The Yellow Birds Reviews

• Oct 24, 2019

Very eye-opening and educational in the sense of experience. 10/10

Very eye-opening and educational in the sense of experience. 10/10

• Sep 20, 2019

Confuso, entra passado, entra o presente, fica em um mistério, e acabam meio que sem lógica, com uma mentira talvez

• Aug 02, 2019

I think the reviews were way off. The movie was great!

I think the reviews were way off. The movie was great!

• Jun 23, 2019

The yellow birds is a decent war movie that shares many similar things we’ve seen before. The performances are decent with a good cast and it has a good message. Unfortunately parts of the movie do drag and parts of it feel too much like other movies that I’ve seen that deal with the same issues. It’s a decent movie better than the usual but there’s not enough here to differentiate itself among the crowd.

• May 31, 2019

My background for reviewing the film: I was an enlisted soldier during the first Gulf war (never saw combat but was in an artillery unit) and later studied Arabic to become proficient. I work in the Middle East. Yes, the movie is slow but I was totally engrossed in the story, sounds and visuals and I think even for general audiences it would have worked if there had been a payoff. I liked the movie right up until the big reveal. I won't spoil it except to say the choices are totally unrealistic for enlisted soldiers. The solution to that situation could only come from myopic film makers not from soldiers in the field. There are so many other 'not yet overdone on film' choices they could have put in there instead to make this an interesting movie. I saw one of the official RT critics here refer to the ending as prosaic. No - it was merely nonsensical. Another unrealistic issue is that the sergeant who tattooed (كافر) kaafir (Arabic for "unbeliever" - tattooed against regulations by a subculture of right wing "Crusader" military types as a middle finger to the Iraqis and to Muslims generally) is not the psychological profile of a guy who's able to go and chat it up with locals. Also absurd. The accent of the older people he spoke with is hard for non-native speakers (usually older people have a harder time reverting to standard Arabic because they came of age in a time before TV was ubiquitous) let alone a soldier who probably just knows a few words related to family members and directions. Another official movie critic in RT was confused by the title. As anyone who went to basic training knows "the yellow bird with a yellow bill" is an infamous running and marching song. You see it briefly in an early scene. But of course the fate of the bird in the song can relate to the tragic course of the film's protagonists. The only positive thing I can say is the ending does make me want to check out the book because it is supposed to be based on its author's real experiences. So a success for the author insofar as I'm going to finally pick the book off my shelf. But I don't expect to find the film ending there because that ending we would all have heard about in the news amidst a major investigation.

• Feb 27, 2019

Horrible writing and is a completely negative representation of The United States Army and its code of honor in never leaving a fallen soldier behind. This movie gives a horrible lack of leadership from The United States Army and the codes we live by, which is completely false. Yes we have gone through terrible times as soldiers in war and we have experienced difficulties when adjusting to life after combat from Iraq and Afghanistan. But this movie fails to grasp the reality of brotherhood and family in which we would never pull a horrible criminal stunt that this movie portrays. Extremely disappointed in this version or attempt to explain the hardships that some soldiers endure while in combat.

• Feb 25, 2019

The Yellow Birds is a slow, depressing, and cliched war drama wasting the talents of its strong cast on a mundane story.

• Jan 03, 2019

Slow and sad and strange

Slow and sad and strange

• Jan 02, 2019

Plodding.....cliche. Skip it

Plodding.....cliche. Skip it

• Dec 31, 2018

Movie would have been so much better if the story had not had the stupid ending with the cover up.