The Last Dragon Reviews

• Oct 14, 2019

Sho'Nuff is one of the greatest movie villains of all time!

Sho'Nuff is one of the greatest movie villains of all time!

• Aug 27, 2019

The Last Dragon is an insane amalgamation of genres that puzzled me to no end. For starters, it is a martial arts film paying homage to Bruce Lee. I appreciated that they actually showed some clips of Lee’s movies in this film, so they owned the fact that they were using him as inspiration for some of the kung fu elements of the story. The movie is also filled with music videos, almost like it’s a musical. There were some great songs in the soundtrack, and it made sense to have all the music because the female lead is the host of a dance show on TV akin to Soul Train. Finally, there’s the comedy element in the movie, and this is what confused me most. I could not keep a handle on how much they were being tongue-in-cheek and how much they wanted to take things seriously. The tone is so wacky in places that I assume it’s all meant as a parody/spoof, but the fact that I had trouble figuring out which side of the line the movie meant to land on is a problem. The joke writing isn’t that strong if it is meant to be a pure comedy. One scene in particular, when the protagonist goes undercover as a pizza delivery man is so awkward, I felt embarrassed for the actors in it. The story of The Last Dragon is thoroughly muddled because they are jamming so many genre elements together. One minute you’re in a training location that looks like it could be in Hong Kong, then you’re at a small-town pizza parlor, then you’re inside a big recording studio, and it seems all these places are within walking distance of one another. Trying to connect one story that bounces between the jumble of crazy locations is tough. It’s one of those things that the movie seems to ask us to ignore, but it was hard for me. The other aspect I struggled with was the strange performance Taimak gave as Leroy Green. He behaved as if he was raised in a foreign temple, when in reality he was brought up in an ordinary household and has a brother that seems to know how to talk like a normal human being. The best actors are the ones who seem more self-aware that they are in a ridiculous movie. Julius Carry and Christopher Murney take their villainous performances to goofy levels, and I laughed a few times at them. However, I was more puzzled by The Last Dragon rather than entertained. If I watch it again and try to just laugh at the whole thing it might be more fun.

• Jul 28, 2019

WHO IS THE MASTER!!!!

WHO IS THE MASTER!!!!

• May 18, 2019

PROFOUND MESSAGES RE: INTERNAL CONFIDENCE AND STRENGTH

PROFOUND MESSAGES RE: INTERNAL CONFIDENCE AND STRENGTH

• Apr 26, 2019

Taimak & Vanity star in this Kung Fu fighting film that takes place in NYC in the 1980's. Humor, music, martial arts, & street knowledge thrown in a blender for a smoothie of goodness that far exceeds the over budget Hollywood blockbusters that are same old, same old that I refuse to see. Have seen this film countless times since the 1980s the essence of it is still there. It is even more poignant since Vanity died recently (she worked closely w/ the late great Minnesota legend Prince). Recommended film! Sho 'nuff says kiss my converse & is a great bad guy :)

• Mar 31, 2019

Rotten Tomatoes you guys have been missing on a lot of reviews! The Last Dragon defines 80ï¿ 1/2(TM)s movies! Yï¿ 1/2(TM)all wouldnï¿ 1/2(TM)t know a good movie unless the Producers paid you!

• Mar 09, 2019

A cult classic. My favorite movie of all time. As a child watching this magic on screen I pictured myself as the protagonist wanting to have the abilities. After watching it again as an adult, the philosophical lines are the best thing about this movie. Look within yourself is the main drive of the entire movie and it rings true still to this day. i let my son watch this movie and immediately he wanted to watch it again right away. It's fun, sad and action packed and is sitting on my shelf as we speak. The effects came with the time, so if others can be rated high, so can this one.

• Feb 08, 2019

This is one of my all-time favorite kung fu movies. Yes it's a little goofy but that's what makes it so lovable.

• Jan 18, 2019

Am I the baddest low down mofo around this town? Sho nuff!

Am I the baddest low down mofo around this town? Sho nuff!

• Jan 01, 2019

Fun when it came out and although I was skeptical when watching many years later on Netflix, it's a movie that has held up well. The music, dancing, and fight scenes are all campy but, the movie knows what it is. It's fun from the opening training montage until Leroy learns where his power lies.