The Wrestler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrestler Reviews

February 10, 2017
this defines a classic movie, raw, dirty....greatness.
January 29, 2017
Mickey Rorke's finest performance! He should be an Oscar contender for this stellar portrayal of a most unusual character. Every performance is spot on and the dialigue and story line do not disappoint. This is a must see for drama lovers and Mickey Rourke lovers as well.
½ January 19, 2017
Amazing all around. Great cast, story and acting. Rourke's finest moment.
January 6, 2017
Best Rourke comeback
½ December 17, 2016
Aronofsky delivers a true gem that's gritty, well acted, and all too real. Any film that can make such a unique character so relatable and make you feel for them while giving you a suspenseful ending deserves some kudos.
December 2, 2016
Good idea, it just dragged for me.
½ November 30, 2016
An honest and raw character study with one of the most harrowing lead performances I've seen in some time. Darren Aronofsky is a master.
½ November 16, 2016
Very sad movie. Brilliant acting. Another must see.
November 12, 2016
I started off with high doses of skepticism, expecting the hollow melodrama that usually accompanies sports movies. "The Wrestler" proved to be gut wrenching and heart breaking, spiced up with a phenomenal acting performance by Mickey Rourke. The build up is remarkable, it gets darker and darker and, by the end, it goes to places you wish it hadn't. All in all, a worthy piece of cinematography.
October 31, 2016
Mickey Rourke gives one of the best performances I've seen in a long time in this movie about an aged wrestler struggling with life and still trying to have a wrestling career long after his prime is over. This movie was amazing and I have to say that Marisa Tomei also gave a stunning performance.
September 16, 2016
The Wrestler is a incredible character study about a veteran wrestler who must find meaning and substance in his life after 20 years of being out of the spotlight. It's a comeback story, one you must not miss out on. It's Rourke's best performance, by far. He disappears in this role, making it extremely believable and heartfelt. The Wrestler also boasts great writing and a relatable tale of how a human being can overcome obstacles. Aronofsky and company have created a masterpiece.
September 10, 2016
Mickey Rourke gives a powerful performance in a film that's very emotional and dramatically satisfying.
September 5, 2016
A sad and miserable movie that I didn't really connect with. Very overrated. (First and only viewing - 9/4/2016)
½ September 4, 2016
Mickey Rourke believably portrays a down-and-out professional wrestler in this astounding and bleak redemption story that's anything but generic.
August 28, 2016
A surprising movie about a sport that a lot of people, including me, think as a bluff.
The outstanding performance of Mickey Rourke makes you understand the real hardship of some too often overlooked.
Amazing direction, photography and soundrack are the finishing touches for a masterpiece.
August 28, 2016
½ August 12, 2016
August 11, 2016
A truly flawless movie that truly depicts the love of showmanship that pro-wrestlers have, that feeling of the crowd cheering them on, it's truly prevalent in this movie.
I could be biased as a life long wrestling fan but as the years have gone on my love has dissipated. But this performance by Mickey Rourke truly shows the life of an indie star/washed up star. It brings you in and continues to pull you in as you can't help but cheer for Randy the ram Robinson if you haven't seen it yet WATCH IT! You won't regret it!
½ August 11, 2016
Feels like a role Rourke was born to play. Aranofsky's films are always tough to watch but at the same time hard to turn away from, and this is no exception. It explores themes of forgiveness, fame and coming to terms with the past with a tragic script with Randy "The Ram" at the center embodying the celebrity fading from the spotlight.
½ August 4, 2016
This is a very well-made film and probably Darren Aronofsky's most emotionally engaging and humane film to date. Throughout the film, I found myself often cheering for the protagonist even though he is a fuck-up and sometimes reckless. But I think those characteristics are the reasons why this film resonated with me more than I expected it to; this is a film about a deeply flawed person doing the one thing he is good at. He doesn't care what people around him think of him, he does it for himself because wrestling is his life. The film is very sympathetic toward him and I like that about it. Mickey Rourke gives the career-best performance. He made me care deeply about his character, a character who could've been portrayed as a selfish, stubborn guy with no redeeming quality. There is so much humanity and truth to his performance. Darren Aronofsky did a magnificent job directing this film. Never thought that he is capable of making a film that is touching, poignant, and emotionally rewarding. It's great.