The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) Reviews

• Apr 26, 2020

Like an artsy, animated version of Cast Away, but depressing. There's also no dialogue in this movie as the only word ever uttered here is "hey!" and it's not often. A magic turtle shows up, gets killed and turns into a woman. Very strange, very random. Also like I said, depressing. It's not bad though.

• Mar 14, 2020

This movie has widespread critical acclaim and has been nominated for every award ever -- because it is blatant award-bait. It has no dialogue, a non-traditional art style, and an emotional plot. Except, the it makes no sense, not even from a metaphorical perspective, it's just completely miserable for no reason and that's it. The art style is simple and boring, and for half the movie is just grey, which is just even more boring, not used to great effect. The lack of dialogue doesn't feel natural like in, say, Wall-E. There clearly should have been dialogue but there wasn't any, to be artsier. Finally, the film was nominated for awards for its music, which stands out only because there's nothing else to this film. On its own, the music is generic and does little to set the tone for individual scenes (because they're all needlessly depressing, so it's just the same time), not anything I would ever be able to recall as notable. And if you decide to live on an island for 60 years with a woman born from a turtle you murdered, maybe at some point BUILD A SHELTER and TEACH HER A LANGUAGE.

• Feb 21, 2020

If you're wondering it's film without any dialogue featuring few characters and one island could be gripping, rest assured, it can be. Somehow, probably it's technical simplicity and prowess, The Red Turtle is a wall-to-wall enticing picture that draws you in The background textures have a 2D textured look that for the first half enhance the feeling of the man's trapping. The music is spare but appropriately sumptuous without being cheesy. The light is very beautiful and the story wistful and Strange and simple. In a way I would have liked to understand the origin or he meaning of the story or be able to divine its themes from it but I don't think I was. Perhaps I need to enjoy it again in the future or read up on it. In a strange way if this film is on TV or streaming, I can't recommend it enough, but I regret paying whatever extortionate amount I did for such a bare bones disc and a slight and vague and sparse film, no matter how beautiful it was.

• Dec 30, 2019

A beautiful, emotionally rich, wordless animation for adults about a man shipwrecked on a desert island, and how his experience there is transformed by an encounter with a red turtle. So many grace notes add depth, humour and subtlety to the film; too many to list now. Large parts of the film may be a riff on parts of the first few chapters of Genesis; whether that's the case or not, the film achieves a striking universality about the human condition which is lyrical and eloquent. Tip; if you don't have access to a great sound system, use of even a half-decent pair of earphones will enhance this no end. The music and sound design is masterful, and there's something special about allowing this film to envelop you.

• Dec 03, 2019

A silent animation that takes you on a journey of survival and purpose. The scenery is astounding and full of detail. The characters are down-to-earth and thoughtful (even the addition of the little crabs add a nice touch of cuteness). Apart from the occasional "Hey!" that is used effectively for multiple purposes, the sound effects are on-point. So much so that it made me feel really relaxed and sent me to sleep on multiple occasions! As a whole, brilliant!

• Nov 16, 2019

Personally I am fed with all these overused words in critic business. But this one is really magical to watch. As a pretty frequent watcher of animated movies this is one of the films that break the cycle of entertainment guaranteed formulation and presents the viewer an eye-opening experience just like the forefathers of the real cinema.

• Sep 25, 2019

"The Red Turtle" is so universal and so emotional in so many ways, yet so deep on a personal level. It's about life, death, solitude, contemplation, etc., I don't know, there are so many things to talk about. This is an enjoyable movie both for adults and children. The movie also has a fast pace. You don't even realize you are watching a theatrical movie, not a short movie. The stunning animation, the bizarre sound design, critical concepts, it's like a fairy tale at night. Another accomplishment in animation.

• Jul 22, 2019

Powerfully animated story line. Well worth watching.

Powerfully animated story line. Well worth watching.

• May 07, 2019

The Red Turtle is a 2016 animated fantasy drama film co-written and directed by Michaël Dudok de Wit. I really enjoyed the first act of this animated movie. The middle section takes a few unexpected directions, with some segments being a little too long and repetitive. But the ending effected me quite deeply, and along with the hauntingly beautiful music, I was reflecting upon this experience long after the credits had rolled. AANA

• Mar 29, 2019

A slow, quiet, reflective slice of beautiful animation from the tag team of Studio Ghibli and Oscar-winning Dutch director Michaël Dudok de Wit. The Red Turtle retains an essence of both parents: Ghibli's well-known inspection and celebration of small detail, plus the director's rich inward gaze and underlying acceptance of both the sweet and the bittersweet in life. Our story tracks the fortunes of a castaway, trapped upon a remote island with enough native food to survive but nothing, save a family of crabs, for companionship. He settles and manages to make an unhappy life for himself until the arrival of a great red sea turtle leads to a sort of dreamlike reverie that lasts the rest of his days. Lovely visual touches reinforce that sense of the ethereal, with a wide palette of shifting colors giving each scene a distinct character. We innately understand the passage of time through such subtle changes, almost as much as we see it upon the bodies of our small cast. It could be called artsy - the slow pace and complete lack of dialog would be enough to merit that backhanded description - so if that variety of film turns you off, look elsewhere. There's an ongoing storyline, but it's rather limited and sluggish. The real riches lie in the expert craftsmanship and the warm, almost fable-like, sense of fulfillment in what life is willing to give us.