The Lobster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lobster Reviews

½ May 7, 2019
Really boring movie, I'd watch this if I wanted to fall asleep or had insomnia
½ April 28, 2019
Well acted, but the whole things was just odd. If this was a way to destigmatize, this wasn't too effective.
April 18, 2019
5 stars. so true to real love... (ps. only wish is that they did not kill any animals for real)
½ April 7, 2019
This is such a boring, weird, interesting movie. In a good way. Hell, I even the synapse is weird: a person has forty-five days to find a lover or they'll be turned into an animal of their choice. Wow. This movie would be very boring if you didn't pay attention. I had to pay CLOSE attention to understand what was happening. I must say this: the dialogue and cinematography is the best. The conversations are witty and satirical and sometimes funny. Now, there were so many scenes where the characters don't speak, only get to see their facial expressions, that happened too often and got boring. But, that still doesn't forget the fact that the characters are still very unique and engaging, making you think what their next dialogue choice is. Yep, weird movie, some people might not like it.
½ April 3, 2019
the meanings in this film flow slowly, in a surprisingly psychotic, individualistic and raw vision.
April 3, 2019
omg how can people like this shit
½ March 31, 2019
Such a strange and symbolic movie. Weirdly funny and Farrell and Weisz were both great.
½ March 31, 2019
you can't find any happiness in this film, i don't see the point of this.. but nevertheless its a very creative film.
½ March 31, 2019
This was the worst movie I've every seen and I try to watch bad movies
½ March 22, 2019
I can't think of any movie that has effortlessly explored the human relationships with such insight, profundity, authenticity, and accuracy. Lanthimos simply took some stereotypes and utilized them flawlessly, thus taking advantage of them in a most potent, effective, and cynical way. I don't the movie to be neither misanthropic nor nihilistic, since it displays both the good and the bad in humans. This is one of these movies that makes you wonder why it hasn't been made before.

The Lobster also has one of the most effective uses of voice-over narration in recent years. With a stiff and composed tone lacking emotional weight, the voice-over significantly enriches the film´┐ 1/2(TM)s narrative, particularly for setting its gloomy and dreary tone that seems as if it came out of a dystopian novel, and it's definitely crucial to carry the film´┐ 1/2(TM)s development from start to finish.

It's also impressive that both different halves of the movie have worked pretty well; the first half, with its sarcastic and dry sense of humor, and the second half, with its more serious, focused and extremely intelligent less-is-more storytelling. The movie almost scuppered by the major tonal shift between its two halves, and became very tepid, since its humor lost its bite almost completely. But it picked up almost instantly, and became as, if not more, intriguing and riveting as it was in its first hour.

An instant classic, The Lobster is a highly original dystopian black comedy that proves that Yorgos Lanthimos is one of the most talented and idiosyncratic filmmakers working today. I can't wait to see more of his films!

(9/10)
March 22, 2019
With its brilliant writing and directing, "The Lobster" delivers its audience a gripping and suspenseful story with a new and quirky tone.
½ March 9, 2019
probably the yorgos masterpiece so far, the movie is deep, sweet and a punch on face at the same time. I thought that everybody with relationship issues should watch this lovely history.
½ March 9, 2019
This film works quite well for its first half within the established boundaries of popular cinema, and therein lies its greatest failing.

Having built up this series of intrigues, it then fails to resolve any them using that same stylistic cinematic method, instead reaching deep into the pseudo-surrealist and absurdist cinematic traditions and thereby merely betraying the popular premises promised resolution in that first half and thus disappointingly failing to pull off anything amazing at all. leading the average viewer into a complex confusion having abandoned any real world logic at all. Hence the critics delight and the general sense of betrayal and indignance in the general viewer. Why is this? It's because you can't have it both ways, that is, promising to fulfill a supposed real world scenario by clearly detailing the reasoning behind its every machination (which is exactly what any popularist director should understand their average viewer is pleasantly expecting, since it's their job to set these premises up in the first place) only then to change the rules and divert the focus of the material onto a mish- mash of conveniently selected allusions to allegiances to other genres as a justification for the film's divergence into a lack of resolution.

I won't say it a third time, because who's listening? Yes, I was half asleep when watching the second half and this 'review' represents my immediate knee jerk reaction to something I found distasteful when I had previously been under the impression that it would be somewhat lighter in content than it turned out to be, (there, I said it again (!), but the news is the fact that in this day and age, the average massive bulk data fed human mind will not instinctively concentrate its later return meditations onto the subject matter of a film such as this that has left them feeling exploited in the manner 'The Lobster' quite clearly has done, and so, any post viewing realisation revelations claimed or expected are therefore only null and void as a philosophical justification for the divergent nature of its content.

*** WARNING: 'SPOILER' ***

Plus, (and perhaps this is the most symbolic clue in regard to the nature of this film as a potential 'let down' of a viewing experience); there never actually was, in any portion of the film, any lobster (or lobsters) featured in it!
½ March 6, 2019
Definitely overrated.
March 3, 2019
I can't believe I'm saying this, but this may have been too weird even for me. Or maybe just 30 minutes too long. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, and I liked the end also. Somewhere in Act 2b-Act 3 things started getting weird for weird sake IMO. Great concept, Solid execution, but overall maybe not for me.
February 26, 2019
What a worthless waste of time. If you're looking to be really depressed, this is the one for you.
February 24, 2019
Yorgos Lanthimos possess a strongly bizarre vision, plasm in an inventive-creative indie-drama, with all the benefits of an author's work and completely unconventional in its performance, this film might cause a conflict of connection for mainstream audiences, but the excess of unconventional themes works in favor of an oddly crafted work, that explores the constant lust for acceptance, love and identity in such original ways, most of them guided by Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz.
February 12, 2019
Beautifully written and wittily performed movie that couldn't have been directed better. Fantastic representation of how the world pressures an individual to be in a relationship.
February 8, 2019
Artsy, I enjoyed the monotone narration, it reminded me of 'Stranger than fiction'. It was an interesting to watch a film with such a different style. But quite an ugly and creepy plot with torture and a general indifference to the suffering of others. I suppose it makes our society look better? Not a light watch.
½ January 29, 2019
La vision exentricamente especifica del griego Yorgos Lanthimos deja a la langosta como una obra magna ,su belleza ,inteligencia y sensibilidad aran que sus capas narrativas se muestren tan melancolicas y desoladoras como busca hacerlas ver.