The Rewrite Reviews

• Feb 01, 2020

The movie is lost between a bad criticism and a failed comedy that is full of common places and jokes that do not cause grace, only those who mess with the metalanguage

• Oct 03, 2019

Tepid, mediocre rom-com that is fairly predictable. Hugh Grant does his schtick as the stammering, polite Englishman like in all the movies before. Marisa Tomei plays the same sweet romantic female. Nothing memorable, quickly forgettable. What is with Hollywood these days? Where have you gone, Mr. Spielberg? And don't get me started with the critics. Nowadays, if the critics love it, you can count on the movie being formulaic P.C. crap. The same drivel. The one memorable gem in the movie is where Grant's character says he is tired of all the movies featuring a kick ass female, which offends a Jane Austin loving feminist teacher with clout. The irony is that his statement, while meant to be offensive, is actually true about Hollywood today.

• Sep 01, 2019

Hugh Grant stars as Keith Michaels, a long ago academy award winner for his screenplay, who, rejected in Hollywood, takes up a job teaching screenwriting at a College on the other side of the country but even further away from his usual life. And Grant is good in the more mature, less bumbling leading man role. The supporting cast is solid too, with Alison Janney as a stern Jane Austen scholar and Marisa Tomei as a an earnest adult student who brings about the film's themes of second chances and self-acceptance.

• May 25, 2019

Could only get through half of it. It was poorly written, had no pacing, and I have to think that the writer was going through a divorce at the time, given the way women were portrayed. It was a great cast, but Marisa Tomei deserves better, so does Allison Janney and really, every woman that appeared on that screen. Seriously, when one of the two boys (and yes, I use that term derogatively) in the screenwriting class pens a script that is a Star Wars knock-off and gets recommended for production, well...was all of this meant to be irony? Because if we know you're making a comedy and we're laughing going in, maybe that would have explained so much...

• Dec 13, 2018

I enjoyed this movie; watched it twice. While the plot is simple and often predictable, Hugh Grant never fails to amuse and delight!

• Jun 06, 2018

I really enjoyed this film. Hugh Grant and his 'class' are fantastic. Brilliant acting by all concerned. Very likeable movie.

• Jun 03, 2018

I found this little gem of a movie to be much better than the above ratings. The acting is great, the plot is cute, the students right out of casting central with adorable /deplorable personalities. You will recognize the five leads Hugh Grant plays Hugh Grant, which is fine, Melissa Tomei, Allison Janney, and J.T. Simmons are spot on great. Cute, smart, crisp, and delightful and for free if I am not mistaken it is filmed in lovely Binghamton, New York. and L.I.U. on Long Island, NY. I even liked the rain.

• May 16, 2018

I liked the film. Hugh Grant, Marisa Tomei & other actors work well together. I liked the plot. This is not a classic film & doesn't pretend to be but I enjoyed watching the relationships. I'm a 60 year old man who enjoyed my college experiences. This film reminded me what I enjoyed about college.

• Jan 21, 2018

Wonderful movie for budding script writers and romantic comedy lovers to enjoy on a rainy day. Hugh Grant does what he does best by playing the charming Englishman, yet he may not be as charming as you expect. A good movie, if you're a Grant fan.

• Oct 07, 2017

I do enjoy films featuring Marisa Tomei, especially when she is along with the charming Hugh Grant in a poetic setting with references to Fellini and Bergman.