The Snowtown Murders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Snowtown Murders Reviews

½ November 1, 2018
Couldn't stand this movie it's too brutal
July 30, 2018
This is the best Australia film that has been made in the past decade. It devote so much time to the bleak poverty of the edges of Adelaide. The cast is amazing and the material is truly disturbing. Such a powerful film.
½ January 15, 2018
Movie can get slow at times, but that's done on purpose to set the desired atmosphere. Overall the acting is great and the plot hits you like a punch to the gut.
October 7, 2017
Dark and disturbing in equal measure, this is an intelligent and well-acted character study about the roots of fascism within someone who wants an excuse to act on his psychopathy, as well as within those who accept to be led like cattle by the ones who are in power.
September 25, 2017
Gripping. Harrowing. If you can manage through the Aussie accents, this story of how a charismatic, machismo figure can burrow into the heart of a group and subvert the whole magilla is one hell of a ride. Like a true rollercoaster, it starts slowly, and the work plays so nearly like a documentary (without the voiceover) that it's hard to determine what's going on at first, but then you know, and like the characters on the screen the question becomes how to deal with what you know. Impressive filmmaking. And the most low-key acting I think I have ever seen, acting w/o acting. Most impressive.
½ August 4, 2017
Gritty true life story of Australians most notorious serial killer, similar to Hounds of Love a tough watch with some good performances and a very similar feel to Shane Meadows
½ July 27, 2017
I love movies about real life crime. This has a good story behind it and some of the parts were intriguing. But at times the movie was hard to follow and jumped around a bit. There were no reasons why some of the people were killed, and there was nothing to show on how the character of John and the mother met. There were some powerful scenes but I gave a 2.5 because I wouldn't watch it again. I'm a bit surprised this has an 86% rating.
July 15, 2017
Couldn't take but the first 20 minutes then had to let it go. Didn't like the conversations, the actors, the direction the film was going (whatever that was) nor the speed at which it was moving. Wasted my time.
April 27, 2017
strange, creepy and very slow moving
½ March 25, 2017
Once you have the only character, and a child no less, that we might actually care about shooting a dog I'm out.
January 16, 2017
Captivating and disgusting in equal measures, this slow burner of a movie about one of Australia's most brutal serial killers is fascinating, if you have the patience and maybe stomach for it.
January 6, 2017
Snowtown, or The Snowtown Murders, is the directorial debut of Justin Kurzel, and it stars Daniel Henshall as John Bunting, the dangerous serial killer in Australia, and Lucas Pittaway in a biographical crime film about a boy who's getting abused by family and a boyfriend of his mother's, and when the mother realized what happened to the family because of the boyfriend, she got help from people where she was introduced to John Bunting, whom he despises people who abuse other people, and Jamie (Lucas Pittaway) is starting to appreciate and question John's view of some people. This has been on my Netflix for so long, that when I'm noticing the director's work with films, including Assassin's Creed, and watch the trailer for this recently, I was interested to see what it's about. Turns out I wasn't expecting the film to be the most depressing film that I've seen in years, or one of the most ever, and I actually enjoyed it very much. The acting is great that I didn't until after watching the film that almost all the actors in it never actually have acting experience, and it made it feel real. The cinematography made it feel like it was a documentary, like it was something that people shouldn't see cause it looked like something that's happening in real-life time. The characters are very memorable that with the actions they've done, make it hard to forget about them. The writing by Shaun Grant, along with some story elements from the same writer and Justin Kurzel himself, understands a lot about their moral views, and it manages to keep itself interesting despite having a slow and bleak pacing. The score by Jed Kurzel is pretty chilling to listen, especially when it does the electronic music which is rare to hear that type of music be creepy. This movie is not for anyone as it's depressing to watch, it's slow, although not too slow for me to find boring, and some of disturbing stuff can be a bit too much for some viewers, but for the people who don't mind this type of film, Snowtown is quite something to watch, and I'm curious to see more of the director's work.
