The Hunt Reviews

• 1d ago

It was a horrible movie about the hunting of people because of political views

It was a horrible movie about the hunting of people because of political views

• 2d ago

This movie was supposed to be released in September last year, but after some controversy Universal Pictures shelved it until March 13th. Apparently the outrage was over the fact that this movie has liberals and conservatives fighting each other to death. But it's worth noting that most of the people who were offended by this and posting about it online hadn't actually seen the film at the time. Craig Zobel, the director, said in a statement that the film makes fun of the partisanship in America. "Our ambition was to poke at both sides of the aisle equally," he wrote. "We seek to entertain and unify, not enrage and divide. It is up to the viewers to decide what their takeaway will be." The Hunt is a dark comedy thriller with a little bit of gore and a lot of political overtones. It follows a group of people that wake up in a clearing and are then hunted by a group of "elites". And it doesn't waste your time, we jump right into it, and it's a fun ride from start to finish. While it has a couple of twists and turns the plot is kept pretty simple and easy to follow, and is acted out by a great cast with a lot of familiar faces that I was happy to see. This movie was trying to say a lot and in some areas I think it succeeded but in others it may have missed the mark a bit. I'm not surprised that it's offended people. They really do hit at both sides and there's truly something in there for everyone. But none of that really bothered me, since I'm well aware there are definitely extremists on both sides, and a political stance doesn't always guarantee a moral stance. I just wish that it had all been a bit more subtle. But I tend to prefer my movies slower and more character focused, especially when it has such a great cast that I would have loved to see more from. But I also hadn't really expected to. I went in with a pretty good idea of what I would see and I had a good time. Mostly I just enjoyed Betty Gilpin's brilliant acting and want to see her in more stuff immediately. I'd definitely recommend going to see it.

• 2d ago

I heard plenty about this movie for its controversy and it made me want to check this out. With the cast in the credits, I had to admit I was interested but as the movie progressed only a few members of the cast remained. But for those that remained, I had to admit it was cool and fun. A high ranking but unstable member of American society gets triggered by the comments of various conservative men and women on social media, so she decides to kill them in a violent hunt in Eastern Europe. As the killing subsides and the last few remaining characters endure, the winner appears to be a young, strong-willed, and sarcastic Southern woman ready to take her revenge on the woman who put her in this hunt. The controversy is obvious, but from what I hear this film was not made to praise conservatives but merely to try something new. Most of the performers are liberals and they only took this for the money and the challenge that came from it. The fact that it is a satire is the driving point of the controversy. There are obvious parallels to various social groups that are mocked in this movie. Even the villainess is a shoutout to Hillary Clinton. Mocking liberals and conservatives are what this is all about, yet conservatives are mocked every week on Saturday Night Live and no one bats an eye. They say the devil cannot stand to be mocked, and perhaps that why the controversy because liberals know they are evil. It is a shame that most of the characters that were eliminated quickly were decent actors like Emma Roberts and Justin Hartley but those that remain are splendid. The villain actress is an Academy Award winner and Betty Gilpin from the Netflix series GLOW delivers an awesome performance. It's not a great movie but not a bad one either. It certainly didn't deserve to be pulled from theaters or gain such controversy. As stated before, the devil doesn't like to be mocked.

• 3d ago

I severely dislike political movies but got such a big kick out of Betty Gilpin that I enjoyed it immensely!

• Tunde
    3d ago

If you like action and dark comedy, it’s entertaining :)

If you like action and dark comedy, it’s entertaining :)

• 3d ago

Stay away from the hype on this one. It's actually a good movie where the two leads can act. It's a good look at how terrible politics are today and tries to go down the middle if that's possible. Plenty to make people mad and happy. In summary, turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. I liked it.

• 3d ago

Surprising, action-adventure, and enjoyable. Great kind of movie to see in theatres.

• 4d ago

Meh. It had an interesting premise but I don't feel that it was executed to its full potential. The ending fight is pretty cool.

• 4d ago

The action is quite entertaining. However, The Hunt fails to teach an impactful lesson about the social issues that are the basis of the story.

• 4d ago

The Hunt is a pretty medicore horror thriller featuring elite liberals hunting "rednecks" on a manor in the middle of a foreign country but is highly predictable and leaves the audience a little unsatisfied. Most of the time the audience is trying to figure out if this movie is a comedy or a thriller.