The Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strangers Reviews

½ June 14, 2017
I'm done with these new horror movies.
½ June 10, 2017
There are a few horror elements that really work in this film but the stupidity of their protagonists makes the film suck. It doesn't have a purpose at all. But the music really gives you the creeps.
June 5, 2017
This was masterfully done. Bryan Bertino wrote a great script full of suspense. The atmosphere was full on creepy and old school. He got the thrills without over the top gore. Liv Tyler was AMAZING!!! The couple did what most couples would do in that situation making it all to real. Great job to the cast and crew.
½ May 28, 2017
A movie with so much potential, but is ruined by its weak characters.
½ May 20, 2017
The strangers is a simple film about a couple in a secluded house being invaded by masked nutters. There is very little narrative and hardly any character development. Not much is revealed either what the masked people's motive is either. None the less this film really built itself up on suspense and was rather tense throughout. Not the best horror to see but its a film that passes time.
½ April 25, 2017
Sadistic sick twisted film. If and when they finally do come out with Strangers 2, I have absolutely no intentions on watching it. Furthermore I will detour any and everyone I know that shows any interest in either film what a complete waste of time they are. Liv Tyler is a very talented actress, but this movie is WAY beneath her. Quite frankly I was shocked to see her choose such a sadistic movie script even though she plays the victim. Such a stupid movie on all fronts. Don't even waste your time. If you do, you're a very bored person.......... hated it.
April 23, 2017
I liked this film. I liked the seventies feel and I thought it was an old fashioned horror movie that didn't try to be too clever. I thought the masks they wore were a bit dumb though.
April 7, 2017
Anchored by powerful performances from Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, The Strangers blends gut-wrenching anxiety with devastating relationship drama in a lean home invasion chiller that relies solely on tension and suspense -- and proves loud noises, a secluded setting and old-fashioned music can be all it takes to make a quality horror film.
DrStrangeblog
April 2, 2017
Very disappointing and that it spends the first 20 minutes in anchor steam marital drama, and then relies too heavily on ambient offscreen noise For its scares. There is very little actual violence or action, which is fine, but you need more than the sound of footsteps and clanging metal to jangle my nerves.
March 20, 2017
A well crafted, well acted and subtly creepy film that buckles under cliched horror film tropes and a paper thin story.
½ March 7, 2017
A sharp and genuinely scary slow burn thriller. Gorgeously shot and briskly paced with plenty of kick.
February 9, 2017
One of the most realistic horror shows of all time.
February 5, 2017
What I Liked about this film is that it was very scary And It had a lot of loud scenes That's what I liked so much about it GOOD JOB!!! HAVE A COOKIE!
December 30, 2016
The Strangers has tension to spare. It's the very antithesis of claustrophobia. It's a tad too workmanlike to really elevate itself from the rank and file of the genre. It's good for a spell, it's a quick kill. Nasty, dirty, fast and cheap; unfortunately...just not strange enough.
½ December 28, 2016
I was really surprised by all the negative reviews for this film. Then again, it's all subjective. I found this "based on a true story" to be gripping and intense with some great scares. A "things that go bump in the night" setup for some true terror, including a very disturbing climax. Watch with all the lights out and the volume LOUD.
November 26, 2016
An offensively cliche movie made wonderful by plainly good performances and a delightfully simple plot. Easy, scary watch that arguably knows its place and takes full advantage of that by riddling it with textbook dialogue and a lot of distressed Liv Tyler.
November 4, 2016
As delivering scares go, The Strangers does not fail you. Apparently based on some frightening true events, it's a very good and disturbing home invasion flick with good actors, a lot of shadow use and a camera that doesn't always stay still, which gave me the impression of a lot of movement going on. It's a rather simple plot, but it's truly on scary movie. Recommended !!
November 2, 2016
Pros: The mystery/suspense part of the movie. It keeps you guessing and you're not sure what the bad guys' next move is going to be. The concept of the movie is pretty good and not a direct copy of other movies.

Cons: Though the suspense is good, it seems to never reach its full potential. Why did the villains do what they did? What was their motive? Also, it would have been nice to know more about them. I had the feeling, at some point, there was going to be too much violence in this movie...and in the end, there was very very little(a bad thing because it seems the movie is leading you to think that way).

Overall though, it was good and enjoyable. And though it is a little slow at times, it was NOT boring. I would rate it 6/10 OR 3/5
½ October 17, 2016
My favorite scary movie
½ October 15, 2016
Brilliantly Creepy, and suspenseful in every way. This movie had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Who would've thought someone knocking on your door could end up like that. It only makes it more creepy that it actually happened!