January 6, 2017
Another film thats been in my Netflix queue for literally 5 years and I just go to it. There's probably a reason it was there that long because quite frankly I did not like this one at all. Jamie Vlassakis (Lucas Pittaway) and his brothers get sexually abused while their mother is away. This destroys the young boys lives until a man named John (Daniel Henshall) begins seeing their mother and runs Troy (Anthony Groves) the man who sexually assaulted the boys out of the neighborhood. John is a homophobic man with very violent tendencies, but Jamie not having a father figure latches onto John's believes and slowly begins turning into a much different person than he ever thought he would be. One by one the neighborhood starts cleaning up, but people start to go missing. The film just wasn't for me. The depictions of violence and rape in it were very unsettling for me and I just didn't care much for the characters. I didn't like how it ended...it feels almost incomplete on top of that. This won't be for a majority of viewers. It's well acted, but the plot itself was just something i didn't care for.
December 9, 2016
Brutal, so I would not recommend this to a weak stomach person.
½ November 20, 2016
hmm i did not like this; it's eye opening because it's a true story... but as far as movie-wise, i have to agree with some other reviews i read -- it's slow & sometimes all the yelling/talking gave me a headache.
October 22, 2016
the vibe was like "animal kingdom," a flick i really enjoyed. it's hazy and gritty and emotional and tough to watch sometimes. it was also very difficult to follow. it took a fair amount of reading after the fact (and during the fact) to figure out who was who and why they were doing what they were doing. ultimately, the finer details didn't really matter that much since the outcome was the same-we were witnessing murders being committed.

so yeah, if it was told in a more straightforward way instead of relying on tons of implied clues via very rapid dialogue, it'd be a masterpiece. i read that the filmmakers assumed you had a basic knowledge of the case, which makes sense, but doesn't help a ton in my case when i wanna go in with zero knowledge and be shocked. good film though, no denying that.
½ October 2, 2016
From the opening scene the movie caught my eye with the very aesthetic of the filmography. The grainy filter and the very grim tone automatically drew me in and quite easily set the mood for the entire movie. But this movie doesn't just appeal to your eyes, it appeals to your emotions and opens up feelings inside of you that you might not know you even had. The Snowtown Murders will kill a part of you, whether it's your innocence or your peace of mind, almost as easily as John Bunting takes down pedophiles and homosexuals throughout the movies entirety.
Though some scenes were (very) hard to stomach, I also found it difficult to take my eyes off the screen. So much of me longed to know what was going to happen next, no matter how unnerving the scenes became. Not knowing if a gun was going to be fired, all the way to hearing the sickening tear of a man's toenail being ripped off as he's being tortured in a bathroom. These scenes drove the plot forward, doing exactly what they were made to do; depict the real life murder scenes in order to generate shock, discomfort, and stir up intense emotions deep inside of viewers.
Now, as I didn't long for more gruesome scenes, I was left wishing there had been more character development. There were no straightforward insights as to what is going on inside any of the character's heads, rather we are left to rely on subtext to answer our questions. I found myself wanting to know what was going on inside Jamie's head on a consistent basis. I spent the entire movie feeling a variety of emotions towards him. One can't help but feel bad for the boy who is manipulated into killing by his newfound "father-figure" after being sexually exploited by his mother's old boyfriend and later raped by his own brother, and you want to comfort him, yet run away at the same time.
This movie won't get your adrenaline pumping with jump scares every few seconds, but it will leave you feeling uneasy with a chill down your spine. It will leave you wanting more, but also wanting so much less at the same time. One thing that I know for certain after watching this is that the very profound thought that monsters are real and are among us every day of our lives disguised as normal people, is very real.
½ August 9, 2016
A real life horror story that becomes increasingly difficult to watch with every scene, but somehow steers clear of exploitation while still having the courage to take unnerving risks.
August 6, 2016
The theme is quite disturbing the screenplay is very powerful and the acting is very efficient .A must watch
½ July 23, 2016
Worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely horrifying.