The Tower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tower Reviews

October 17, 2016
película maravillosa, perfecta.
½ March 4, 2016
I found The Tower to be a great film but the character chemistry and lack of being a unique or a different disaster film really affected the how much I enjoyed the film.

As the film went on i enjoyed it more and more but the beginning did lack.
½ October 20, 2015
Effects are OK but the film is so stereotypical plus melodramatic.
September 20, 2015
Korean movies are so entertaining!!
½ June 26, 2015
A bit long, but still a decent action adventure. I think this may have been loosely based on an American film as well. Which was based on a true story.

Worth watching.
½ June 2, 2015
A disaster movie that is a bit too similar to the 9/11 attacks. This pyrotechnic extravaganza is light on plot and character development, but the action sequences with the fires and the floods keep your mind off nonsense like that. The acting is okay, except I didn't care for the young actresses ability much. This gets the adrenal glands working, which is what disaster movies are supposed to do.
May 11, 2015
It was entertaining enough.
May 1, 2015
amazing movie, perfect.
½ March 14, 2015
It's The Towering Inferno meets Backdraft. The Tower is a little predictable and a few scenes ran a little too long, but this Korean disaster film is a gem with some of the best firefighting action since Backdraft.
½ February 25, 2015
Though it is basically The Towering Inferno in South Korea it does set itself apart from that movie in various ways (good and bad). It firstly has action that is on par if not better, it is way more gruesome in how depicts the deaths of people caught up in this disaster and it is more a spectacle however it lacks in the character department, there are way too many 'heroic' moments and it is depressing as hell at the end.
January 7, 2015
extraordinary movie
January 2, 2015
Good movie. Well done. Funny moments and sad ones.
December 31, 2014
Another incredibly shot, graded, and actual good use of cgi from director Ji-Hoon (check out Sector 7) and all shot with my camera makes it even more inspiring. Colors, so many pretty colors......grughgngghghg
September 25, 2014
a fairly big budget movie that has summer blockbuster shining all over it but....it's foreign and has very similar events to 9/11. I don't think lots of people will watch it for that reason alone but it is a good watch none the less.
September 13, 2014
it takes a while to start but when it does it makes for a fast paced thrill ride.
½ June 26, 2014
Too cheesy, but it's got some good action scenes.
May 23, 2014
This was dull as hell, except for some scenes with the key firefighter.
½ May 3, 2014
Director of "Sector 7" returns with an homage to the World Trade Center. A luxury residential high rise is on fire and the sprinklers don't work! The long build up until the accident allows for plenty of foreshadowing and character development. Repeated tragedies occur, a group of Christians provide the comedy relief. Tense and suspenseful. The ending is cliche, but the effects and acting aren't hurt by it.
½ April 25, 2014
I was very hopeful when I found out that Korea was making its own disaster films. Yes, I love disaster films! And no, I have no idea why!

Anyway, the first half hour here is character setup, which is pretty normal for most disaster films. Here, that half hour is pretty much comedy, which is probably why IMDb lists "Comedy" as one of this film's genre types.

When the disaster hits, it hits hard! It's very visceral, and is R-Rated, unlike in other disaster movies from the past. I was impressed with that.

The next hour is rescue of who can be rescued, and contemplation about how they can stop the fire, and save the twin skyscraper next door. The solution has some real issues.

(BEGIN SPOILERS) They decide to knock down the burning skyscraper, resulting in a way-too-9/11 sequence of the tower coming down almost like the World Trade Center towers did. And, the aftermath has the smoking plume of dust rising into the sky, just like on 9/11.

As you can imagine, I found that highly disturbing, as there were certainly other paths they could have taken. Plus, as we saw on 9/11, having a skyscraper like that come down so violently could critically damage other buildings nearby. Here, the skyscraper right next to it almost certainly would have been shaken to the point that it too would be uninhabitable. (END SPOILERS)

So, for the disaster section itself, and for some of the rescue, I was very impressed. But, I have very real issues with the end of this movie.
April 21, 2014
The best disaster movie I've ever seen. You can watch it on Netflix. Great effects, good story with very good acting.