The Wailing (Goksung) Reviews

• 3d ago

The Wailing is a breath of fresh air in modern horror, where the mainstream relies on jumpscares and jarring music to imitate fear (even critically acclaimed 'slow' horror directors of the past decade are largely guilty of employing these tricks to some degree), Na Hong-jin instead adopts a completely different tactic by imparting a sense of genuine mystery; this confusion is not limited to the actual perpetrator behind the strange events in Gokseong, but about the rules of the universe itself. Like Kwak's Jong-goo, the audience is left completely in the dark about the extent of the capability of the dark powers that he must contend with, as well as who can be effectively trusted, when the lives of his family are on the line. In this way, I think the employment of both traditional Korean and classic Western horror elements is very much to the film's benefit, as no viewer can be completely confident in what will come next. Atmospheric and a slow crawl, The Wailing is a truly exceptional example of developing the setting and mood as you would a traditional character (accentuated by great cinematography), and should be considered a novel and attention-grabbing take on the genre that can be enjoyed by a global audience. (4.5/5)

• Nov 18, 2020

Extremely original horror movie that combines different genres in one: Crime, thriller, comic, analytical, etc. What did I like the most about the movie? You have to become a detective to get your own conclusion about what happened and figure out the end result. Rich in details: Music, clothing, acting, special effects, etc. A total gem!

• Nov 07, 2020

A bit of a mind**** but worth the long running time, but it's numerous twists and turns might be a turn off for some who like their stories more linear.

• Nov 05, 2020

A twisty and turny horror/thriller done right. It takes directions you least expect, and delievers a bone-chilling ending.

• Oct 27, 2020

Tense, violent and entertaining. Great disturbing imagery. I'm not sure it totally makes sense, but it deals with the supernatural so that doesn't matter. Some of the acting is overblown, sometimes to comedic effect (yay), but later for dramatic effect (meh). The little girl is always on point though.

• Oct 17, 2020

The only reason I didnt give it the full 5 stars is because it's very long. But it's evil, disturbing, twisted and phenomenal. There is so much you have to pay attention to throughout, which gets difficult given its length. When everything finally comes together, it's so well done. I read someone say The Exorcist meets Silence of the Lambs after watching it, and I couldn't agree more, but with an ending as twisted as The Wicker Man. A must watch if you have two-and-a-half free hours and no distractions so you can focus on as many details as possible.

• Sep 26, 2020

Extremly convoluted, poorly communicated, with possible racist implications. Rotten!

• Sep 19, 2020

I was pretty excited for this movie after my friend suggested me & also after seeing film's high rating. In starting, film was going in good pace but after 45 minutes I was not able to take it anymore. It was unnecessary stretched. The director could have shown us much better in 2hr 30min. In between the movie, I was confused if I was watching horror or drama movie. I can keep on going on how bad this movie is compared to the reviews you read here. Overall, will not recommend this movie. Will recommend you to see better movies of same runtime (2hr 30min).

• Aug 27, 2020

A masterpiece of modern horror. very creepy, it’s Silence of the Lambs meets the Exorcist, Even though it has a long running time and it’s in subtitles, it pulls you into its dark and spooky story and delivers the scares.

• Aug 25, 2020

This horror movie is completely Christian. There are many factors that only Christians can know. Begin by reading Bible verses from the beginning of the movie.