The Wolfpack Reviews

• May 31, 2019

On the surface, The Wolfpack looks to be a tale of strangeness and queerness but beneath it all is actually a story of great sadness and fear that really spoke to me. The director does well not to exploit the family in any sense and allow us to gain an understanding of the boys fascination with movies and why they are how they are. The father is clearly and abusive egomaniac with a god complex and the boys didn't know any different until the elder ones matured and started thinking more for themselves. The saving grace of the story is the boys as a unit, there always there for each other and their mother who shows them love and affection that their father derives them of. It's a documentary about the magic of movies and how we can get lost in them but more importantly it's about the importance of family, free-will and the ability to be who you want to be and do what you want to do. Heart-wrenching and uplifting.

• Aug 10, 2018

Even without the problems of consent and invasiveness brought in, the film still seems like an exercise in having a great story fall into your lap and not knowing quite what to do with it.

• Aug 01, 2018

3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B

3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B

• Jun 07, 2018

Some disturbing scenes occur in this otherwise myopic and aimless doco that feels more like a student film than a documentary release. Story focuses on a group of movie-fixated kids who's 'home schooling' basically means being shut indoors until they are teenagers, stoked not so much by the threat of urban violence or youthful mischief as the pathologically controlling tendencies of their inadequate parents. The film never really explains, or explores why the parents are so (insanely) controlling, and the film becomes largely aimless sometime after the midway point. The characters are, I guess willingly, part of an exploration of an underprivileged family that feels more exploitative than anything else at times. The Wolfpack lacks story beats or craft; the film is a typically unflattering attempt at "real" film art from New York, but like most other "real" cultural products from the great city, it simply doesn't add up.

• May 07, 2018

A troubling window into family cut off, isolated from the world. It's disturbing how alienated these kids are due to a father with such issues, but also touching how they found such solace in film. The fact that these kids were able to turn out as well adjusted as they are, thanks to film is something to behold. It's also comforting.

• Jun 03, 2017

Pretty standard documentary about a rather odd family. Maybe the strangest thing about them is that they're not even more messed up given the way they were brought up. Should be noted that they are pretty damn talented at making props for films etc and their acting is surprisingly good. They have talent for sure.

• Feb 05, 2017

The Wolfpack is interesting and highly respectful, but lacks some cinematographic excellence. Still, important for many to see, but you need the right mindset for this documentary. It seems to properly start after 30min.

• Jan 02, 2017

Cinephiles everywhere will love this.

Cinephiles everywhere will love this.

• Dec 31, 2016

7 kids, one apartment, a lot of time on their hands, no experience with the outside world, all the movies they can watch. What you have is one peculiar documentary about perhaps the most interesting family I've ever seen in film. The film doesn't always give them the kind of star treatment they need, but director Crystal Moselle was just out of film school at the time, so let's not forget to grade this on a curve. Actually, the fact that she made this straight out of film school is a magnificent feat. The Wolfpack is fascinating, haunting, and hopeful. I felt for these 7 kids. I liked them, a lot. They are so sweet, and curious about the world, and they articulate it through the movies. You know, I relate to that so much. I for one, have lived through the movies as well, perhaps not as thoroughly as these guys, but when you have social anxiety as a child you tend to gravitate towards the make-believe. I loved these kids, I hated their father (even though he seemed to redeem himself at the end), and I wish them all the best of luck going forward. This documentary is GOOD.

• Nov 10, 2016

Not a mind-blower, but fairly interesting.

Not a mind-blower, but fairly interesting.