The Hunger Games - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunger Games Reviews

September 19, 2018
Con inponencia Gary Ross vende este concepto filmico de adaptación de libros de adolescentes con una historia fresca y bastante enganchante, personajes sólidos y conceptos distintos, una ejecución bien construida es lo que logra este film ,la conexión entre personajes logra cautivar de manera acertada a un publico en general,Su propuesta sonora es bastante buena y en lo personal logra ser lo mas llamativo de este film.
½ August 30, 2018
Very good movie! With good actors
August 27, 2018
A dystopian drama that makes you think, but also appreciate the characters that inhabit it, The Hunger Games balances lavish, vivid set pieces with tense violence.
August 18, 2018
Never read the books, but this movie delivers on all counts, creating a believable dystopian world that somehow reinforces the power of the human spirit. Jennifer Lawrence in incredible, as are Josh Hutcherson, Woody Harrelson, Liam Hemsworth, and Elizabeth Banks. Donald Sutherland plays the perfect foil, and Stanley Tucci as Caesar deserves a big shout out. This is one of those movies that when it appears on Sunday afternoon rerun networks I'd watch again and again.
½ August 11, 2018
This movie is rotated completely around teens killing each other. What a nice movie.
August 11, 2018
Not as good as the book, but worth a watch.
½ August 9, 2018
over all not a bad movie. great plot, good characters. everything you want in a movie .however there are a few thing i did not like about it.one thing i did not like about the movie is there was a lot in the book that was left out. from quotes to an entire character, a lot was left out.another thing wrong with the movie is it does not have a lot violence for a movie about kids killing each other its somewhat tame. the last thing i did not like about the movie is the cgi/special effects were not the best.
½ July 7, 2018
A good and original movie, with a universe that feels unique and like lions gate put care into making this a flawless universe. With drama after a civil war and a country that is divided.
July 5, 2018
first part was the best of all . second was good too others are bad
½ July 1, 2018
The Hunger Games has a phenomenal story, and the novel by Suzanne Collins is emotional. To capture that emotion on screen is difficult but its managed, however the movie is not as strong as the book. Inevitably its missing a lot of what made the book brilliant but the movie in its own right is still superb entertainment. Jennifer Lawerence and Woody Harrelson in particular play true to there character roles which is vital to living up to its roots. Although the games target people of a certain age it unfortunately means in parts it feels like a teen flick and by the lack of gore and murderous scenes it takes away from the raw feel of the book. The emotion isn't lacking enough for it to be a flop as its still wonderfully paced and charismatic. This dystopian world feels worrying real and the silent scenes of pain sit nicely into the audiences feeling of discomfort in watching this unfortunate tale or unnatural circumstances.
June 20, 2018
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !!!
½ June 15, 2018
The Hunger Games is an outstanding film adaptation of the book by Suzanne Collins that is definitely something I recommend. Set in a dystopian world, a young woman named Katniss Everdeen has to survive in the hunger games which is teens fighting to the death until there's only one left. It's thrilling and incredibly tense and worrisome from the beginning to the end of the film and is definitely something that will keep you watching until the end. Jennifer Lawrence gives an incredible performance in the title role playing Katniss Everdeen which is one of the most popular roles of her entire career and the supporting cast including Josh Hutcherson and Woody Harrelson also do amazing jobs in their roles. It's all superbly acted which is something that's great about this film. Gary Ross does a great job adopting the novel being one of the best movies he's done. Overall, it's an incredible film and is definitely something that fans of the book and people who haven't read the book (like myself even though I probably should) can enjoy
June 11, 2018
With some shaky-cam instances, it still stands to be a Summer movie in the Spring.
June 5, 2018
A thrilling, emotional, and suspense-filled adventure. Director Ross brings an expert hand to the material and captures the grittiness of the world. He also effectively captures the social commentary of the story, which brings a level of intelligence to the movie. He also gets strong performances from his cast, including a great lead performance from Lawrence, who anchors the movie with a tough vulnerability. There is also a terriffic supporting performance from Harrelson, whon steals every scene he is in. Overall, Ross and his team have created a movie with danger, heartfelt drama, and exciting suspense. One of the standout movies of the year, so far.
May 25, 2018
A fantastic start to one of my favorite series of all time.
April 25, 2018
Reviewed 4.20.18. When reviewing teen-targeted movies, I don't hold them up against Casablanca.
Despite that disclaimer, The Hunger Games is darn entertaining no matter your age.

With Jennifer Lawrence in the role that launched her to stardom, and a killer supporting cast (Harrelson, Sutherland, Tucci, even Kravitz), it's as much fun as you can have watching kids murder each other. Surprisingly, that sobering plot device doesn't cast a heavy pall.

