The Watermelon Woman Reviews

• Oct 30, 2020

This films intention was great! However the film itself was terrible. The acting in this film was upsetting and was something that you would see in a high school video project. The writing was just an attempt write how humans talk and being as human as possible is not drama. While the intention and obstacle of the characters were somewhat clear, the stakes were not high at all which made the film extremely boring and easy to make the viewer uninterested. The editing of this film looked as if it were edited using iMovie, extremely choppy and the lack of establishing shots made it impossible to know where the characters were. Lastly, there was absolutely no timeline in this film, it was filmed in such a way that there was no way to tell whether it look place in the span of eleven days or eleven months. Overall, this film had a great message but was done as if it were a high school video project.

• Oct 06, 2020

This is perhaps one of the worst movies I ever had the displeasure of being forced to watch and pretend was some pretentious piece of art for an essay. This is, ironically, as poorly constructed from top to bottom as the shit on the bottom shelf at a video store. Absolutely unbearable in every way imaginable. Many of my half star ratings are on principle. I legitimately believe this film deserves it.

• Sep 09, 2020

Important for it’s subject only. The great reviews are reviewing the intent, not the film. The film itself is poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted. Sophomoric on all levels but for what it wants to be. The equivalent of the most horrible open mic poetry night, about something important.

• Jul 20, 2020

The Watermellon Woman sheds searing light on how old Hollywood failed its talented black performers, while also laying bare issues of our current social landscape (1997 is not so long ago). Dunye sets a high bar with what may seem lofty subject matter for a narrative feature, but the experience of the film is light and easy. We begin at a wedding where we our introduced to our protagonist and her best friend. Within minutes, the characters and themes are effortlessly made clear, but it's executed in a sort of charming and messy seamlessness. Indeed, the formal elements of filmmaking combine a documentary aesthetic along with a dialed down cinema verite approach, following Cheryl on her adventures in and around Philadelphia. There's a sure hand and a boldness of approach accompanied by unadulterated performances that's refreshing and keeps the experience digestible - not faltering into the trappings of becoming teachy, preachy or pedantic in any way. Dunye does a great service to the viewer in inviting them to do more than just that, view. There are important things to be seen, shortcomings to be noticed, assumptions to be considered. As soon as we spend a moment to look more closely, to inspect, to reflect, we have a chance to rethink the ways of the world. That's an affirming and powerful notion to be gleaned from a film.

• Jun 05, 2020

Tightly directed with clear sense of purpose and crackling intelligence, it's astounding how contemporary, and a bit sad how provocative, this tour de force remains even today.

• Feb 26, 2020

The Watermelon Woman is a 1996 American romantic comedy-drama film written, directed, and edited by Cheryl Dunye 🍿 Oof, this is rotten 🙁 Don't bother seeing it 👎🏼👎🏼

• Feb 26, 2017

The content was very interesting. The film itself wasn't. The only one who could act was the Tamara character. This looks like a well shot home movie with characters who couldn't act all that well. apparently the main characters mother and another elderly woman are the only two straight people in Philadelphia. But she did have a great topic. Had this just remained a documentary style as she intended it would have been much better.

• Dec 12, 2015

The Watermelon Woman is a fascinating look at the way black lesbian women communicate today and how the depictions of black women in the media and classic films inform their current situations. The fact that it goes several layers of fiction deep, fabricating a gay black actress from the 1930s and having actors present themselves as if they actually knew her or knew of her while simultaneously including a narrative from the present acts as a brilliant comment on the ways in which the histories of black and lesbian women have been documented over time. The performances are a little stiff, but that really doesn't matter in a film so filled with ideas and so intelligently put together.

• Jun 04, 2015

An interesting story and a good movie

An interesting story and a good movie

• Aug 25, 2012

It might have been an ok movie if it were true...

It might have been an ok movie if it were true...