The Sea of Trees Reviews

• 4d ago

Very slow story but I found it somewhat interesting. It kind of peters out at the end but I enjoyed it.

• Jul 13, 2020

SPOILER FREE I'm going to try to go into this as objective as possible, as I just finished this film, along with another one of Gus Van Sant's polarizing recent works (Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot). To preface the review, I enjoyed both films, so if you are someone who is already critical of Van Sant's more recent work, I think my review won't help you. Gus Van Sant's image for this piece was phenomenal, but I will say its biggest downfall comes with the slightly convoluted plot, and occasionally (not often) awkward dialogue. One massive criticism I've seen of the film is its lack to connect with any audience, or deliver any message. I disagree, not only on the basis that not every film should deliver a clear message (ugh Hollywood, and Roger Ebert), but that there are subtle topics within the film that are chillingly familiar to me. I don't think this movie excels in its handling of loss, and many of those themes are played out already, however the ability in which it adequately handles subjects such as alcoholism and non-physical abusive relationships is unmatched. I genuinely have no clue why people weren't talking about this sub-plot, but my word, Van Sant may have been too subtle and intricate with this area that the general viewer could dismiss it as uneventful and unessential. In terms of cinematography, I really enjoyed the warped lens effects used, and the at times nausea-inducing focus points within each shot. I don't know if this is a feature of the film missed, but it adds to the fog that Van Sant seems to want to create around the characters and events -- a sort of un-realness. This may be the film student in me getting to excited about this, but at certain points the lens choice gave me the uncomfortable feeling that I really respect within film ( something that is more typically done with the duration of a shot, or just general subject matter, f.e. Eraserhead). For the average "movie watcher" I'd say Sea of Trees is worth the trip solely for the few (predictably) brutal jumps/action, and some good melodrama. If you have trouble sitting through a movie without constant action, or perfect dialogue (which imo this does not have), that is also quite slow, don't bother you'll find entertainment elsewhere. As for avid film watchers, give it a shot, and don't go into it with the basis that you need to not like it because a bunch of film critics don't think any subject matter is widely applicable enough for the movie to hit home.

• Apr 26, 2019

Sad and interesting. Big fan of Matthew Mccaughney

Sad and interesting. Big fan of Matthew Mccaughney

• Jan 08, 2019

I watched this movie and can tell is more of a movie to watch home not in a cinema. It is very private and deep, I liked the twist in the end, I did not expect it. The message is very beautiful too: loving someone after death and understanding death. While communication is scarce, the clues are in the details (the tents and strings in the woods signify doubt). I do recommend it.

• Jan 03, 2019

Obviously anyone who hasn't experienced great loss can not understand the magnitude of how great this movie really is and how much it conveys ....

• Dec 20, 2018

A fine, sensitive, thoughtful movie, compelling not only because of the setting, situation, and action, but because of the emotional catalyst that allows two strangers who were ready to die form a bond as they struggle to survive in the forest, and face their demons. The low ratings it received convince me that many critics are too jaded and should find other occupations.

• Dec 08, 2018

I loved this movie! A movie with the Suicide Forest as a setting caught my attention from the beginning, but the well woven plot kept me watching until the well written ending.

• Dec 04, 2018

I really loved this movie. The meaning behind it everything about. Excellent

I really loved this movie. The meaning behind it everything about. Excellent

• Dec 02, 2018

Another movie that takes an amazing actor and gives him no personality. Too slow and not enough connection to the characters for the viewers to really care.

• Nov 30, 2018

Created an account to help the rating. Starts slow, hard blows, but leaves me romantic in a dark way. A film about suicide that makes me want to live, and I'm on disability for PTSD/depression. Lifted me up.