The real blows come in its critique of our vapid, war mongering, consumer culture. Ceasar Flickerman's blindingly white teeth. The slavish blood lust for reality show meat. Children bred for violence. Disdain for the oppressed. The elitism. The greed. The movie is rife with parallels to modern western society.

The fictional nation of Panem is us. Is it our dystopian future, or are we already there? Either way, it cuts hard. The loftier themes may be lost on younger viewers, but the analogous connection to the emotional brutality of school surely isn't.

It's popcorn movie entertainment with a message. Didn't like it? You're either old or the intended target. Or as kids see it, both.
½ April 19, 2018
over-hyped and nothing much special aside from lawrence's performance. takes too long to get to the actual games and is full of plotholes. the game itself is not as interesting as i thought it would be. the shaky-cam is a cheap way of immersing yourself in the movie and it doesn't work. the supporting casts' acting is mediocre and it's an incredibly flawed and not-very-well-thought-out view of the future. not nearly as smart as it thinks it is.
the directing is average.
½ April 17, 2018
Hunger games came out 2012; it was directed by Gary Ross and based on the Hunger games by Suzanne collins. This science-fiction, fantasy, drama and action film stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne and Woody Harreleson as Haymitch Abernathy.
The film tells a story of a girl, Katniss Everdeen, who has to survive in the Hunger games. In a dystopian post-apocalyptic future, in Panem, the capitol decided, because of a past rebellion, that the 12 districts have to give 1 boy and 1 girl of 12 from 18. These 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives.
The plot is quite to be gripping and entertaining. The movies haven't the last pecial effects but il was very stunning and staggering. The good points of the movie are that the photography is impressive and the acting is natural and likeable. The writing script is thought-provoking but compared to the book the movie is less grip because we don't have access Katniss's thoughts and some details are absent. Generally I find this film absolutely outstanding and I recommend this film to anyone who loves the fantasy, drama and teenager films. Don't wait tommorow to watch it! You miss a thing!
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
Okay You guys know me doing reviews, well this is going to be a little different of a review and more of a rant. If you are a fan of this movie or the book thats fine, I personally haven't read the book so I can't say anything about the book badly, but I can about this film. I DESPISED this movie, GOD I F*CKING HATED THIS MOVIE! This film seriously felt like it hurt me in the chest, thats how bad I hated it, and I haven't felt that bad since seeing Vertigo, thats how much I hated first.

First the acting.
The acting in this film is done so poorly and so bad that I literally could predict every line, every bit of humor, every bit of emotion, so the acting leads little to the imagination and doesn't entertain at all rather annoy. The only actor who was mildly decent was Woody Harrelsons character, but its still a poorly written character along with all the others. Even Donald Sutherland, one of my favorite actors, is given little to work with and is just flat out boring. Along with Josh Hutcherson, I was hoping he would be entertaining like he is in other films like "The Kids are alright" or "Bridge to Terebithia." The main character is also not that interesting, she isn't that interesting, she is boring, and the way she acts is just not entertaining, and she just seems to have no emotion whatsoever even in this film. And there are so many characters that are brushed over that could've been interesting, so when those characters die, there is no sympathy you can show for these characters because of how poorly developed they were in the film, such as the Rue character in the film, you learn that she is watching over Katriss but you know nothing about her so when she dies there is no sympathy you can show to her. You don't know if she was a nice character or a compassionate character to other characters. Also this film suffers from completely despisable characters that are just annoying that get unsatisfying deaths. There is a girl who savors the death of Rue and taunts the main character when holding her down, and you just want to stab her, but no she is shoved into a metal wall and has her neck snapped, and not even in the satisfying way, just the Snap dead, not the flashy kind or satisfying.

Next the action
This was the only thing that I found somewhat decent, but the action is ruined by one thing, the shaky as hell camera. The camera in this film is almost as bad as the Blair Witch, and those people had a handheld camera, so its expected on why the camera would be shaky, this is a multi-million dollar movie, its the same problem I have with The Bourne Identity movies. The camera shakes massively and it is impossible to tell what is going on when there is a fight scene going on or when someone is being attacked or murdered.

Other problems
The film really has the problem of not explaining very much. Aside from not developing characters enough, the film has several moments that the dialogue in the film is so predictable, it goes for every single love story blow. It goes for them holding hands when alone, them holding someone up with their hand to save them, to kissing on the head then the mouth, to the dialogue being so damn predictable being every single love movie line ever, "Don't leave stay here" "I won't leave your side" blah blah blah. You wouldn't believe how many times I groaned and sighed when watching this movie.

This is seriously all I can say about this film, I can seriously say that this is one of the worst films I've seen hands down. Again if you liked it, thats fine, but Me I can't stand it.