The Wrestler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrestler Reviews

April 16, 2017
You know a movie is good if it makes you think about it for a while after. The cinematography is fantastic. The story is very true to life and relatable
½ April 4, 2017
This is a great film topped off by Mickey Rourke's outstanding performance. It's about a wrestler who is forced to stop his career because he might die of a heart attack. The film shows him struggling to find something else in life he likes doing. He then meets an exotic dancer who he falls in love with who is also ready to start a new life. His acting performance is definitely one of the more iconic ones of the last couple decades. The movie is about his struggle to move on with life and his new found girlfriend and his daughter both give him courage to move on and we can sympathize with him. The ending is ambiguous and it leaves room for discussion so the viewer can decide whether ending he prefers. I'm not going to spoil the ending but it makes us think if he made the right or wrong choice so I appreciate the choice the film made. I don't think younger audiences would be able to relate with Randy "The Ram" because it contains some deep concepts but older people would likely be able to relate with him and enjoy the movie more. If you like wresting and want to see a moving story about passion then this movie is for you.
½ March 27, 2017
Best Rourke comeback
March 19, 2017
Aronofsky and company manage to find the humanity in the exploitative worlds of professional wrestling, stripping, and 80s hair metal, but it really isn't very pretty or glamorous. The deeply flawed characters are portrayed with sympathy, while being cast in an unapologetic light. The protagonist is much more a subject of study than a hero. While the WWE might suffer from too much focus on the microphone, I think that the weak-link in Mickey Rourke's performance is his in-ring persona and mic-work.
½ March 4, 2017
Very sad movie yet very honest. Brilliant acting. Another must see.
February 27, 2017
This is an amazing character piece directed by Darren Aronofsky. This whole film works because of Mickey Rourke, he doesn't just play Randy "The Ram" Robinson he becomes him. This is easily Mickey Rourke's best performance of his career. Marisa Tomei is great in this film as well. This film will have you cheering for Randy because you feel so bad for his character. Who was once upon a time a big time wrestling star in the 80's who is now struggling to pay rent. He is alone and even admit that he sucks in the real world and that the only world he knows is in the ring. Definitely check this movie out it is a great character piece.
February 27, 2017
The Wrestler is a highly intriguing and entertaining movie, with a great performance by Mickey Rourke and a thoughtful story.
½ February 26, 2017
"I Can't Get Hurt Out There."
February 10, 2017
this defines a classic movie, raw, dirty....greatness.
January 29, 2017
Mickey Rorke's finest performance! He should be an Oscar contender for this stellar portrayal of a most unusual character. Every performance is spot on and the dialigue and story line do not disappoint. This is a must see for drama lovers and Mickey Rourke lovers as well.
½ January 19, 2017
Amazing all around. Great cast, story and acting. Rourke's finest moment.
½ December 17, 2016
Aronofsky delivers a true gem that's gritty, well acted, and all too real. Any film that can make such a unique character so relatable and make you feel for them while giving you a suspenseful ending deserves some kudos.
December 2, 2016
Good idea, it just dragged for me.
½ November 30, 2016
An honest and raw character study with one of the most harrowing lead performances I've seen in some time. Darren Aronofsky is a master.
November 12, 2016
I started off with high doses of skepticism, expecting the hollow melodrama that usually accompanies sports movies. "The Wrestler" proved to be gut wrenching and heart breaking, spiced up with a phenomenal acting performance by Mickey Rourke. The build up is remarkable, it gets darker and darker and, by the end, it goes to places you wish it hadn't. All in all, a worthy piece of cinematography.
October 31, 2016
Mickey Rourke gives one of the best performances I've seen in a long time in this movie about an aged wrestler struggling with life and still trying to have a wrestling career long after his prime is over. This movie was amazing and I have to say that Marisa Tomei also gave a stunning performance.
September 16, 2016
The Wrestler is a incredible character study about a veteran wrestler who must find meaning and substance in his life after 20 years of being out of the spotlight. It's a comeback story, one you must not miss out on. It's Rourke's best performance, by far. He disappears in this role, making it extremely believable and heartfelt. The Wrestler also boasts great writing and a relatable tale of how a human being can overcome obstacles. Aronofsky and company have created a masterpiece.
September 10, 2016
Mickey Rourke gives a powerful performance in a film that's very emotional and dramatically satisfying.
September 5, 2016
A sad and miserable movie that I didn't really connect with. Very overrated. (First and only viewing - 9/4/2016)
½ September 4, 2016
Mickey Rourke believably portrays a down-and-out professional wrestler in this astounding and bleak redemption story that's anything but generic.