The World Reviews

• Nov 16, 2014

O que resta a essas personagens, e talvez a nós cidadãos do mundo globalizado, é tocar da melhor maneira possível o seu caminho irresoluto e limitado, cujo maior regozijo é o escape ilusório proporcionado pelas imagens do kitsh da globalização. Leia mais: http://cinema-mon-amour31.webnode.com/news/o-mundo-shijie-de-zhang-ke-jia-china-2004-/

• Aug 20, 2014

Review In A Nutshell: I just couldn't connect with the characters or the problems they are going through. The film also is paced slowly, which I wouldn't have minded if its content delivered something care-worthy. Though I was pleased with the natural performances from the cast and the film's musical score was memorable. This is a film I certainly need to watch at least once more as I am aware that it has something important or worthy to offer.

• Aug 20, 2014

• Apr 08, 2014

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 (2004) The World (In Mandarin with English subtitles) DRAMA/ SOCIAL COMMENTARY Written and directed by Zhangke Jia which is called "The World" because of it's a reference to one of China's or Beijing's most visited parks, full of popular monument replicas of famous statuettes of other cities such as "The Great Pyramids", "The Tower Of Pisa" and "New York City's The Twin Towers". But along with those monuments are the people who work there which is where the story focuses on, are the relationships regarding a small group of people who work at the park. Had to watch the first hour of this movie again to absorb it's situations as well as it's customs, since I don't live there. Which almost seemed like a social commentary film about the people of China who are not granted exited visas to travel anywhere. The closest thing they ever come in seeing "The World" is when they're working and managing the park, for much of them never make enough money to go abroad, nor do they ever find the time to travel, since they're working so much. Or that the closest thing much of the Chinese population can ever go to see some of the famous parks that exist throughout the world, is when they go to fake looking ones from "The World" park. For a point was made, when one of the workers had said that they're probably more Chinese people who had never been to a jet airline plane before, which can be a direct referral to the Chinese people living in villages- and not just the cities. They're times the film felt long, showcasing Chinese traditions mixed with current customs which the characters were still using their hands to clean their clothes, instead of using washing machines. And that the closest updated technology device they had ever use are their cell phones. Strong 3 out of 4 stars

• Feb 02, 2014

Friendship and romance backstage at the Beijing theme park THE WORLD. There's some good stuff here but it has difficulty emerging from the rather monotone presentation. The opening scene and protagonist Tao 's friendship with a Russian performer are the highlights.

• Dec 11, 2013

a slow-paced sort-of-early- masterpiece by a really great director. a truly minimalist masterwork! looking forward to A TOUCH OF SIN!

• Apr 06, 2012

La forma en que está construida es bastante particular, sentí que no me llevaba para ningún lado, que no avanzaba, pero al fina es evidente que ese es el propósito. He estudiado chinese por algunos años (con un progreso bastante insatisfactorio) y nunca había estado en contacto con una representación tan cruda de la realidad de los chinos. Según la película, un país con una fachada preciosa, que se mantiene a costa de la miseria de muchos.

• Apr 15, 2011

I know the stereotype of the Chinese being able to clone everything, but this is ridiculous.

• Apr 05, 2011

All Over The Map And Unnecessarily Long. The Lead Female Is Very Unsympathetic Throughout And It Makes It Hard To Care For Anything She Does, Especially With Her Relationships With Men.

• Mar 14, 2011

Neoliberal, globalizing capitalism has alienated, commodified, corrupted, prostituted, devastated (formerly/nominally communist) China (along with the rest of the world).