The Purge: Anarchy Reviews

• 11h ago

I like Frank Grillo in this

I like Frank Grillo in this

• Jul 17, 2019

Good Action. Bad dialogue. Frank Grillo does a good job.

Good Action. Bad dialogue. Frank Grillo does a good job.

• Jul 08, 2019

A significant step up from the first film. You actually get to see "The Purge" realized and the social commentary is much more interesting than the first. Still not as good as it could be but all together an interesting dystopian horror film.

• May 23, 2019

It's better than the first movie.

It's better than the first movie.

• May 07, 2019

There's a good movie in here somewhere, which I suppose is a bit of a step up for this notorious horror franchise. As someone with limited to no involvement in the antics of "The Purge" (I'd only seen "The First Purge" prior to now and it was not very good at all) I can't say I know the property's pitfalls and heights backwards to front. But, from what I've heard, the fact that there's any successes at all in this film is a testament to its supremacy as the best of the batch. Frank Grillo is the real anchor here. The guy is the living embodiment of the cool factor and seeing him go to town on baddies is worth the price of admission alone. It's a messy movie, with some ham-fisted political soapboxing and a couple moments of out-of-place buffoonery, but it's a fun watch, to be sure.

• Apr 28, 2019

This is just another Purge film. It does touch on a lot of interesting themes such as familial resentment as well as revenge, but most of the movie is just spent with a small cast of characters who are all pretty lousy just running around outside in the purge looking for safety but ending up in a bunch of different dangerous situations. I don't know what I was exactly thinking would happen in a purge movie but there really is little to no meaningful plot.

• Mar 30, 2019

The Purge franchise cleanses its soul with a different perspective and a well done character arc for Leo, whose name I only learned when I read the description of The Purge: Election Year.

• Mar 19, 2019

Not the best follow up but this movie adds to the world of the purge. A little stupid at times but the action plows through the crap.

• Mar 17, 2019

The second Purge movie serves as dumb entertainment, at moments making me wonder if a Twisted Metal movie is possible, but dumb fun is as far at it goes. Rent it, but don't buy.

• Feb 15, 2019

A stronger film than the first in the series, both wider and deeper as it follows two pairs of people and one individual thrown together on the streets on Purge night. Where the first film was a stripped back home invasion story, this is a horror-inflected action film, with gripping set pieces, and a dig into deeper themes of the divide between rich and poor. There's much more to be done with these ideas, and if this film doesn't do enough with them it at least maintains some focus where the third film starts promisingly and ends up sprawling and incoherent.