The Pact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pact Reviews

July 12, 2017
Too many unanswered questions. Suspenseful throughout but left me hanging at the end.
July 2, 2017
The Pact, written and directed by Nicholas McCarthy, is a fast-paced thriller that is as much a mystery film as it is horror film. In the beginning of the film, we learn that Annie and Nichole Barlow's mom has recently passed away. Upon returning to their mother's house after her death, Nichole Barlow (Agnes Bruckner) disappears. Annie Barlow (Caity Lotz) is notified by their cousin, Liz (Kathleen Rose Perkins) that she hasn't heard from Nichole in three days. Therefore, Annie comes to the mother's house to try and find out what happened to Nichole. At first, she thinks Nichole ran away. However, as mysterious supernatural things start to occur, Annie realizes there is more to Nichole's disappearance than her simply hitting the road and running away.

Nicholas McCarthy's screenwriting was well done. The plot is rich, with enough action to keep the audience fully entertained throughout the duration of the movie. I tend to think of the plot of this film as a jigsaw puzzle. At the beginning, we know Nichole has disappeared and we know that strange things are happening, but we don't know why. Throughout the film, clue after clue after clue fit nicely together one after the other into the overall puzzle which is the resolution to our story. The plot twist at the end is one that likely no one will see coming. However, as clues piece together throughout the film, the audience will quickly understand how everything is connected and how the twist makes perfect sense and explains everything that has happened in this film up to the ending. Although there are several jump scares, this movie is good not because of its horror but more because of its sense of mystery.

The acting was well-done by all characters in the film. Caity Lotz put on a wonderful performance as Annie Barlow and her character development throughout the movie will make audiences sympathize with her and become attached to her. In the beginning of the film, we learn that in the past, Annie hasn't made the best decisions and has run away from her family. However, now, she becomes fully entwined in trying to find out what happened to her sister. We realize that she is not a bad person at all and we sympathize with her as Caity Lotz makes Annie's fear and anxiety seem tangible. Additionally, at two separate points in the film, a girl named Stevie is brought into the mother's house by Annie to see if she can talk to and get information from the "other side" with the hopes of finding out why strange things are happening and why her sister might have disappeared. Haley Hudson did a wonderful job playing Stevie. Stevie shows genuine concern for Annie at certain points, and when Stevie's body is rocked by convulsions due to the supernatural forces she is feeling, her pain and suffering are genuine and elicit fear and sympathy from the audience. Stevie's character is vital to the plot as she provides information to Annie that helps bring her to the resolution of the film.

Overall, this film is a mystery/thriller with great cinematography and a rich plot that will keep you at the edge of your seat until the shocking twist at its conclusion!

Rating: 4/5
June 11, 2017
The ratings are about right on this one
January 8, 2017
overall an ok watch
but there are definitely some good jolts to be had
Caity Lotz is really good in the movie playing the sister of another sister who goes missing and whose mother dies
she arrives to take care of her sister's daughter yet she's unaware of a malevolent presence that resides in the house she's in
there's a ghost involved and a bigger mystery surrounding some murder victims
a lower budget of a horror flick but it's handled pretty neatly in terms of suspense
the climax is where things get pretty intense
December 28, 2016
pretty good horror flick with a good story. it dragged at times but was an overall enjoyable experience. lots of suspenseful scenes (1 viewing)
December 20, 2016
The mystery is compelling and holds the story together in an efficient way before the last twenty minutes (which are very tense), even though there is no pact to be seen (can a movie title get more generic and lazier than this?) and the direction is so annoyingly full of clichés.
October 21, 2016
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL
October 1, 2016
Super creepy, suspenseful, scary
½ August 22, 2016
The Pact is a pretty good horror film, but seems to lose focus a few times. There are quite a few good scares and pretty tense and suspenseful scenes, but the film drags into some monotonous moments quickly after, and it really hurt the movie. The acting overall is pretty good, the one older cop dude is bland as shit though. Watch this film if you want to see a pretty good horror film, but don't want to get too scared
May 31, 2016
Even though The Pact's story is excellent, many aspects of this movie make it dull and uninteresting.
½ May 28, 2016
This movie is really bad. I mean mind-bendingly bad. When the blind girl serving as a frat house mascot turns out to be a medium who runs on juice boxes, and it's not a comedy, run away. If you don't, the scary bad man will eat all your pickles and butter. And then he'll wash it down with you Dr Pepper!! The horror!!!! Oh but make sure you get a teeny tiny ice cream with a teeny tiny spoon from the grizzled police dude. Don't wanna miss out on that. This movie is ridiculous, I do not understand how it has a fresh rating.

Honestly my real question, which was never answered, is this: why does the pickle man cry?
May 10, 2016
didn't really go anywhere. i liked seeing haley hudson as stevie though, i always thought she was so cute on weeds.
½ April 11, 2016
I was very impressed with this ghost story. It got going fairly early and really didn't let up. There are some very potent shocks and a very good resolution. The sole out-of-place element is the appearance of the impossibly good looking Van Dien as a small town detective.
½ March 7, 2016
All around a good movie. A little slow at times and confusing. But the lead actress puts in a solid performance.
January 2, 2016
A surprisingly good scare! Too many films masquerade as horrors, only to leave the viewer feeling cheated and dismayed. Whether they are filled with overused stereotypes, or they just simply don't scare... horror fans more often than not are left wishing they hadn't fallen for another deceptive trailer. Yet The Pact separates itself from the pack by creating a tense atmosphere, that delivers it's fair share of chills. The premise is believable given that this is a horror. And the movie succeeds based on the fact that you're not constantly shaking your head at the characters' choices/decisions. It may not go down as a horror classic, but it's definitely worth a watch if you're a horror fan looking for your next viewing.
December 30, 2015
I was surprised watching this movie. It's one of the scariest movies I've seen and has GREAT suspense.
December 28, 2015
quite interesting story idea yet it is slow at some parts and there is decent suspense in it to its a rare "win" for the horror genre
December 27, 2015
Salvo por esporádicos momentos ótimos da fotografia.
½ November 7, 2015
Ok, ok...after Crimson Peak every movie of the supernatural had good chances to be an improvement...but this was closer than thought...take an over-constructed story, paranormal activity, serial killers, mediums, Internet, street view and magical digital cams together and the Internet generation will understand it...that's probably what u think if u r grown up in these times...scares me a lot more of the movie still to come than the movie itself...by the way...most stupid "end boss" fight I have ever seen
½ October 8, 2015
Very boring thriller up until the end, but not entirely horrible