The Whistleblower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Whistleblower Reviews

December 4, 2016
Repugnante historia del tráfico humano que aún sufrimos en este mundo. Rabia da pensar que la gente que se supone confiamos es la que nos traiciona. Rachel como siempre fantástica
September 7, 2016
Even though it is inconsistent in pacing and a better effort could have been done to trim the film down, the second half's faster pace and Rachel Weisz's captivating performance dominated and powered the film to deliver its message about the horrifying subject matter.
June 18, 2016
Three points:
1) Extra half-star here for the subject matter being an ongoing and seldom-covered atrocity (as opposed to yet another Holocaust film or somesuch).
2) I dreaded seeing this myself to be honest, but it turned out to be well, well worth it. Like so many of Weisz's projects. (How surprised I would be if SHE turned out to be a shit person.)
3) This is the sort of "strong female character" I'll wholeheartedly celebrate. Not the poser bullshit so fashionable these days. Just as douchebags come in both sexes and are most-equally gross, so do genuinely awesome motherfuckers like Bolkovac and Weiz.
½ April 2, 2016
Not exactly a feel good film, but one that raises issues about the limitations of the UN and how it organises operations.
March 17, 2016
Great movie trying to depict this horrible truth about human nature to the general public. I truly believe it is a must watch so as to have our eyes open, even if a little bit, to this global issue. Power is in numbers, so the more people are aware, the more we can make a difference for the better!
___
What disturbs me the most was reading some of the critics people left, when people reviewing these types of films have trouble understanding or refuse to open their minds and realise that this level of violence is even worse in the real world, and on a globalscale, sadly. That these unfortunate events are not simply colluded and stitched together to add "drama". Perhaps it's to help these people sleep better at night, thus they rather keep their eyes closed. I don't blame them. But no, the world is messed up, more than people think, and it cannot start to change for the better if people refuse to acknowledge the full scale of violence. It is easy to critic from the comfort of one's sofa, in the safety of one's home. It is easy to critic it as a simple movie. "[Bolokovac] is not an interesting character to say the least" said one critic. Really? Why. Because she had a mundane life, problems like hundred of thousands of middle class people experience? Because she one day started uncovering a sex trafficking ring. and instead of going back to her less than interesting mundane life, she decided to expose it? Because trying to fight a well entrenched acceptance of it at the highest of levels makes her finally slightly interesting as a character, as a human being (because let's not forget, she is an actual real person, in the real world, who exposed this hideous crime)? I am happy to know that at least she finally managed to interest you, dear critic X, and too many others with your opinion, as I am sure it was her aim.
And yes, you could say that it is irony that I am writing down my opinion regarding these comfy-couch-critics from the comfort of my own sofa. This is the first time I write a comment. But these couch-critics caught my eye, and yes, angered me. I won't be reading critics again. But the difference between you and I, is that I am going to wake up tomorrow, and go physically work with with individuals affected by trafficking, some of whom had experienced levels of violence not even depicted in this movie. The difference between us, I know what I am talking about.
½ March 17, 2016
Liked this allthow it's hard subject like young women being kidnapped and brought into prostetution ...but it still happens all over the world anno 2016 ! Fine acting by Rachel Weisz . SOMDVD
½ February 21, 2016
The only trouble I had was with the actors/characters who are wasted and disappear without explanation (like Benedict Cumberbatch), but still this is a riveting film based on a real story that is so horrendous (a huge stain in the history of the UN) that it would be hard to believe if it were fiction.
September 14, 2015
Thought it was something very big deal involving some kind of huge international conspiracy... no complaints though.
September 5, 2015
True story about how UN personnel in Bosnia were involved in sex trafficking and cover-up, while the one woman who dared blow the whistle is blocked and thwarted at every turn. This disturbing and infuriating story is told with some narrative weaknesses, but Rachel Weisz is excellent and holds viewer attention. The more popular 2009 film, TAKEN, also covered the vast industry of human trafficking, but instead of Liam Neeson playing James Bond on the bad guys, WHISTLEBLOWER goes deeper into the atrocity. It shows how the "good guys" are not only the customers but the enablers and protectors. It also shows an R-rated version of the victims. Some scenes show how brutally the women are treated. Painful to watch, but important to see because human trafficking is very real and, apparently, very protected. Movies on human trafficking are hamstrung out of the gate. In 2010, TAKEN was dumped on Super Bowl weekend, the worst movie weekend in winter. But against expectations, it earned over $228 million in over 3000 screens. The next year, the more shocking and more incriminating WHISTLEBLOWER was left for dead, dumped into a few theaters in the dog days of summer 2011, earning only $1.1 million. Strange that a film with an Oscar-winning lead (Rachel Weisz), supporting star power (Vanessa Redgrave, and Monica Bellucci), a gripping topic, and critical acclaim (78% on Rotten Tomatoes). It also took 8 years to get the film off the ground and only went through after Weisz signed on. The tiny box office earnings on such a film would have to be engineered. This movie needs to be seen.
½ February 15, 2015
This true story is harrowing. Not for the faint at heart.
September 29, 2014
This film is just impressive and did not see it coming. It has very slow start and suddenly it starts to get more interesting. Kondracki's debut suspense will grip you out on a mysterious plot as Weiz's portrayal of Kathryn Bolkovac was based on real events against human trafficking
½ August 22, 2014
The story itself is of course a worthy tale to tell, it tried to be less Hollywood, but was still Hollywood, still very watchable
July 17, 2014
Rachel Weisz is great but it all feels so routine and unwillingly to go the extra mile.
June 7, 2014
The Whistleblower full of crime drama cliches, starts quite slowly, and focuses too much on the lead character rather then the subject. Thankfully, the director has her heart in the right place, and overall the film effectively informs you about human trafficking, and Rachel Weisz gives quite a performance in the lead role.
½ May 27, 2014
Fairly decent thriller about a transferred police officer who uncovers some shocking truth about wrong on goings regarding decorated lawful personnel and she faces a fight to bring them to justice
May 23, 2014
Interesting , not spectecular
But the second time seen , not bad eighter !
May 17, 2014
Despite occasionally distracting directing and cinematography, this one will own you from start to finish. Weisz is great, per usual. However, if you say you wouldn't have preferred to see Stallone or Statham ride in and destroy all the bad guys at the climax, you're kidding yourself.
May 4, 2014
Powerful, eviscerating and disgusting state of affairs is revealed in this movie. Because it is based on true events makes it all the more demoralizing to think that the people sent to protect the victims of war abuse their status all to satisfy their dicks, greed and need for power. The world is a mess.
April 29, 2014
A story that needed to be told. Nit out of this world per se but Rachel Weisz did a good job
April 25, 2014
One of Rachel Weisz's best act. A raw and horrifying take on the human trafficking in post-war Bosnia.