The Lighthouse Reviews

• 9h ago

i feel so smart watching this movie, even though it has one too many farts in it

• 11h ago

Terrific cinematography, set, location and actors. A mashup of horror, psycho-drama, and even a hint of RomCom! When it comes out on DVD I shall place it in my section for films such as ‘The Cremator', ‘A field In England' and ‘Mandy'.

• 14h ago

Crazy, weird, intense, traumatising, unique, mesmerising, hilarious, devastating, heartfelt, malicious, erotic, enthralling... is that enough? This movie cannot be classed as either a bad, or good film, rather a downright crazy one, that can, and will, stand the test of time -- largely due to its intoxicating cinematography, searing lead performances and outrageously bold storytelling. Did someone slip something into my Fanta? Iroh's grade: ABCDEFG

• 16h ago

The most beautifully disgusting film I’ve laid eyes on. A wonderful treat to all cinephiles.

• 18h ago

Trippy for sure. And the 2 actors held down their crazy well. But, I def don't want to work at a light house after that.

• 20h ago

The Lighthouse is weird, confusing, claustrophobic, dark, funny, eerie and scary at the same time. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson share a great chemistry together and complete one another very well. The black and white 4:3 setting is makes the movie even better because, since we've grown so accustomed to bright colorful movies that we can't perceive every detail giving it that eerie vibe that I mentioned. Robert Eggers makes a movie that confirms Pattinson's growth since The Twilight saga - no wonder Christopher Nolan wanted him on Tenet and Matt Reeves on The Batman.

• Feb 21, 2020

This was perhaps the worst movie I have ever experienced. How this could be released in a cinema and not in someone's deep, dark cellar is beyond me. The acting was terrible, accents were muddled throughout the movie, the cinematography was atrocious. Made you feel you were on a particularly bad sea voyage (and not in an "immersive" cinema way). If I hadn't been sitting watching this in the middle of Sydney Harbour with spectacular views I would have walked out within minutes. If I could give it less than a star I would.

• 1d ago

Eggers proves once more that he is one of the best filmmakers of his generation. A masterfully crafted film that will keep you thinking about it for days after you've seen it.

• 2d ago

One of 2019's best, if not, the best film! Pattinson and Defoe nail it with their acting! The Lighthouse is visually stunning, horrifying, a masterpiece! An absolute must-see!

• 3d ago

This won't be for everyone - it's a weird and unusual film; but it's beautiful. The cinematography; aspect ratio and the black and white filming helps the atmosphere & environment ooze off the screen. It feels like a Hitchcock film. Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe are absolutely sublime in this. Their performances and relationship on screen capture the tension, isolation, and eventual madness perfectly. I love that the film is so ambiguous as well; it can be interpreted in so many different ways. It'll have you talking and thinking about it for days afterwards.