 9/10 thirty years ago, but then I grew up...
½ June 25, 2017
La considero una muy fiel adaptación al libro! Excelente!
June 24, 2017
Jennifer Lawrence is the best thing about this movie. The rest of the flick is really good but it's here portrayal of Katniss that sends it over the top. A good beginning to the series...
June 16, 2017
This surprisingly engaging YA novel has more than spectacle as it tries to raise awareness about social classes and the price some have to pay in a society ruled by barbaric and abusive entertainment.
June 11, 2017
Yes! A new saga that I wanna get invested in.
½ June 7, 2017
A normal girl called Katniss Everdeen saves her sister from being recruited to take part in the Hunger Games, by presenting herself as a volunteer. When she arrived the battle field she fought well.
The special effects were fantastic and the actors did very well and the recording team too.
May 31, 2017
'THE HUNGER GAMES' was directed by Gary Ross and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson. ?Due to an uprising nearly 75 years ago, an annual tournament called 'The Hunger Games' is held once a year in the not to distance future. Each one of the 12 districts that rebelled against the capital must nominate one male tribute and one female tribute to compete in a battle to the death. On the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen(Jennifer Lawrence)'s sister(Willow Shields)'s name is pulled out of the reaping glass. To stop this, Katniss volunteers in her place and must fight against the other 23 tributes to get back home.

I think this movie was made primarily for the fans of the series(like me) and not for newcomers. I recommend you watch this movie but I recommend you read the books first. If you hate reading, I cannot blame you but screw you. This movie is fine but the book is far superior. Nothing in this movie is particularly impressive but everything leans more on the positive side. It's a mildly entertaining movie that I probably only like because I really like the books. I'll say you can watch this movie and get entertainment out of it but you don't NEED to.

If you'd rather watch the movies before you read the books, I don't envy you but I can understand were you're coming from. If you watch the film first, you will probably be a little bit confused because they don't explain things the best and leave a few things out but I imagine you'll be able to understand eventually. The story is completely fine and passable but it is kept afloat by it's awesome premise. Again, the story is better done in the books but I can understand you not reading the books because you shouldn't have to. Thus, I will not say that I have issues with the story(because I get it) but I can understand non-fans not enjoying it.

Jennifer Lawrence is more wooden than a tree in this movie but I can understand that she was perfect for the role because the character being pretty wooden as well. To be fair to Lawrence, she does express genuine seeming emotion at points in the movie and I can't say she's terrible as Katniss but I think some more emoting would have helped. John Hutcherson displayed worse acting in this movie than Mel Gibson did in his Anti-Semetism apology. I hated him in this movie and I can't really explain why. I just don't like him. I like the character of Peeta, but not Hutcherson's performance. Woody Harrelson's performance as Haymitch Abernathy was the best part of the movie. He was great and I just wish he was in the book longer. Elizabeth Banks was off the wall as Effie Trinket which isn't surprising considering she supported Clinton(points! and I can say that because I'm not American). The remaining performances were mediocre(Liam Hemsworth) to barbaric(Lenny Kravitz) with some impressive exceptions(Stanley Tucci).

A lot of hate was thrown Ross' way for the cinematography for this movie and while I understand the need for tripods, I feel that the style he was going for was the documentary style which fits more in line with the first person perspective of the books. That's probably just my opinion and I completely understand why someone would hate it but I personally didn't mind it. This movie was released in 2012 but the effects were finished in 1875, or whenever George Lucas began his CGI fetish. The effects in this movie are barbaric and it's disgusting they were even allowed. The set design is also extremely bland and generic in this movie. I wanted to feel the awe and wonder Katniss felt when she first visited the capitol but instead I was vastly let down.

The action in this movie is okay but could have been much better. The world building is fine but was done much better in the books. This movie is a perfectly disposable dystopian action/romance movie which I can recommend you watch but it's not something you NEED to watch. I'll rate it 6 out of 10 PEETAS!!!
½ May 31, 2017
This adaption excellently translates Suzanne Collin's work to the big screen largely because of Jennifer Lawrence's magnetic performance. It's still a YA dystopian story though, so it carries it's many genre-necessary flaws with it.
May 23, 2017
Great rendition of the book.
May 9, 2017
Good acting but SHAKY CAM!
April 18, 2017
What an awesome movie!!!! Cannot wait to see the next one, Jennifer Lawrence is beautiful and was great!!
½ April 14, 2017
The hunger games gives us a fairly strong opening with a gritty aesthetic and compelling acting. It does however suffer from poor CGI at moments such as the costume fire and the 'mutts'.
½ April 12, 2017
The hunger games is a phantastic, interesting and wonderful movie. Everytime I see it i have to cry.
April 1, 2017
The Hunger Games is an emotionally driven and captivating film from start to finish, even though directing is a bit dull and distracting. A must see!
March 28, 2017
Hunger Games, is an action-packed/ Gore movie, that all teens and adults will love, but has some boring scenes...
March 25, 2017
To slow of a movie with introductions and not getting down to action hay I thought it was a boring movie sometimes a sequel is better. So not a fan of this!
March 23, 2017
Could have been great, but lacks many of the things that makes movies great. It lacks scenes that create tension. It also lacks truly good action scenes when they are in the forest. Plus, it made too many mistakes. It needed more editing. What saves it from being terrible is Jennifer Lawrence. She is so adorable.
March 17, 2017
An interesting storyline that was unfortunately underplayed in the film, lack of character development, and bad CGI all made for a movie that could have been great but in the end was mediocre.