The Wrestler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrestler Reviews

July 21, 2017
My brother bought this for me, a Korean import. As I watched this movie with subtitles on the bottom, I witnessed Mickey Rourke in one of the best performances ever and a strange plot becoming very dear to me. Don't know how Aronofsky did it, but it's brilliant, maybe it's the subtitles.
jamrcla
July 19, 2017
It's hard after watching this to not compare it to the Rocky series as it's basically Rocky 1,5 & 6 in one film except wrestling not boxing, The film itself is brilliant, A very slow burner at times but a well told story and some great acting performances really help things along, Especially Mickey Rourke who puts in the performance of his life, Being a hardcore wrestling fan I kicked myself waiting so long to watch this, The ending was perfect and you could call it a cliffhanger but it was more of a relief that it let's you decide in your heart what happened but that haunting song after the film finishes only makes you think one way, If you're a fan of the Rocky films you should love this or even just love a great drama with a little twist to the norm you will love this too.
July 7, 2017
not as good as i had excepted...
½ May 31, 2017
An honest and raw character study that, like many of Aronofsky's other films, is about desperate people clawing toward status; deeply complex humans that are utterly dissatisfied with their place in life.
½ May 30, 2017
I'm a sucker for sports films, and I've always wanted to watch The Wrestler. I finally came around to watching it, and I was really impressed with Mickey Rourke's comeback performance. Darren Aronofsky is behind the camera about a rundown wrestler trying to relive his glory days. The character development is what really drives this film home, and there are many relatable and touching moments from The Ram when it comes to his struggles with both his daughter and his love interest. There are many dark moments when we see how far Randy will go to make some money and stay relevant. I didn't find many things wrong with the film, and I was very into the movie the whole time. This is one of Aronofsky's finest outputs, and it is an eye-opener with how powerful Mickey Rourke was as well.
May 4, 2017
A sad and miserable movie that I didn't really connect with. Very overrated. (First and only viewing - 9/4/2016)
April 16, 2017
You know a movie is good if it makes you think about it for a while after. The cinematography is fantastic. The story is very true to life and relatable
½ April 4, 2017
This is a great film topped off by Mickey Rourke's outstanding performance. It's about a wrestler who is forced to stop his career because he might die of a heart attack. The film shows him struggling to find something else in life he likes doing. He then meets an exotic dancer who he falls in love with who is also ready to start a new life. His acting performance is definitely one of the more iconic ones of the last couple decades. The movie is about his struggle to move on with life and his new found girlfriend and his daughter both give him courage to move on and we can sympathize with him. The ending is ambiguous and it leaves room for discussion so the viewer can decide whether ending he prefers. I'm not going to spoil the ending but it makes us think if he made the right or wrong choice so I appreciate the choice the film made. I don't think younger audiences would be able to relate with Randy "The Ram" because it contains some deep concepts but older people would likely be able to relate with him and enjoy the movie more. If you like wresting and want to see a moving story about passion then this movie is for you.
½ March 27, 2017
Best Rourke comeback
March 19, 2017
Aronofsky and company manage to find the humanity in the exploitative worlds of professional wrestling, stripping, and 80s hair metal, but it really isn't very pretty or glamorous. The deeply flawed characters are portrayed with sympathy, while being cast in an unapologetic light. The protagonist is much more a subject of study than a hero. While the WWE might suffer from too much focus on the microphone, I think that the weak-link in Mickey Rourke's performance is his in-ring persona and mic-work.
½ March 4, 2017
Very sad movie yet very honest. Brilliant acting. Another must see.
February 27, 2017
This is an amazing character piece directed by Darren Aronofsky. This whole film works because of Mickey Rourke, he doesn't just play Randy "The Ram" Robinson he becomes him. This is easily Mickey Rourke's best performance of his career. Marisa Tomei is great in this film as well. This film will have you cheering for Randy because you feel so bad for his character. Who was once upon a time a big time wrestling star in the 80's who is now struggling to pay rent. He is alone and even admit that he sucks in the real world and that the only world he knows is in the ring. Definitely check this movie out it is a great character piece.
February 27, 2017
The Wrestler is a highly intriguing and entertaining movie, with a great performance by Mickey Rourke and a thoughtful story.
½ February 26, 2017
"I Can't Get Hurt Out There."
February 10, 2017
this defines a classic movie, raw, dirty....greatness.
January 29, 2017
Mickey Rorke's finest performance! He should be an Oscar contender for this stellar portrayal of a most unusual character. Every performance is spot on and the dialigue and story line do not disappoint. This is a must see for drama lovers and Mickey Rourke lovers as well.
½ January 19, 2017
Amazing all around. Great cast, story and acting. Rourke's finest moment.
½ December 17, 2016
Aronofsky delivers a true gem that's gritty, well acted, and all too real. Any film that can make such a unique character so relatable and make you feel for them while giving you a suspenseful ending deserves some kudos.
December 2, 2016
Good idea, it just dragged for me.
November 12, 2016
I started off with high doses of skepticism, expecting the hollow melodrama that usually accompanies sports movies. "The Wrestler" proved to be gut wrenching and heart breaking, spiced up with a phenomenal acting performance by Mickey Rourke. The build up is remarkable, it gets darker and darker and, by the end, it goes to places you wish it hadn't. All in all, a worthy piece of cinematography.