The Single Moms Club Reviews

• Feb 06, 2020

This is my first experience with a Tyler Perry film, and I have to say that it was worse than I expected. I didn’t think it was going to be a great work of cinema, but I at least thought there would be some fun moments with a lot of heart. Sadly, there was almost nothing fun about it, with the exception of some comedy delivered by Cocoa Brown. She actually has some solid line delivery that creates humor from unfunny lines. Aside from her, even the outtakes during the credits weren’t good for a laugh. The film has too many main characters, so none of these women get to take center stage for long enough. They all have their own stories, and their own issues with their kids, but we can’t spend time to develop those plotlines because there’s always another one coming. The whole thing feels slapped together on the fly, as if no one cared about thinking through what makes a good story. Case in point, the sloppy plot device that forces the Moms to come together is ludicrous. The Single Moms Club is something they actually form in the film, after being told by their kids’ teacher they have to work together, and it lasts for a few scenes at most. Then moments later we’re supposed to be all upset that this quintet, which was hastily thrown together, has fallen apart. Perhaps the most embarrassing aspect of the film is that it spends a decent amount of time trying to empower these women, so they can run a household on their own. Then the movie spends the rest of the time making sure they all have a new man because their lives apparently weren’t complete without one after all. It’s amazing how dated this feels, and how out-of-touch Tyler Perry must be to think it’s the right trajectory for this story. The writing as a whole is terrible, almost all of the comedy falls flat, the kids don’t act like real kids, and the “heartfelt” resolutions at the end all feel hollow. On the whole, The Single Moms Club is roughly on par with a Hallmark Channel movie.

• Sep 13, 2016

SO cheesy and SO ridiculous. But somehow...still kind of fulfilling. Like ready a cheap fantasy paperback.

• Jul 09, 2016

This is just the worst film EVER.

This is just the worst film EVER.

• Feb 07, 2016

once again Tyler Perry proves he's only out for himself making these millennial blaxportation movies. Thanks for keeping the black stereotype alive.

• Sep 10, 2015

A realistic story of a single mom trying to keep her life together.

A realistic story of a single mom trying to keep her life together.

• Sep 10, 2015

It's charming in a humorous way yet doesn't seem as entertaining by the end.

It's charming in a humorous way yet doesn't seem as entertaining by the end.

• Aug 28, 2015

This is a decent cast and could actually have been a watchable movie with a better, less cliche storyline and a director who understood the importance of pacing. As it is, it's just too hard to watch. I made it through a half hour before turning it off...life's too short. I love the Madea movies (some of the storylines are crap but Madea is hilarious). Lesson learned: for me, a Tyler Perry movie needs Madea.

• Jul 07, 2015

it was a bit cheesy at times. I was wondering who was looking after the kids and doing their job when they were meeting up for drinks in the afternoons... perhaps it was over the weekends mostly? I was confused with Hilary, has a second child and acted like she just ended up babysitting it? like... it is your second baby, you have done this before. Anyway some parts were a bit too much, funny at one point and then suddenly sad at another and also at some bits eye-roll worthy. It seems to be a a film about empowering women yet in the end, they are happy as they got their men (lady, however successful/happy you are, it is nothing if you don't have have a man by your side). All in all, if there is nothing else on tv, not even some cartoonst hat you might watch, might as well watch it. P.S. Nia Long was good.

• Jul 05, 2015

I very much enjoyed this movie. Loved the story lines , characters and their dynamics. One of my favorite Tyler Perry movies.

• May 09, 2015

I enjoyed this very much. I feel it just scratched the surface of what single families face. Having friends to lean on or just to talk to works wonders. The support group idea was excellant.