The Whistleblower Reviews

• Nov 17, 2018

I'm giving this movie a 10 not because I think it's perfect but because some of the negative reviews from the critics made me so angry. Sometimes, I think critics are all about self-importance and sounding "critical" more than they are about the quality or strength of a movie. This film is difficult to watch but so important. It's not a movie for the sake of making a movie but a revelation. It hit me in the gut, exactly where it was meant to. It made think about this world and my country at present. It's a tough reality but it sheds light on a painful truth. The fight between good and evil is a close match and it reminded me that if you stand for good you better stand now. The scenes are real and sometimes brutally authentic. Rachel Weisz does an outstanding job of portraying Kathryn Bolkovac. Her character has lost her daughter in a custody suite and thus her deep emotional involvement with the young girls who are victims of human trafficking into the sexual slave market is better understood. I do think her own fading relationship with her daughter could have been emphasized more to remind us she is fueled not only by her job and her natural humanity but her maternal instincts. Please don't miss this powerful film because you think it might be upsetting and especially not because of the critics. Allow it to motivate you for justice because God knows, this world needs to work for it everyday.

• Nov 05, 2018

The U.N. was involved in sex trafficking throughout Bosnia during the late 90's. Think about that statement for a moment. Think about the implications behind what's just been said there. It's absolutely mind-boggling. And it's the thematic spine of Larysa Kondracki's "The Whistleblower," a cutting, stomach-churning look at some of the hardest truths about failed diplomacy that I've ever seen in a film. This is a rough go, that's for sure. And definitely not for the faint of heart. But it's the pathos and energy of Rachel Weisz's lead performance that ultimately keeps you in your seat, willing enough to see through the dingy, piss-to-a-boil-inducing amorality on display in some scenes. This is a movie that I'm glad happened about a series of events that I'm absolutely disgusted happened. It should be witnessed by all.

• Jul 01, 2018

An intelligently thrilling and dramatic film, this one shed light on the ever-growing issue of human trafficking. Rachel Weisz is superb as the down-on-her luck divorcee who takes a job in Bosnia to earn money to move closer to her kids. She ends up spearheading an effort to stop corruption at the highest levels that involve trafficking women. Based on a true story, this movie will urge you to find out more about real life events. Given the movie is 7 years old, I had to wonder what became of this fantastic actress after this movie, as she has serious star power. I googled her to find out she is married to Daniel Craig.So if you're married to James Bond you probably get all the excitement you need at home. Nonetheless, I would like to see her in future spy/action movies. The issue this movie centers on is current and timely, and I also recommend viewers interested in the subject to watch Mira Sorvino's mini-series "Trafficked"

• Jun 23, 2018

A serious movie. Well made

A serious movie. Well made

• Apr 01, 2018

This is a film made specifically to highlight an important issue, it's not entertainment fodder. The performances, especially from Weisz, brought me to tears more than once. The Whistleblower is a highly charged, emotionally intense film, but like I said not for the faint of heart and not for you if you're in the mood to be uplifted. read more https://alatenightin.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/the-whistleblower/

• Oct 28, 2017

This movie ??But so important.

This movie ??But so important.

• Sep 23, 2017

Excellent movie exposing the sick and corrupted world of human trafficking. More of us need to stand up to it. I am all for vigilantism because the justice system is too corrpt to help. F'ing men. I hate them all. We women were not put here for you to exploit, abuse and kill. This movie triggered all my hatred and rage all over again.

• Aug 24, 2017

What an intense movie. I'm proud of the women involved in the actual events in Bosnia and the women involved in making the movie. I continue to be amazed at the cruelty of humans. I'm glad this time it didn't stay hidden in the darkness.

• Jul 28, 2017

The Whistleblower filled me with rage against the scum who would do this to minor girls! And that it happens under UN "protection" is more than criminal! These people all deserve to be eternally damned to the same treatment in hell. That would be justice! What courage it must have taken to out them! The film itself was horrifying and gripping and I found myself glued to the screen. The actors were excellent and the story was well told, although I did wonder what the heck Benedict Cumberbatch's character was doing in it. He seemed to have no place in the script. Otherwise, this films shakes you to your core, and exposed a travesty in the UN's "protection" of Bosnia

• Jun 04, 2017

Informative, but I'm not the biggest fan of Weisz.

Informative, but I'm not the biggest fan of Weisz.