The Strangers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strangers Reviews

½ October 17, 2016
My favorite scary movie
½ October 15, 2016
Brilliantly Creepy, and suspenseful in every way. This movie had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Who would've thought someone knocking on your door could end up like that. It only makes it more creepy that it actually happened!
½ September 22, 2016
This movie is No Bloody But its so scaryyy?
½ August 23, 2016
I just couldn't have fun with this one. I came in knowing the outcome and I basically watched the outcome unfold. It was scary, but not the kind of scary that's fun.
August 19, 2016
Feels like a confused mix between a thriller and a horror film. Has an incredibly weak ending. All that said, there are a few effective creepy moments.
½ August 3, 2016
An inconceivably horrid display of sadism with an amount of stupidity that I can't remember seeing before (and I wanted to punch Bertino in the face for raping my brains like this), relying on two characters who seem to be competing as most shockingly stupid of all time. (Zero stars)
½ July 27, 2016
Crappy movie with no scares.
July 13, 2016
Very good movie. The film does well to deliver a thrilling, slow-burning, chilling story that is terrifying in how real it feels and thanks to solid performances from its two leads.
½ July 13, 2016
this movie is just another invasion movie but the way they delivered it was exciting and was never boring
½ June 30, 2016
I was really surprised by all the negative reviews for this film. Then again, it's all subjective. I found this based on a true story movie to be gripping and intense with some great scares. A "things that go bump in the night" setup for some true terror, including a very disturbing climax. Watch with all the lights out and the volume LOUD.
June 30, 2016
scariest movie that I have ever seen...can't get past the first knock on the door. I have seen it once but have tried several times to watch it again and can't.
June 30, 2016
There was one truly scary scene. Otherwise it's just hard to empathize with a woman too stupid to put on shoes or call 911.
June 30, 2016
The "home invasion" horror film stripped down to its bare essentials. What's start out very intriguing with the sadness of a couple, quickly turns to anticipation and dread with the introduction of these "strangers". I like the time the film takes to get going and I love the silences between the two lovers. It explores the feeling of rejection quite truthfully. I suppose there is a bit of a cautionary tale thing going on here: don't take your home and relationships for granted. Liv Tyler does an excellent job and best of all the characters aren't stupid. That said, the problem is after an hour of build-up, there isn't that much of a pay-off. Like Blair Witch Project, the film might work well on first viewing but since the entire story hinges upon anticipation, there really isn't that much mileage out of the film. I like the ambiguous ending but I felt a little cheated. I wish the film dared to go a bit more epic. The last twenty minutes felt too repetitive. Suspenseful, yes. Memorable, no.
½ June 27, 2016
Is this a snuff film?
½ June 17, 2016
The Strangers isn't a typical slasher, or horror for that matter, in the sense that it's not what's on screen that's scaring you, it's the idea. The Strangers is much scarier than most horror films and especially slasher films because there is no motive for the villains, all they're there to do is psychologically torture the two main characters until the very scary ending. The Strangers is a misunderstood horror movie that may suffer from blandness at times, but is nonetheless an undeniably scary, very underrated modern horror movie
June 15, 2016
The Strangers is a terrible film but still scared me. Weird
½ June 10, 2016
It is atrocious the camera is absolutely laughable no scares. The best part was me and my brother making fun of it.
May 27, 2016
Loved the layout of the story and the "un-Hollywood" ending.
April 29, 2016
Deftly Blending gut-wrenching anxiety with devastating relationship drama, The Strangers makes for a viscerally frightening experience that proves loud noises and a middle-of-the-woods setting are the key to slow-building suspense -- and showcases the arrival of three new villains taking center stage in the genre.